Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to get pig sick when Everton got beat. But now, I'm just sort of numb. I'm not lethargic or blase, it's a feeling that I cannot put into words. It's as if I've resigned myself to this horrible situation. The only light at the end of the tunnel is the prospect of a new man at the helm. But, by God, the board had better get this right this time. It's the best chance to put this club back on the map that we'll probably get for years. We have never before been in a position to employ a really top rated manager so let's forget the O'Neills and the like and take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity.

Aren't we all life-long Evertonians? Does that mean we all possess the business acumen to run a Premier League football club?

A clever transfer policy?! C'mon now. Where was that £50m we were getting for Rooney? £20m upfront and £7m on the drip iirc.

Wasn't Moyes recommended by the outgoing Smith? Also, he hardly showed great ambition going for the bloody Preston North End manager.

Finally, 'not selling the club to any old dodge', he already is the 'any old dodge'.

We're sitting in a stadium that is not fit for purpose. We have to wash our hands in cold water and don't even have hand dryers.

He has told countless lies and tried to swindle the fans on so many occasions that I have lost count.

He is a poison to this club, and the fans that have backed him down the years should also shoulder the blame.

All these protests should have been happening 11 years ago when the likes of Birmingham City and Newcastle were outbidding Champions League Everton for players. Our chance to really make a mark and we bring in old hasbeens like Simon Davies, Shandy and Phil Neville.

That man is no Evertonian. I couldn't do what he has done to the club I love.

Business acumen isn't a romantic idea, being a life-long blue is.

Rooney was 18, hardly a 50m player in those days.

We're all agreed Moyes was the right manager for us at the right time.

If BK was the "any old dodge", we'd be in a much worse situation. He's a safe pair of hands.

But still there's many who don't want to leave Goodison as it's romantically tied to our history. Modernise yes...leave, no.

Poison is too strong a word seen as we haven't been relegated or went into administration.

Champions League Everton? We've never been in it. Pre-Qualifiers don't count as an attraction to sign players. And who did Newcastle & Birmingham sign and where are they now? Did they win cups or do well in Europe? Did they finish above us even once? Both are relegated now.

What exactly has he done that's so bad?

...no cohesion has been the problem for many months. No partnerships, no buddies complimenting each other's play. Full backs who don't link with wide players, no purposeful passing they just meander aimlessly up the pitch and get caught in no-mans land with one long ball that exposes the CBs.

No expansive wingers for Barkley to find, no ammunition or partner for Lukaku instead everything compartmentlised. No cohesion. Look back at when we have been effective, attacking at pace with creative players. It's not rocket science, players who compliment each other is what makes a team.
This. There is no plan for the team, no direction, no teamwork.

What exactly has he done that's so bad?

1424080499-blank-stare-gif.gif

Pains me to say it but Roberto is a dead man walking - those players just don't want to play for him or play his system.
My stance has always been 'IN' but sadly I think it's in everyone's best interest including Robertos to make the change.

Id love him to stay and turn it round but the EPL doesn't allow for a slow tempo passing game. I think Pep will be found out too.
If Roberto goes he goes with my best wishes and hopefully to La Liga where he'll prove a big success.

Please leave out the 'told you so' responses - this gutless squad is the big problem we have and on the whole they're staying.

He now has 6 or 7 seasons in PL and shows no sign of a quality manager bar the 72 points trophy season with a Moyes's squad. Doubt any decent team will silly enough to employ him. Look at his league records, it's horrendous.

I personally would not go for Martin O'Neill, I like his honesty and the way he conducts himself but I think he has not been successful enough and has been out of league football for too long. One thing I would say in his defence is that his players will play for him. He is a strong disciplinarian and would steady things.
We can do much better.
Martin O'Neill is a loser and always bails when he realises its gone wrong and it's never his fault. Would be a disaster for us.

I used to get pig sick when Everton got beat. But now, I'm just sort of numb. I'm not lethargic or blase, it's a feeling that I cannot put into words. It's as if I've resigned myself to this horrible situation. The only light at the end of the tunnel is the prospect of a new man at the helm. But, by God, the board had better get this right this time. It's the best chance to put this club back on the map that we'll probably get for years. We have never before been in a position to employ a really top rated manager so let's forget the O'Neills and the like and take advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity.

I feel the same mate. When we were a top 6 team, I was fuming whenever we lost a match because we were hard to beat. Now I got no emotion at all. Losing a match is like having dinner just as business as usual.

The Everton board are now making Martinez suffer. I watched the TV interview after yesterday's game. The poor man must be dreading facing the press. What must it be like for him to go in front of the players.
He must know he is sacked, he must really need the "pay off" or else he would do the descent thing and resign.

Its the level of his delusion. He'll think he can still turn it and the fans around. Convinced about 'small margins' etc. Doubtless can't understand that given he's doing everything right, how come results aren't following the level of our mostly incredible performances

His post match interview yesterday,is it just me? but he was referencing the Bournemouth game against yesterday and trying to make out we were on a par with Barcelona and had played with great "intensity"and how disappointed he was with yesterdays sham,I sat through that dirge last week,we were awful,Hibbert excepted,and could/should have been beat against a team who were on the beach.

Yeah I thought that was an unreal choice of match to cite - the Bournemouth performance was absolutely abysmal and he wished we had played like that again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back