Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't seriously say the current Arsenal, United, and Chelsea teams come even close to the quality then. That was the point...
No mate.
I'm saying that from 6th down on the 2005/06 table have been replaced by clubs with far better squads with far bigger transfer kittys due the huge rise in income.
It's never been more competitive.

Why would it make me wrong about Martinez when he proved conclusively with 72 points on a smaller budget than any replacement that he was up to the task of getting Everton challenging for a CL place?

The first season he had here is an inconvenient truth for his critics. Hence the reason they attempt to ridicule it. Sorry, but it will stand the test of time and be used as a measuring point for ALL incoming managers in the near future.
It would make you wrong if the team stopped leaking goals and suddenly were succesful as a result. To be honest there is a few markers you can base the future on.

1. New manager is succesful here
2. New manager consistently gets around or beats 72 points, doesn't finish midtable
3. Martinez does not get a premier league job again for years (because no-one will touch him)
4. Martinez relegates another club out the league or comes close to doing it
5. In some crazy instance he is still here next season, he pushes us down to relegation

Now ask 90% of the everton or wigan fan base what they think? that is the funny thing, you disagree with pretty much the vast majority of everton fans who are epxeriencing it now, and probably the vast majoirty of the wigan fans as well who he sent down. and as pointed out, there is a massive range that martinez could achieve to prove he is a poor manager, yet as his only achievement in your eyes won us NOTHING, it makes no difference how many we achieved to finish 5th. the only thing that matters is the league place.

Said it before, if martinez was such a good manager, why couldn't he get anywhere near 72 points again then? Because this season it has cost him his job failing to do it.

Spot on. People happy with 4th.... Coming 4th used to get the manager the sack........
But we arent THAT everton anymore. Finances in the last 20-odd years havent allowed that.
You can aim as high as you want, without finances OR the right long-term plan to generate finances, success is highlly unlikely.

How many Leicesters have there been since the PL began?

You said he was being judged by people who supposedly had 'no right' in your World to judge him

He's being judged by match going Evertonians, and 93% of the fanbase according to this poll and many others like it.

So are we all unfit to pass judgement on his tenure?
Yes you are. Only industry experts have the ability to do that because they are objective and have no axe to grind.

Roberto Martinez is our manager and remains so. No protest is changing that fact. Only by a proper post season review will we know whether he will remain our manger, so I'd advise you and your cohorts to leave it to that process. You have no input into any decision.

Being deemed a failure by people not fit to judge him.

Our best PL era manager on the only reasonable measure of points amassed in one season.

Two cup semi final runs in one season - best since the 80s.

Two midtable finishes.

In three seasons that is enough to keep his job easily. Any ridiculing of that record reflects more on the critic than Martinez. Something we'll see in the fullness of time when some divvy is hired and given a warchest and blows it.

Tick tock.
David!
Whilst we are side by side in battle, I have to say there is no need for "Being deemed a failure by people not fit to judge him."

i'm with you, 100%, but let's keep it civil at least!

David!
Whilst we are side by side in battle, I have to say there is no need for "Being deemed a failure by people not fit to judge him."

i'm with you, 100%, but let's keep it civil at least!
I don't think anyone seething with anger is in any position to judge anyone with clarity. That's where we are right now.

Yes you are. Only industry experts have the ability to do that because they are objective and have no axe to grind.

Roberto Martinez is our manager and remains so. No protest is changing that fact. Only by a proper post season review will we know whether he will remain our manger, so I'd advise you and your cohorts to leave it to that process. You have no input into any decision.
So what be the targets on the post season review ?

The day cannot come quick enough for the mods to lock this thread when we have a new manager.

Then the new manager polls will start. INEVITABLE.

It's where we are now at this club. Referendums after every match. That's the new reality.

Feels like he's staying. Can't think of anything more depressing regarding Everton.

Same old board with same non existent ambition.

So 93% of Evertonians aren't qualified to pass judgement on his tenure, but the 'industry experts' supposedly are? lol

Go have a lie down, you've finally tipped over the edge lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back