Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really I'm not convinced. Has "blueboy99" actually said he's bluefox or is that just somebody's assumption?

Got to be honest, their posting styles are nothing alike, not even close to bluefox and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that remembers foxy very well.

Possibly, Phooey.

Hope I'm not misleading anyone.

Jonte

Um no - You are talking about 1st place and 2nd place with 86 points and nearly identical GD (+45 and +46) both incredible seasons. Not 4th place and 5th place with with 61 points and 72 point respectively and a GD of 23. Talk about delusional - That isn't even a valid argument - I never would say that 2nd with +46 is mediocre. try coming up with a representative comparison - because honestly this one is a joke.

Seriously, the joke's on you if you think a certain amount of points & GD gets you a certain position. Stick to baseball hitting stats, because it appears obvious you know little about football.

This whole argument that points are better than league positions is total cack. We held the record top-flight points accumulated, we have scored the most top flight goals - but we don't have 20 league titles, do we?

The only person who would come close to universal approval is Mourinho, and even then there are some who would be unsure / uneasy at the prospect. Certainly, if we want to trend on Twitter and have Sky fawning attention on us, he is the man.

I don't envy the board in their task, there is a dearth of well-recognised,high-quality managers out there. There are the 4 candidates mentioned, but I hope/imagine the club are assessing many more names. In essence they have to make the best possible offer to their top target, and if unsuccessful, do exactly the same with their 2nd choice, and so on down that list (hopefully without having to go too far down).

It does seem that the net will be cast much wider on this occasion. Clearly, Kenwright is ultra-conservative and lacking in imagination in that regard, the appointment of Martinez was lazy and convenient, with no indication that a thorough, extensive search was done.

Would still think Unai Emery is closest to what we need. If there is another Pochettino out there, I would suggest it's Leonardo Jardim, who would undoubtedly be a risk, but then in my opinion Frank De Boer would equally be so.

Still don't think Jose is achievable for us, and of the rest, though I too have reservations, Pellegrini would come closest to what we need IMHO.

The reason Moyes got more time is that he inherited a much weaker side with less money to spend

And, despite us bumming around lower mid table in his early days, you could see that he was putting together a solid outfit that were just lacking that odd bit of class in certain areas of the pitch

We went from being whipping boys to being a team that were difficult to beat, which eventually culminated in the great finish of 04/05. That's another point to consider as well, Moyes had an awful time in his second full season, like Martinez, but pulled it back spectactularly in his third one, which Martinez hasn't

Martinez can't defend. His defensive tactics are absolute arse. Even if he had a better calibre of player, I think we'd still leak goals

If you gave David Moyes a World Class defense (Which he didn't have at Man United btw) then he might play some dull football, but he'd at least keep it tight at the back

You could give Martinez a back 5 of Lev Yashin, Ray Wilson, Bobby Moore, Franz Beckenbauer and Cafu, all in their primes, and his side would still leak goals at a horrifying rate because he's an awful defensive coach

In the English League, you need to be defensively solid. That's why Leicester won the title this year and Chelsea won it the year before

Martinez would probably do much better on the continent (And he probably will based on his Europa League tactics), but he's shown at both clubs that he's managed in the top flight in England that he's AWFUL at organising a defence. He had one good season in 13/14 with defending, but that was an aberation

THIS is why Martinez doesn't get the same leniancy as Moyes did (And even then I think a lot of people would argue that Moyes should have really left after the Final in 2009)

Moyes at least showed that he could have top half consistency in the English top flight.

Martinez hasn't

He's had one top half finish with us, in his first season before all the other sides sussed out his tactical flaws, and a Cup win with Wigan where we handed them a Quarter Final win, they got the soft draw in Millwall for the Semi Final and they played a City team in disarray who had just sacked their manager on the day of the Final

All the positives of Martinez (The attacking play, giving youth a chance, the positive mentality, the fact he clearly "gets" Everton) are all outweighed by the Chernobyl sized negative of his positively horrendous defensive organisation

Moyes had negatives, quite a number in fact, but at least he could organise a defence and, whether you like it or not, defensive stablility is ultimately more important in this league than attacking flair. You need both to stand a good chance of winning something, but you can survive on being a strong defensive outfit with a "meh" attack. As teams like Wigan, Blackpool and Charlton have shown over the years, it's a lot harder to survive when it's the other way around

Regardless of how much money he has to spend, Roberto Martinez's lack of defensive nous will mean he will never achieve anything in the English League. He may win cups both in England and abroad, but he'll never win the Premier League or be at the helm of a team that regularly finishes in the European places because he just can't keep it tight enough at the back and he's far too stubborn to bring in a top defensive coach to help him

For anyone still harbouring doubts that Martinez will be with us for the summer, apart from whats been said on here, just consider that there has been no supporting statements from the board, and more critically given the public knowledge that we will have significant transfer funds available to us, no discussion nor questions as to his targets and plans for the summer, either generally or specifically.

The silence of the board is, now the defining week has passed by, actually a decent business strategy albeit unfortunate for fans and for Martinez to some extent. By not commenting it allows us to get on with the business of replacing him a little easier than would otherwise be the case.

Totally relaxed here, just can't wait for this season to be completed - I am actually looking forward to the close season in the knowledge it is going to be much more pleasant than the last few months.

Who would be your first choice replacement - I mean if it was up to you, not based on what you know!?

The reason Moyes got more time is that he inherited a much weaker side with less money to spend

And, despite us bumming around lower mid table in his early days, you could see that he was putting together a solid outfit that were just lacking that odd bit of class in certain areas of the pitch

We went from being whipping boys to being a team that were difficult to beat, which eventually culminated in the great finish of 04/05. That's another point to consider as well, Moyes had an awful time in his second full season, like Martinez, but pulled it back spectactularly in his third one, which Martinez hasn't

Martinez can't defend. His defensive tactics are absolute arse. Even if he had a better calibre of player, I think we'd still leak goals

If you gave David Moyes a World Class defense (Which he didn't have at Man United btw) then he might play some dull football, but he'd at least keep it tight at the back

You could give Martinez a back 5 of Lev Yashin, Ray Wilson, Bobby Moore, Franz Beckenbauer and Cafu, all in their primes, and his side would still leak goals at a horrifying rate because he's an awful defensive coach

In the English League, you need to be defensively solid. That's why Leicester won the title this year and Chelsea won it the year before

Martinez would probably do much better on the continent (And he probably will based on his Europa League tactics), but he's shown at both clubs that he's managed in the top flight in England that he's AWFUL at organising a defence. He had one good season in 13/14 with defending, but that was an aberation

THIS is why Martinez doesn't get the same leniancy as Moyes did (And even then I think a lot of people would argue that Moyes should have really left after the Final in 2009)

Moyes at least showed that he could have top half consistency in the English top flight.

Martinez hasn't

He's had one top half finish with us, in his first season before all the other sides sussed out his tactical flaws, and a Cup win with Wigan where we handed them a Quarter Final win, they got the soft draw in Millwall for the Semi Final and they played a City team in disarray who had just sacked their manager on the day of the Final

All the positives of Martinez (The attacking play, giving youth a chance, the positive mentality, the fact he clearly "gets" Everton) are all outweighed by the Chernobyl sized negative of his positively horrendous defensive organisation

Moyes had negatives, quite a number in fact, but at least he could organise a defence and, whether you like it or not, defensive stablility is ultimately more important in this league than attacking flair. You need both to stand a good chance of winning something, but you can survive on being a strong defensive outfit with a "meh" attack. As teams like Wigan, Blackpool and Charlton have shown over the years, it's a lot harder to survive when it's the other way around

Regardless of how much money he has to spend, Roberto Martinez's lack of defensive nous will mean he will never achieve anything in the English League. He may win cups both in England and abroad, but he'll never win the Premier League or be at the helm of a team that regularly finishes in the European places because he just can't keep it tight enough at the back and he's far too stubborn to bring in a top defensive coach to help him

Take a bow son...

Agree with every word Mikey.

His quotes of "clean sheets aren't important to me" and "the performance is more important than the result" sums up his 2 prime fatal flaws. He's not interested in creating a side that's defensively solid and he cares more about the perceived style than the actual result.

All the great sides where built from the back, you don't concede and you've got a chance of winning. Taking a defensively rigid side and adding some flair and added quality to it, is what happened in Martinez 1st season. In the 2 years since the defensive rigidity has been lost and we've been far too easy to score against. The fact that we don't even practice defending set pieces should give anyone a clue as to why that is.

To succeed in this league you have to have the right balance of attacking flair and solidity at the back, combined with a pragmatic game management style. Martinez simply doesn't have the balance right, we've been screaming it for 18 months plus, and he's simply refused to bend, and it's that failure to acknowledge the startlingly obvious which has lead to his demise.

All he would need to do would be to get a top defensive coach to counteract this as well

If he did that, I'd be willing to see him get a fourth season

As it is, he won't, so he has to go

Sad times, I would have loved it to work out for him here

Proper managers don't need to hire defensive coaches to help them stop being gash.

Proper managers realise football is about with the ball and without it, and set their teams up accordingly to maximise their effectiveness in both aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back