Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In terms of the clubs future?

Turned Barkley from a bloke who couldnt get a game for Leeds/Sheff Wed into a regular international.
Put an extra 40M on Stones value
Doubled Lukakus value.
Brought in young players who should go on to be important players for us in the future in the likes of Galloway, Besic, Robles, Holgate, Foulds, Tarashaj as well as setting up the youth sides so that they should be able to integrate into the first team squad easily.

I get having a go at him for poor first team results but to say he has done nothing for the future of the club is just madness. I think he will go and I think whoever takes over will reap the benefits of the stuff he has set in place for the future.

Barkley was a late developer due to a horrendous injury, he would have broken through sooner had it not happened.
Stones - I'd say he's wiped money off his value rather than added to it
Lakaku - Came here because Mirallas talked him into coming here in the first place

As for the players you've listed he's brought through, he's mainly done that because of injury. If anything he's stuck by out of form players and ignored the youth until he had no choice.

Yet there are those round these parts whom would dismiss getting to cup finals as being of little more than a distraction from an altogether more important task.....finishing best of the rest in the league.

We came close enough to making two cup finals.......a "non goal" derailed us in the first and a missed penno stymied us in the second.

Let's hope future cup runs will not be dismissed so flippantly by many of our friends on here :)

The excitement generated by being in cup finals is priceless.

I think there needs to be balance

I'm fine with using cup progress as a way to argue away poor league form. In theory

The difference is, the same people lionising Martinez for getting us to a semi final and a bottom half finish, are the same people who were getting stuck into Moyes back in 2012 (A certain Orange faced bloke who we won't be seeing till August especially) for getting us to a Semi Final and a top half finish, with a weaker side to boot!

It's the hypocrisy that ultimately bothers me

I like Moyes and I like Martinez

I don't want either of them to ever be Everton manager again like, but still, I bare neither of them any personal ill will

Let's have some balance eh?

If you think this season is okay because we got to a Semi Final, then you simply have to think 2012 was okay as well. Otherwise, you're a bad hypocrite (This isn't targeted at you specifically btw, I just mean the wider support in general)

maddison said:
Barkley was a late developer due to a horrendous injury, he would have broken through sooner had it not happened.
Lakaku - Came here because Mirallas talked him into coming here in the first place

The first one is conjecture. The second two are preposterous.

There are plenty of sticks to beat the guy with, the biggest one being we are crap at winning football games, you don't have to make stuff up.

The first one is conjecture. The second two are preposterous.

There are plenty of sticks to beat the guy with, the biggest one being we are crap at winning football games, you don't have to make stuff up.

The first and third points are well documented, hardly made up. And Stones has clearly regressed under Martinez

I think there needs to be balance

I'm fine with using cup progress as a why to offset poor league form in theory

The difference is, the same people lionising Martinez for getting us to a semi final and a bottom half finish, are the same people who were getting stuck into Moyes back in 2012 (A certain Orange faced bloke who we won't be seeing till August especially) for getting us to a Semi Final and a top half finish with, with a weaker side to boot!

It's the hypocrisy that ultimately bothers me

I like Moyes and I like Martinez

I don't want either of them to ever be Everton manager like, but still, I bare neither of them any personal ill will

Let's have some balance eh?

If you think this season is okay because we got to a Semi Final, then you simply have to think 2012 was okay as well. Otherwise, you're a bad hypocrite (This isn't targeted at you specifically btw, I just mean the wider support in general)

Did I say the "season was okay", Mikey?

No, I didn't.

In fact, I am not even talking about Bobby as such.....more about Klopp's record and the perception of him since he arrived at The Pit.

And my remarks were in support of what @TheFinnFan said about the latter's appointment over the park.

Two cup finals and the excitement among their followers is palpable.

This despite them being bang average in the league.

They have dropped more points from winning positions than we have.....and that us really saying sommat.

They have blown two goal leads three times since the beginning of February compared to our once in the same period.

Yet the Kopites bought into the prospect of appearing in two cup finals with relish, while we had a debate on here about the worthiness of winning cups versus finishing fifth.

:Blink:

As for the players you've listed he's brought through, he's mainly done that because of injury. If anything he's stuck by out of form players and ignored the youth until he had no choice.

So what you are saying is we dont really need a manager at all do we?

So Stones is worth less than the 3M we paid for him?

And the Lukaku thing. That's just made up!

The last bit is totally irrelevant. The point being made was that Martinez has done nothing for the future of Everton not if he is playing them now or not (and Lukaku, Stones and Barkley ARE young players btw..)

Again he has a lot of things worthy of having a go at. Implementing stuff for the future is not one of them and only someone with an agenda would fail to see that.

Wonder if this week will be the hammering we are expecting?

Leiscter already champions so time to have fun so to speak. We have been poor for a long time, and they are at home.

Sadly it all adds up to a pretty poor result for us.

I disagree.

I think we will win at Leicester.....for two reasons.

They have been in party mode since Monday and IMO it will be impossible for Claudio to have them fully focused for tomorrow.

And now they are champions, the opposition will be up for taking their scalp.

I think I shall invest a crisp tenner on us winning tomorrow ;)

I disagree.

I think we will win at Leicester.....for two reasons.

They have been in party mode since Monday and IMO it will be impossible for Claudio to have them fully focused for tomorrow.

And now they are champions, the opposition will be up for taking their scalp.

I think I shall invest a crisp tenner on us winning tomorrow ;)
I agree

A tenner on us plus another team as yet chosen to boost odds

I was shouting that at the radio at the time - hope you can ultimately call them back in a fortnight and pipe him right down.

It will shut everyone up mate. The perception people on the outside have of us wont allow us to believe we can get a Jose Mourinho, heck, i got laughed at in work the other day for Mourinho being my first choice. The lids laughing werent Liverpool fans either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back