Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone saying why doesn't he just walk away, the simple fact is, who in their right mind would walk away from a few million of a pay out. I was on the fence until recently but I honestly don't mind waiting a week as long as he is packing his bags.

He represented the club brilliantly off the pitch (Hillsborough etc). Unfortunately on the pitch, it's a shambles.

There's an element of risk in appointing 'any' manager in world football.

De Boer has won 6 league titles as a player as well as the UEFA Cup and the Champions League.

As a manager he's won 4 league titles in a row.

He was a top drawer player and has a great track record in the Dutch league. Other than appointing managers that are out of our reach there's not really many safer candidates on paper.

In football there are no safe bets, even if you're a super rich club. Look at LVG at United. Should be a safe bet and he's had tons of money to spend but he's struggled.

De Boer will command the respect of our players on his track record as a player alone. His CV as a manager is really impressive too. If people are going to worry about appointing someone of his calibre they're going to worry about appointing anyone imo.

You have given a good argument for De Boer, my point was most people just vote because he used to be a good footballer ,which means nothing as we have seen many fabulous footballers who were useless managers.

You are absolutely right, for whatever reason the board gambled on getting through to the end of the season and the gamble could not have gone much worse. I do not know the reason, but I would speculate one of the following;

1) As part of the purchase agreement, it was agreed that there would be no substantial or managerial change until the summer, where they would be reviewed.
2) The club felt he was the best man to lead us out at Wembley, and putting a caretaker in would be undermining our chances.
3) They hoped they would get through to the end of the season without too many problems and could re-evaluate.
4) Contractual terms on Martinez's contract reduce the amount due to him at the end of the summer.
5) They want(ed) to pursue targets quietly outside of the glare of the prying media.

I know we have been interested in De Boer for quite a while and have been banging his drum for a number of weeks from when I knew he was on the list. I sense we are waiting on Mourinho. It is not easy to explain but sacking Martinez would set in place a chain of reactions that could make things more difficult. To summarise;

1) Everton Sack Martinez
2) De Boer asks if we interested.
3) Everton hesitate wanting Mourinho.
4) Mourinho hesitates as he is waiting for United's decision.
5) De Boer is then under pressure waiting for Everton, and may well go to Valencia/Commit to Ajax.

All of the above is very plausible. Once the first shot is fired a process will begin, I just hope they are looking to avoid that until they are sure of how they wish to proceed.

Spot on mate, it's all about the timing. Get it right and everything falls into place, get it wrong and ....................

Yes sorry obviously meant the hardest decision
It amazes me people are so certain they want to sack Martinez, the last thre months have been depressing ,but before that it was the most exciting football I have ever seen everton play. Our away from is very good and we have got to two semis.
Added to that teams that regularly sack managers have a propensity for falling through the league.
Massive decision for moshiri and certainly not cut and dried.

It's called hysteria

It might be just time to accept you've been very wrong about him mate.

It's ok. I rated Owen Coyle once.

Why all this sympathy? I just don't get it. If the situation is so very painful for this 'decent' and 'nice' man why doesn't he just do one?

I can't comment for why he has not resigned. It's not the norm to resign though, in the instance he has no alternative lined up. There are I presume, financial implications for him if he resigned, and like it or not, be is perfectly entitled to act in his best interests, as he sees it. I know I would.

My sympathy for him is on a human level, that's all. I don't like to see someone so obviously struggling in a job that is absolutely beyond his ability. He has had me tearing my hair out for the past 18 months. I'm fully aware that he leaves Everton a very wealthy man and shouldn't take too long to get over it. Ironically one of the banners at the protest read "Nice man, terrible manager" and that encapsulates how I feel about him.

The point is though, that a group of people at Everton, if all works out as intended in the next few days/week, decided some time ago that Martinez was no longer fit for purpose to continue as Everton manager. Why that decision was not put into effect as soon as possible after that consenus was reached, is quite simply beyond me. I don't get how it would have unduly interfered with the appointment of a replacement, or why someone could not have come in as interim/caretaker manager for a few weeks and done a half decent job. It the season had more games to run, they would probably have had to act anyway, given we are falling like a stone and morale is lower than a snake's backside.

You have given a good argument for De Boer, my point was most people just vote because he used to be a good footballer ,which means nothing as we have seen many fabulous footballers who were useless managers.

That's true, being a good player doesn't automatically make you a good manager but it does help you command respect and going by De Boer's CV he looks promising.

I have to admit I don't watch Ajax and have no idea on how they play etc. I imagine that's a similar position to how most of us are on a lot of the potential replacements though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back