Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will always be that Everton. Everyone has got money now and it's time to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and remember just who we support. When we start to demand success and stop believing that 4th is a result, then we will get back to winning trophies....

Well when the PL began, Utd were crap, Chelsea were crap, City were crap and Spurs were crap.....
I get what you say I want trophies too in my comment with davek above I was stating that Martinez had said on his own words he'll get us champions league tbh I Carnt see him doing it

Can just imagine him if we beat Leicester "it's a phenomenal achivment for us to beat the league champions, it shows what we have managed to achieve with all the hard work we have put in this season and the potential we have within the group"
That's exactly how it would pan out. WORD FOR WORD. Whats worse we can all see it coming. If we win we get the above....if we loose it'll be beacause our lads are tired from being in 2 semi's... aaaaaarggghh

Care to name a few of these supposed 'experts' then lad?

The only people who are supposedly qualified enough on football matters to have an opinion on Martinez tenure...

Unlike match going Blues and 93% of the total fanbase, who's views aren't worth a light in your World.......

Mate, I will save you the time and effort. The "industry experts" whom he refers to such as Alex ferguson, Merson, Sutton and only as recently as yesterday Michael Ball have all been subject to his vile comments when questioning Martinez this season.

I would vault him, but cannot be arsed. Do yourself a favour, don't debate with a robot, it's programmed to do one thing only, spit out anger and rage because it has been made to look a right old plant pot.

Mate, I will save you the time and effort. The "industry experts" whom he refers to such as Alex ferguson, Merson, Sutton and only as recently as yesterday Michael Ball have all been subject to his vile comments when questioning Martinez this season.

I would vault him, but cannot be arsed. Do yourself a favour, don't debate with a robot, it's programmed to do one thing only.

Ferguson I could understand, but the other three...'Experts'?

Southall made a comment over the weekend, which reminded me a lot of the way Moores perceived Everton. The Board has to set a target, what is that target? We're here to win the League. It's that simple. If you don't subscribe to that view or agree it's possible, that's fine.

However that's what we've always been about whether we were founding the league or the Premiership, that's the Everton way. To be the best. It isn't contemporary thought, it's woven into our fabric as a club, our identity. Do you think any of our heroes who've played for the club over the years would subscribe to any other view? They wouldn't and that's what made them winners.

Being deemed a failure by people not fit to judge him.

Our best PL era manager on the only reasonable measure of points amassed in one season.

Two cup semi final runs in one season - best since the 80s.

Two midtable finishes.

In three seasons that is enough to keep his job easily. Any ridiculing of that record reflects more on the critic than Martinez. Something we'll see in the fullness of time when some divvy is hired and given a warchest and blows it.

Tick tock.

So what are the qualifications/criteria that are deemed necessary to be able to judge?
Do you hold those qualifications?

Our best PL era manager on the only reasonable measure of points amassed in one season.

Unfortunately this is not some two bob game show where you can stand and shout that points make prizes. The prizes only come when you have more points than your rivals.

72 points means diddly squat when there are others with 73 and more.

Just like it is completely irrelevant what that points total may have won if it was another year – it is not another year and it didn’t win us anything. You might as well see if that points total would have won us the Eurovision song contest.

A very weak argument and hardly a measure of success. A beaten finalist is still the first loser and we didn’t even get there.

Two midtable finishes.

Not good enough – it’s not known as mid table mediocrity for nothing.

About time there was some ambition rather that settling for mediocrity. There also has to be some confidence that the people charged with realising that ambition can do it.

Although I probably don’t hold the required qualifications to be deemed fit to judge it does not appear that your man has the confidence of the board or the players any longer and also seems to be fragmenting the fanbase.

In three seasons that is enough to keep his job easily.

Debateable – that is what the likes of this forum are for. But you need to be clear that someone with a different opinion than you is not retarded in some way and is not a Kopite of Geordie.

Any ridiculing of that record reflects more on the critic than Martinez.

Opinion contrary to yours is not necessarily ridiculing now is it.

In the same way sticking doggedly to a failing regime or lost cause reflects on the holders of that point of view.

Something we'll see in the fullness of time when some divvy is hired and given a warchest and blows it

Are you qualified to judge the person that you don’t even know who it is yet? - oh you must be given that he is already a divvy and going to blow his chance also and you wouldn’t want to be accused of peddling double standards, contradicting yourself and losing any credibility to your points by applying a different set of criteria, comparisons or standards to everyone else on here.

Tick Tock

Absolutley!

That's just not true. Using any logic.

Look at the table in our CL year:

View attachment 22227
and this year:
View attachment 22229

I could drill down further into squad values, squad quality but I've got limited time before work. The point is, it's unquestionable that the PL is stronger and more competitive than its ever been. Stoke are tenth and have Shaqiri, Arnautovic and Bojan up front. Stoke.
What Moyes did was brilliant. You can only beat what's put in front of you, as they say. It isn't however a stick to beat the current manager with. It isn't what we should use to gauge what success is in the near future, not unless we spend big money.

More competitive from 4-20 yes, 1-4 though it's not even close to being how it was back then and is it stronger? Absolutely not hence why English sides are crap in Europe now.

look at the coefficients (an actual measure of the strength of leagues across the continent) the English league was top of Europe that particular season (04/05). Over Martinez's reign we are 4th across the continent.

I would vault him, but cannot be arsed. Do yourself a favour, don't debate with a robot, it's programmed to do one thing only, spit out anger and rage because it has been made to look a right old plant pot.
He won't respond, as every supposed 'expert' who could possibly fall into the category he's now decided is the only level who are qualified to pass judgement.....Have all come out in recent weeks and questioned his tenure and what he's delivered as Everton manager in the last 2 years.

I think it's called clutching at straws.

Insulting the intelligence of 93% of the entire fanbase is a wild haymaker even by his standards though...

Two midtable finishes.

In three seasons that is enough to keep his job easily. Any ridiculing of that record reflects more on the critic than Martinez. Something we'll see in the fullness of time when some divvy is hired and given a warchest and blows it.

Tick tock.

I get the impression that you would rather Everton failed next year just to say 'I told you so' i'd rather Everton succeed whoever is in charge, but I can see from performances and results over 2 seasons that Martinez isn't the right man at this present time, If he adapted his philosophy like Simone and considered his defence more (was pointed out in an ealier post) and lost his Wigan defencive coach then he may be more successful in time, but he's not looking like changing any time soon and I don't think Everton should lower there standards to just be someone's experiment in the hope that one day it will click

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back