Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's been told he's going, then they'll have agreed a severance deal, the terms of which are almost certainly bound by confidentiality on both sides, pre and post his departure.

Now it's got to this point I would have good money on the separation being by "mutual decision" and Roberto will wander off with a fat cheque and his dignity intact.

I think @The Esk has suggested it will be framed as mutual consent. Again - and I admit I'm partly just bored of being cynical - I think it reveals the attitude of the club in a positive manner that his dismissal is being handled in a way that causes the minimal amount of damage to his future career. It shows that, even if a manager fails, he will still be treated respectfully.

There are more important things at stake than Martinez, of course, but we'd be unheeding not to see this affair as an indication of how the board will operate in the future.

So you're using the limited chances that moyes gave Duffy - a player who did not play a single minute of senior football under Martinez - to illustrate that Martinez gave young defenders more chances. It's an interesting tactic, I'll give you that.
No just pointing out a simple fact moyes clearly never trusted young defenders, I'm pretty confident John stones wouldn't be anywhere near what he is now if moist was still here

I think @The Esk has suggested it will be framed as mutual consent. Again - and I admit I'm partly just bored of being cynical - I think it reveals the attitude of the club in a positive manner that his dismissal is being handled in a way that causes the minimal amount of damage to his future career. It shows that, even if a manager fails, he will still be treated respectfully.

There are more important things at stake than Martinez, of course, but we'd be unheeding not to see this affair as an indication of how the board will operate in the future.

Pack it in with your sensible and balanced post.

The posters on here want blood, it's a like an army of Joffrey Barratheon's and Ramsey Snow.

SSN just showed a 2 minute segment of the EFC presser, all about Martinez talking about Leicester. Still, that was enough for me to almost complete my Martinez Lingo Bingo Card. I counted a 'swagger', 'intensity' and 'moment' in his first breath. Was only missing a 'phenomenal'.

Wow, thought it was going well until the last minute when he said " Me and the chairman have been discussing our targets for the summer and we will be backed by Farhad to secure them "

Why Everton?

Hopefully just a standard answer out of the "Footy Managers Press Conferences for Dummies" text book and all part of the smoke screen of pretending everything is hunky dory until the end of the season.

Wow, thought it was going well until the last minute when he said " Me and the chairman have been discussing our targets for the summer and we will be backed by Farhad to secure them "

Why Everton?
That's a disgrace. Why are the club even thinking of letting him have another season and squander the war chest?

No just pointing out a simple fact moyes clearly never trusted young defenders, I'm pretty confident John stones wouldn't be anywhere near what he is now if moist was still here
I'm not sure that's true.

He made Hibbert his first choice right back when he was 21, and paid big money for a 21 year old Yobo and Baines when he was 22. Even Lescott was only 23 when he signed, and plenty of people are telling me now that Mori is still too young to be trusted at 25.

Trying to suggest that the signing of Stones was all down to a scout and nothing to do with Moyes is an embarrassing level of pettiness. It's standard practice to have a trusted scout doing the donkey work, and the idea of managers being the ones who unearth players themselves is laughable. Do you think Roberto just happened to be taking in a few games in the Uruguayan league when he stumbled across Leandro? Or saw Matty Foulds on his weekly pilgrimage to watch Bury under 18s?

I don't think Stones would have played quite as many games at centre half under Moyes, but I don't necessarily think that would have been a bad thing. We'll never know what would have happened, but the fact that Moyes didn't pitch the likes of Shane Duffy, Peter Clarke, and Mark Hughes in is hardly evidence that he wouldn't have played an England centre half that he'd paid decent money for. After all, Martinez has used him, but would rather play Tony Hibbert at left back than Luke Garbutt, and picks Besic at right back ahead of Pennington, Holgate or Connolly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back