Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What all this talk on Twitter suggesting well placed sources are saying Martinez is safe for another year as Moshiri wants to focus on team building.

I hope it's inaccurate.

Yes it is. He oversaw a decline at Wigan that saw the club relegated. He has oversaw a similar decline at Everton that could potentially result in the same conclusion if he is given another year.

The idea that he will be leaving a stronger foundation than what Moyes left is preposterous, and is a notion coming from the same people who had been hoodwinked into thinking that "We are on the verge of something special here" or "Our slide down the league is actually an indication of a forthcoming title challenge" until just a few months ago.

He has taken our club massively backwards, and our new manager has a hell of a job on his hands. Make no mistake!

We haven't gone massively backwards. We were a mid-table club with a loser in charge before he was here and we still are.

There was a lot to do when Moyes left and there still is. The squad on paper is worth more, but is performing worse.

I want him out like, but we've never been in danger of going down. It's not his fault that he's still there. Whoever is in charge needs to get rid. I don't know who is in charge.

I'm not sure that's true.

He made Hibbert his first choice right back when he was 21, and paid big money for a 21 year old Yobo and Baines when he was 22. Even Lescott was only 23 when he signed, and plenty of people are telling me now that Mori is still too young to be trusted at 25.

Trying to suggest that the signing of Stones was all down to a scout and nothing to do with Moyes is an embarrassing level of pettiness. It's standard practice to have a trusted scout doing the donkey work, and the idea of managers being the ones who unearth players themselves is laughable. Do you think Roberto just happened to be taking in a few games in the Uruguayan league when he stumbled across Leandro? Or saw Matty Foulds on his weekly pilgrimage to watch Bury under 18s?

I don't think Stones would have played quite as many games at centre half under Moyes, but I don't necessarily think that would have been a bad thing. We'll never know what would have happened, but the fact that Moyes didn't pitch the likes of Shane Duffy, Peter Clarke, and Mark Hughes in is hardly evidence that he wouldn't have played an England centre half that he'd paid decent money for. After all, Martinez has used him, but would rather play Tony Hibbert at left back than Luke Garbutt, and picks Besic at right back ahead of Pennington, Holgate or Connolly.
Hibbo was our best RB at the time thats why he was first choice.
Like i said, its well known The signing of stones was mainly down to the persistence of the scout, most of th senior coaching staff didn't fancy him and moyes had only seen him once or twice, fair enough he took the risk and trusted his guy.
The others you list were all signed having already played multiple seasons at their previous clubs and at a good level.

And must have a short memory because moyes also was guilty of playing Hibbo out of position multiple times

Instead of stressing about him talking about the summer, what else do you want him to say?

It's either i'm planning for the summer (not telling people he is going)

OR

The club is sacking me in two weeks so no point in asking me anything?

Think about it, it is all generic lines he is coming out with now. What does that tell you?

We haven't gone massively backwards. We were a mid-table club with a loser in charge before he was here and we still are.

There was a lot to do when Moyes left and there still is. The squad on paper is worth more, but is performing worse.

I want him out like, but we've never been in danger of going down. It's not his fault that he's still there. Whoever is in charge needs to get rid. I don't know who is in charge.
Mid-table club before Martinez arrived? Behave mate. Last 7 seasons before he turned up we finished 6th 5th 5th 8th 7th 7th 6th.

We're now on course for two consecutive bottom half finishes for the first time since 2002. How in any way shape or form is that not going backwards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back