Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the club do continue with him then I hope the fans act with class rather then abusing him. Just don't go the match
Nobody apart from a few extremely frustrated fan's have abused Martinez (even then I'd hardly call it abuse!) and that was only because the club decided to cut off any other means of legitimate protests. It's not nice to see I agree but we'll see it much more and continually on a larger scale until the powers that be taken action. The club really should announce something before the Norwich game because the post season parade will be ugly if they don't.

As much as I have enjoyed stones being involved with the team and welcomed it 2 years ago, is it not detrimental to him now to have this exposure?

The lad is still learning the game and recently he was our most senior defender available despite being out of form this season. Perhaps it can carry negative effects putting so much pressure on him so young, and giving him so much exposure to the game.

Compare to say playing him, but having an understanding that every now and again or whenever his fork is dropping that he sits on the bench for a more senior defender to fill in?

Right now he is open to all criticism and giving the chance he wouldn't be able to sit games out so he has to not only play but play an important role without any shelter from the flak that carries. .
I'm not saying don't play him, just thinking that not being able to shield him is a negative on his development

Spot on mate - I think most managers who have a history of bringing any rising star up through the ranks into the big time at an early age will have all spoken about the importance of managing that progression very carefully.

Whilst playing through some tough times, having dips in form, taking a bit of flak for it etc are all key lessons and important for that overall development, there can be fine lines between allowing for those key learning points to happen and the individual becoming affected by over exposure, having their confidence shattered etc..

Recovery from that sort of scenario could be lengthy process.

Even in that 72 point first season there were worrying signs, notably the 4-0 RS, 3-2 palace and 2-0 Southampton defeats. The latter 2 were particularly bad and where we threw away a champ league spot. Goals were lost to set pieces Scott Dann etc. Give him his dues tho overall that was of course a good season but looking back we lost momentum towards the end and not sure we have ever recovered.

Remember being 3-0 up after about 20 minutes versus the Barcodes and absolutely mullering them in the first half?

Then hanging on for grim death at the end, scraping a 3-2 victory.

Spot on mate - I think most managers who have a history of bringing any rising star up through the ranks into the big time at an early age will have all spoken about the importance of managing that progression very carefully.

Whilst playing through some tough times, having dips in form, taking a bit of flak for it etc are all key lessons and important for that overall development, there can be fine lines between allowing for those key learning points to happen and the individual becoming affected by over exposure, having their confidence shattered etc..

Recovery from that sort of scenario could be lengthy process.
yeah exactly, ross goes through the same procedure. There is no-one to replace him so he carries a lot of the creativity on his back whether he is in form or not. for such young players the burden is far too great, martinez clearly gambled on them being able to deal with it rather than look to protect them for the long run.

Look at city / united / arsenal and see how they protect their youngsters whenever they can. Sterling cost them 50 million yet is rested every now and again and not made to carry the burden that his price tag demands. Whether he was worth it, or is as good as his rep suggests is a different discussion. But City know the best thing they can do is make him part of a team, not be a focal point of it. 4-5 years down the line he will benefit greatly from it and take it upon himself to then become that player.

If ross doesn't play we have no-one, if stones doesn't play with jags or mori out, we have no-one but kids who have next to no experience in the league. At least rom has done what is expected of him, but again there is no-one at the club to pick up the goal scoring burden that he has.

there is no protection for them, if stones wants to do cruyff turns then he isn't getting instructed not to, he is baring the brunt of 40,000 fans who can see what the manage doesn't. that is not good for confidence or belief of the player who should not be first team every single week.

Remember being 3-0 up after about 20 minutes versus the Barcodes and absolutely mullering them in the first half?

The Villa home game after the derby too. We were awful that day, rescued by a boss Pienaar pass and an even bosser Mirallas free kick.

Similar happened away at Swansea, even though we played better. Late free kicks saved us a lot that season.

Not to devalue what they achieved that year at all, but those "fine margins" haven't looked close to swinging back in our favour since.

Ha, the presser just started. No promo from the club at all.

But some still think he's staying.
completely forgot we were having one as well haha

Personally i'm in a state of CBA these days. just get the games out the way type of thing, meaningless anyway.

be interesting to see if his press conferences get more business like and less BS as he knows he is leaving the club.

Remember the agricultural hoofball goal we scored for the third too when Howard just hail Mary'd it downfield straight through the centre of the pitch to Lukaku? Halcyon days

To be fair, we also didn't have much of a preseason in 2014, mainly due to Martinez feathering his own nest on TV monies at the World Cup with no care at all for us

I think it makes perfect sense to be holding back any info about pre season. There is no doubt wheels are in motion with a plan from the current regime already but I suspect that there will be enough flexibility to allow the new manager some leeway to tweak some aspects to suit what he and his team want to acheive.

The apparent state that thier fitness has been in this season - I think the first half of pre season should be simply running up and down Formby beach for 8 hours a day carrying sacks of coal. So that doesnt take much planning!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36189778

Image from article on LCFC

_89546932_squad_value.png.webp

yeah exactly, ross goes through the same procedure. There is no-one to replace him so he carries a lot of the creativity on his back whether he is in form or not. for such young players the burden is far too great, martinez clearly gambled on them being able to deal with it rather than look to protect them for the long run.

Look at city / united / arsenal and see how they protect their youngsters whenever they can. Sterling cost them 50 million yet is rested every now and again and not made to carry the burden that his price tag demands. Whether he was worth it, or is as good as his rep suggests is a different discussion. But City know the best thing they can do is make him part of a team, not be a focal point of it. 4-5 years down the line he will benefit greatly from it and take it upon himself to then become that player.

If ross doesn't play we have no-one, if stones doesn't play with jags or mori out, we have no-one but kids who have next to no experience in the league. At least rom has done what is expected of him, but again there is no-one at the club to pick up the goal scoring burden that he has.

there is no protection for them, if stones wants to do cruyff turns then he isn't getting instructed not to, he is baring the brunt of 40,000 fans who can see what the manage doesn't. that is not good for confidence or belief of the player who should not be first team every single week.

Currently, its easy to turn every discussion into an anti Martinez display, but until our back up squad is strong enough, younger players will not get the ideal amount of 'rest'. I think thesituation at City is different, Sterling has not played because he simply has not produced the goods when he has had the chance, and it is the poor form of Bony that has given the young guy(name escapes me) his chance, which he has taken. Martinez gets beaten with a new stick every day, and leaving Barkley out for a rest would create all sorts of fume on here. Stones was brilliant most of last season, but was not picked this season, for a while, because Jagielka and Funes Mori were more effective and less prone to errors. By all means blame Martinez for our defensive frailty, but don't knock him for trying to eradicate this frailty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back