Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw on the Echo that 81% thought De Boer would make a good manager. This to me is the problem with fan power. What do they know of DeBoer as a man or manager (who as far as I know has only worked in Holland). Not one of them that voted will be responsible if it all goes wrong and will simply start to scream for De Boers head in two years time or whatever.

If Roberto is sacked (its easy to sack a manager) it will be the biggest decision possibly of this decade and not one I would care to be responsible for.

Hope you're right mate, hope it's before Sunday also, I don't dislike the man he's just horribly out of his depth and I don't want to see him subject to abuse from frustrated fans.

The club would be doing him a favour letting him go before Sunday.

This.

Just saw on the Echo that 81% thought De Boer would make a good manager. This to me is the problem with fan power. What do they know of DeBoer as a man or manager (who as far as I know has only worked in Holland). Not one of them that voted will be responsible if it all goes wrong and will simply start to scream for De Boers head in two years time or whatever.

If Roberto is sacked (its easy to sack a manager) it will be the biggest decision possibly of this decade and not one I would care to be responsible for.

Its ok, I don't think Mosh will be hiring a manager based on a poll in the echo

What strikes me as bizarre and counter-intuitive now is the supposed decision to keep him until the end of the season, if this has been calculated on the basis of preserving the man's dignity and respect within the club, and to the outside footballing world, and then subjecting him to the unpleasantness that will ensue after the Norwich game, if there has still been no announcement by then. It should not be forgotten that this will also be the last home appearance for several members of the squad. It would/will be a deeply unseemly, sad way to sign off, wretched season or not.

For the love of God announce it before the Norwich game. There will be palpable relief and we may even get a result on the day. I'm sure in that scenario that 99% of blues would approach the game bearing in mind the sensitive circumstances prevailing and see out the day if not in a positive, then at the very least, benign manner. The need for protests in that scenario are completely nullified. And, I'm sure Martinez will be no less dignified and respectful, in whatever statement or comment he wishes to make as his final act with the club.

You are absolutely right, for whatever reason the board gambled on getting through to the end of the season and the gamble could not have gone much worse. I do not know the reason, but I would speculate one of the following;

1) As part of the purchase agreement, it was agreed that there would be no substantial or managerial change until the summer, where they would be reviewed.
2) The club felt he was the best man to lead us out at Wembley, and putting a caretaker in would be undermining our chances.
3) They hoped they would get through to the end of the season without too many problems and could re-evaluate.
4) Contractual terms on Martinez's contract reduce the amount due to him at the end of the summer.
5) They want(ed) to pursue targets quietly outside of the glare of the prying media.

I know we have been interested in De Boer for quite a while and have been banging his drum for a number of weeks from when I knew he was on the list. I sense we are waiting on Mourinho. It is not easy to explain but sacking Martinez would set in place a chain of reactions that could make things more difficult. To summarise;

1) Everton Sack Martinez
2) De Boer asks if we interested.
3) Everton hesitate wanting Mourinho.
4) Mourinho hesitates as he is waiting for United's decision.
5) De Boer is then under pressure waiting for Everton, and may well go to Valencia/Commit to Ajax.

All of the above is very plausible. Once the first shot is fired a process will begin, I just hope they are looking to avoid that until they are sure of how they wish to proceed.

You are absolutely right, for whatever reason the board gambled on getting through to the end of the season and the gamble could not have gone much worse. I do not know the reason, but I would speculate one of the following;

1) As part of the purchase agreement, it was agreed that there would be no substantial or managerial change until the summer, where they would be reviewed.
2) The club felt he was the best man to lead us out at Wembley, and putting a caretaker in would be undermining our chances.
3) They hoped they would get through to the end of the season without too many problems and could re-evaluate.
4) Contractual terms on Martinez's contract reduce the amount due to him at the end of the summer.
5) They want(ed) to pursue targets quietly outside of the glare of the prying media.

I know we have been interested in De Boer for quite a while and have been banging his drum for a number of weeks from when I knew he was on the list. I sense we are waiting on Mourinho. It is not easy to explain but sacking Martinez would set in place a chain of reactions that could make things more difficult. To summarise;

1) Everton Sack Martinez
2) De Boer asks if we interested.
3) Everton hesitate wanting Mourinho.
4) Mourinho hesitates as he is waiting for United's decision.
5) De Boer is then under pressure waiting for Everton, and may well go to Valencia/Commit to Ajax.

All of the above is very plausible. Once the first shot is fired a process will begin, I just hope they are looking to avoid that until they are sure of how they wish to proceed.
Again what esk has said the process has already began

Hope you're right mate, hope it's before Sunday also, I don't dislike the man he's just horribly out of his depth and I don't want to see him subject to abuse from frustrated fans.

The club would be doing him a favour letting him go before Sunday.

The club are acting shamefully.

I just don't know what they are trying to achieve by dragging this farce out and subjecting this apparently decent, if somewhat hapless, manager through the mire.

For the first time in my life I can genuinely say I am ashamed of EFC for events other than gutless performances on the pitch.

Nothing....absolutely nothing.....has been gained by not removing Bobby and appointing an interim sometime during the past month or so.

And I will tell you sommat else.

If that lad is still in situ come Sunday, I for one will warmly applaud him as he walks round the pitch.....he will at least be showing a set of cajones, more than can be be said of Bill and his cronies during this shambolic period in Everton history.

There's an element of risk in appointing 'any' manager in world football.

De Boer has won 6 league titles as a player as well as the UEFA Cup and the Champions League.

As a manager he's won 4 league titles in a row.

He was a top drawer player and has a great track record in the Dutch league. Other than appointing managers that are out of our reach there's not really many safer candidates on paper.

In football there are no safe bets, even if you're a super rich club. Look at LVG at United. Should be a safe bet and he's had tons of money to spend but he's struggled.

De Boer will command the respect of our players on his track record as a player alone. His CV as a manager is really impressive too. If people are going to worry about appointing someone of his calibre they're going to worry about appointing anyone imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back