Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you're right mate, hope it's before Sunday also, I don't dislike the man he's just horribly out of his depth and I don't want to see him subject to abuse from frustrated fans.

The club would be doing him a favour letting him go before Sunday.
Well said. I believe that if he has been informed as it is presumed, he has handled himself with dignity. Despite the huge amount of money he will receive in the payout making it easier, he still genuinely cares about Everton. That is clearly apparent.

I don't want him to receive a torrent of abuse in the lap of appreciation.

I hope the club make an announcement in the days prior to that final game letting everyone know it will be his final match. I genuinely believe the Evertonians at the ground will give him a respectable sending off then.

Actually no, do not hate using them as an example.

To be honest, I am looking at them with a great deal of reluctant admiration these days.

They acted before Brent had reached crisis point.

Headed the crisis off at the pass.

Then, like us, they reached two cup semi finals.

And won them both.

Despite being a very average team.

I admire the way they manage to keep themselves relevant even in barren spells.

There......I've said it :pint2:

I was talking about this just yesterday. They've been average for nearly as long as we have, with the odd exceptional season. But no matter how ordinary they've been, no matter how poor the manager, they've still won things. Don't know how, but they have. We need to appoint someone who hates losing and loves winning, who'll buy players who feel the same.

I was talking about this just yesterday. They've been average for nearly as long as we have, with the odd exceptional season. But no matter how ordinary they've been, no matter how poor the manager, they've still won things. Don't know how, but they have. We need to appoint someone who hates losing and loves winning, who'll buy players who feel the same.

They have a mindset of winning and prevailing - we have a mindset of 'ah well, we gave it a wee go, but came up short".
Until we get a ballsy, up-front, tunnel-vision-on-winning manager, we'll never match never mind eclipse them.
The change of wind that needs to blow through Everton FC needs to be a full-blown hurricane !!!

Bobby would have gain respect across the fan base if he'd walk away without taking any payout after the semi.
He kept on insisting he did nothing wrong is just daft.

These are the 2 deciding factor and if he's man enough to do what he did, he should be man enough to face the full onslaught in our last home game.

The club are acting shamefully.

I just don't know what they are trying to achieve by dragging this farce out and subjecting this apparently decent, if somewhat hapless, manager through the mire.

For the first time in my life I can genuinely say I am ashamed of EFC for events other than gutless performances on the pitch.

Nothing....absolutely nothing.....has been gained by not removing Bobby and appointing an interim sometime during the past month or so.

And I will tell you sommat else.

If that lad is still in situ come Sunday, I for one will warmly applaud him as he walks round the pitch.....he will at least be showing a set of cajones, more than can be be said of Bill and his cronies during this shambolic period in Everton history

Here Here. The man has been hung out to dry. It's been disgraceful really, if this is them acting in his best interests god help him and us.

The intended preservation of my sanity means I must lay the blame solely at the feet of Pontius Pilate himself, Kenwright and Elstone, I would be unable to accept that Moshiri had any part in it. Hopefully the appointment of the new manager will be at least worthy of having to endure this unedifying mess and will be the first concrete sign of the changing of the guard.

You are absolutely right, for whatever reason the board gambled on getting through to the end of the season and the gamble could not have gone much worse. I do not know the reason, but I would speculate one of the following;

1) As part of the purchase agreement, it was agreed that there would be no substantial or managerial change until the summer, where they would be reviewed.
2) The club felt he was the best man to lead us out at Wembley, and putting a caretaker in would be undermining our chances.
3) They hoped they would get through to the end of the season without too many problems and could re-evaluate.
4) Contractual terms on Martinez's contract reduce the amount due to him at the end of the summer.
5) They want(ed) to pursue targets quietly outside of the glare of the prying media.

I know we have been interested in De Boer for quite a while and have been banging his drum for a number of weeks from when I knew he was on the list. I sense we are waiting on Mourinho. It is not easy to explain but sacking Martinez would set in place a chain of reactions that could make things more difficult. To summarise;

1) Everton Sack Martinez
2) De Boer asks if we interested.
3) Everton hesitate wanting Mourinho.
4) Mourinho hesitates as he is waiting for United's decision.
5) De Boer is then under pressure waiting for Everton, and may well go to Valencia/Commit to Ajax.

All of the above is very plausible. Once the first shot is fired a process will begin, I just hope they are looking to avoid that until they are sure of how they wish to proceed.

Makes sense this actually. Unless of course we're crediting the board with something it doesn't have

Here Here. The man has been hung out to dry. It's been disgraceful really, if this is them acting in his best interests god help him and us.

The intended preservation of my sanity means I must lay the blame solely at the feet of Pontius Pilate himself, Kenwright and Elstone, I would be unable to accept that Moshiri had any part in it. Hopefully the appointment of the new manager will be at least worthy of having to endure this unedifying mess and will be the first concrete sign of the changing of the guard.

Why all this sympathy? I just don't get it. If the situation is so very painful for this 'decent' and 'nice' man why doesn't he just do one?

I find it strange that we're bigging up how rich Moshiri is, but now the talk of the town is that they don't want to sack him now as it'll save £2m in compensation money (which again seems off as it's not normal to have compensation based on performance).

I also find it strange that our incredibly vocal chairman hasn't said doot at all, even though the media now have their knives out.

I don't think we're going to see Martinez get the sack.

Moshiri did not become a billionaire by throwing money around if there was no need to do so.
We talk about vast sums of money as if they have no value, but 2m is a huge amount of money and cannot be thrown away.

Moshiri did not become a billionaire by throwing money around if there was no need to do so.
We talk about vast sums of money as if they have no value, but 2m is a huge amount of money and cannot be thrown away.

For the sake of what, a month? a week?

Exactly. No need to spend it now. Boo hoo, the lap of appreciation might not be very fun. Shocked, crying and shaking

Bobby would have gain respect across the fan base if he'd walk away without taking any payout after the semi.
He kept on insisting he did nothing wrong is just daft.

These are the 2 deciding factor and if he's man enough to do what he did, he should be man enough to face the full onslaught in our last home game.
If you were about to lose your job because it wasn't working out too well and the results were not as you or your bosses expected and your contract included severance pay .... Would you walk awAy without taking the pay off as a point of honour .... I don't think so

Oh just go and enjoy your weekend anyway.

It is not like going the game brings a guarantee of a good result or even a good performance, even at the best of times.

And lads like @kithnou or @deipnosophist or @USABlue would give an eye tooth to be able to pop on a plane and hop across about two hundred miles to watch the Blues this weekend.

I have always found being in the ground watching a bad display to be more palateable than watching on TV.

At least at the ground you get to vent your frustration in the company of like minded souls ;)
Easier said than done. Ticket already given away for free to so il let them go and make the most of it. Done this season giving out or caring about it. As said in previous post the free quid I wont be spending will be spent on spoiling the kids which il get far more enjoyment from.
Time to switch off and dust myself off for next season. Club wont be getting anymore of my time and effort this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back