Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you at least thank him and wish him well please mate?

Did that in the relevant thread if you don't mind!

05092016154047.gif

Well obviously it'd be better! Sadly he cannot defend and season one was down to Moyes defensive unit still remembering how to do it's job.
Playing that type of football though, would you be happy he stayed with 5th guaranteed?

Promise I'm not being a bell, just seems you've not entirely answered the question.

You could compare him with Lanzini though, and he worked his backside off last night as well.

Ross has taken an "it's not really my job" attitude to closing down and winning the ball back for the last 2 years and beyond. He's usually half arsed in the challenge and doesn't work anywhere near hard enough tracking runners from midfield. I've lost count of the number of times he's just jogging back after someone has sprinted past him.

Would Klopp allow that at the pit? He needs a manager who tells him a few home truths, starting with his workrate and overall fitness.

i agree ross doesnt work anywhere near hard enough and is a lazy bugger but just thought it was disingenous to compare him to noble.

Glad more and more are coming out of the woodwork to defend our gaffer.

Whilst I still think it's likely he will go, day by day I believe the chances of him staying are bettered.

Question, and a ridiculous one I know, if we could GUARANTEE that next season would be like season one, would you want to keep him?

I know it cannot be guaranteed but humour me...

If my aunty had tyres she's be a bicycle

Whilst I still think it's likely he will go, day by day I believe the chances of him staying are bettered.

Question, and a ridiculous one I know, if we could GUARANTEE that next season would be like season one, would you want to keep him?

I refer the honorable member for Wibble to the reply my honorable friend gave a few moments earlier

Totally the opposite for me, announce he is leaving by mutual consent on friday then he gets a warmish send off on sunday with best wishes. If there is no announcement sunday is going to be absolutely horrible to him and the team both during and after the game.

Just doesn't make sense to me why the club wouldn't come out and say Martinez will be leaving by mutual consent, by now everyone is expecting him to be gone anyway, so it would hardly come as a surprise. Also, as you say, Martinez would get a warmish reception.

It makes me wonder if there is more to it, board members falling out (BK) over sacking him, Martinez digging his heels in, whatever it is, it's all being handled crassly.

No, because I think the next 2 seasons would be like the last 2. I've said for a long, long time, Martinez's faults are deep rooted. All the people who were hoping for a miraculous turn around were kidding themselves, this is not a knee jerk situation, the manager is simply not very good.

I thank him for the memories (mainly in season 1 but also hammering United and Wolfsburg at home last year and the Chelsea games this year) and respectfully ask that he never darkens Goodison's door again.

Yeah of course I would.

I just don't think the chances of that are very good.

But if you know he's going to get a points total that would usually get 4th you'd be mad to bin him.

Playing that type of football though, would you be happy he stayed with 5th guaranteed?

Promise I'm not being a bell, just seems you've not entirely answered the question.

If he did get 5th the 2nd season as well that might've hinted that he was learning as he was going....but he didn't learn and he didn't get 5th or anything near it, all we got...repeatedly was he wasn't changing...and he hasn't...nor will he

I wouldn't say happy as it'd be nice to get higher and win something but it'd be better than the dross he churns out now.

This is all conjecture though as he clearly isn't good enough. He does no defensive work whatsoever, and the tippy-tappy approach was found out very quickly. At that point he had no other plan and it fell apart.

Genuinely fear he'd be a wibbling mess by then, shin-pads sellotaped to his ears, ham under his arm, '72' tattoo on his stubbled chin and repeatedly saying...

'...but look, I'm building bedrooms here, not foundations for footballing dominance....bedrooms, I'm building bedrooms...bedrooms...bed...rooooooms'. (to fade)

It wouldn't be good for him to stay. He's cusping now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back