Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mid-table club before Martinez arrived? Behave mate. Last 7 seasons before he turned up we finished 6th 5th 5th 8th 7th 7th 6th.

We're now on course for two consecutive bottom half finishes for the first time since 2002. How in any way shape or form is that not going backwards?

I didn't say we haven't gone backwards. I said we haven't gone massively backwards. I'd say 6th and below is mid-table.

On the finishes you've given pre-martinez we finished on average below 6th. Against a likely 9th average for the current waste of space manager we've been stuck with.

We were average and now we're slightly worse than average.

If you think we were great and disagree that's fine. Telling me to behave is inflammatory and unnecessary.

I know we're used to things going wrong and we're all a bit anxious on the Martinez front but he's gone lads, make no bones about it. Waiting until the end of the season feels like an eternity but that's when everything gets interesting and our fortunes change, albeit slowly at first.

Very clear reference to "as a football club". No use of first person singular or possessive adjective.

I had to google that, my English teacher was useless.

In a nerdy sort of way - one of those classic GOT moments where an Academically Purist analysis of the use of the English langauage by an individual who speaks it as a second langauge is taken away by an individual who speaks it as a first language ( I think) - and Googles it to see what it means!

Made me laugh anyway !

Yes, so lets not act like it was some amazing thing he did spotting some unknown.

The scout who found and then convinced him to sign stones deserves the credit

You'd have had a point, if I was doing anything of the sort, only I didn't, so you haven't :)

I seen a mixture of three things in that press conference, sadness relief and relaxation, it seems quite clear for Bobby he's been told the last 3 games will be his last 3 games for Everton, GUTTED.

I seen a mixture of three things in that press conference, sadness relief and relaxation, it seems quite clear for Bobby he's been told the last 3 games will be his last 3 games for Everton, GUTTED.

9UqpL3A.gif

I didn't say we haven't gone backwards. I said we haven't gone massively backwards. I'd say 6th and below is mid-table.

On the finishes you've given pre-martinez we finished on average below 6th. Against a likely 9th average for the current waste of space manager we've been stuck with.

We were average and now we're slightly worse than average.

If you think we were great and disagree that's fine. Telling me to behave is inflammatory and unnecessary.
You've got a very strange definition of what constitutes 'mid-table' in that case.

With Moyes we were at least consistently in and around the top 6. Considering the squad Moyes took over and the budget restraints he had to work within I would call that achievement more than average (and I was no big Moyes fan by the end of his time here).

The only reason Martinez' 'average' league position could be as high as 9th is down to his first season here which is looking more and spurious with every week that passes. Which I think we would probably actually agree on.

So I would personally say he has actually taken us massively backwards, and the trend is still on the decline.

Yes you've explained them, but they still don't stand up to scrutiny. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

You made the point that Moyes didn't trust 'young' defenders - not 'inexperienced' you'll note - and i've provided you with examples of young players who he clearly trusted in defence. The fact that you've now tried to move the goal posts by talking about experience is by the by.

You also tried to use the example of a patently not good enough centre half (sorry @Mikey_Fitzgerald) not being used to prove that Moyes wouldn't have played Stones. I've pointed out both that Martinez gave absolutely no opportunities whatsoever to Duffy, and that Martinez appears to trust Stones but not Pennington or Holgate which suggests your logic is flawed.

Finally you've tried to suggest that Moyes doesn't deserve any credit for signing Stones as it was all down to his scout. Aside from the fact that the only actual 'evidence' of this is the word of the scout himself, you're leaving out the fact that Moyes still sanctioned the purchase, and have admitted that you believe Moyes did actually go to watch him a few times. So, in other words, it was exactly the same as every purchase ever made by any club.

I'm all for bashing Moyes for certain things, but I think sometimes people let their opinion of him get in the way of the facts, and this was one of them.

The reason Martinez didn't go for Duffy was because he didn't do boss tekkers

The reason Moyes didn't go for Duffy is beyond me

Definately good enough and he'll be back in the Premier League one day

More tripe from Bobby.

He says we haven't experienced the winning feeling at home as much as we have away from home.

We've won 5 home and 5 away.

Wish a journo would pull him on the fact that our away form isn't anything to shout about. It's just better than our home form

lollollollollollollol

Phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back