Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistic - Eddie Howe

unrealistic - Jose Mourinho
Eddie Howe! That is hilarious. Swapping one "championship" manager (your implication) for another. No knock on Eddie Howe, but let's see him survive a couple of seasons in the premier league and see him win something before you embrace him as the next Everton manager. I get the disillusionment and the hurt the night after a defeat in A SEMI FINAL, but get a grip lads. If you are going to suggest replacements, lets have realistic and "tried and tested" alternatives. Wanting to throw out one manager because he's not "premier league" standard and suggesting we place him with one who has spent less than a season in that league doesn't sound very well thought out.

So it's self entitlement to expect and demand a manager to get the best out of his playing resources?Especially when you have the most talented Everton squad since the 1980's at your disposal.That 5th place was too years ago.We finished 11th last season on 47 points and we are in the middle of another mediocre mid table season.Is it really self entitlement to demand more than 3 home league wins and mid table mediocrity?That's a good debating tactic alright question how much of an Evertonian a person is when a valid point is raised about the gross mismanagement and underachievement of this squad under the current regime.
....which he either bought or brought into the team as regulars. You can't use the team that he has bought and trained as the stick to beat him with.

I could have included Naismith and a few more on that list. Players in a mid table at best team. I can be brutally honest about a few more overrated by many as well. We are nowhere near a top 4 team.

Nowhere near good enough to be a top 4 side? Like Leicester you mean mate?

With a top drawer keeper and proper organisation, that squad was good enough to get close. It's way better than 12th ffs

Nowhere near good enough to be a top 4 side? Like Leicester you mean mate?

With a top drawer keeper and proper organisation, that squad was good enough to get close. It's way better than 12th ffs
Not denying better then 12th. Still time to improve on that. Leicester are living a fluke. Let's see where they are next year shall we?
Top draw keeper isn't in our squad though. We are talking the current squad.

Hardly like the players he brought through/in were unknown gems though, is it?
Besic, Del, and Mori were hardly household names. While there had been some buzz around Stones and Barkley, they really establish their reputations while playing for him. I think it would be interesting to compare the valuation of Martinez's squad now with their value at the point of purchase. I think a paradox is that though his team is underperforming, the value of the team is going through the roof. Indeed, this is leading to these attacks where the squad he has fostered and assembled is the very thing that he is getting attacked with. For instance, he buys Lukaka for 28 million (?) and remember how many people laughed and said we had overpaid. What do you reckon we could get for Lukaku in the summer? Mori doesn't look like we overpaid either.

This season was make or break and he's broken it. The team's going backwards and the shambles of a defence is unforgivable. Those players are all full internationals yet we ship goals like it's going out of fashion.

Give him next season, you say? If he can only achieve 12th-ish with this set of players then what the feck's going to happen next season when the likes of Lukaku etc move on? If it wasn't for Lukaku we'd probably be in a relegation fight FFS.

I'm probably knee-jerking a little bit but I'm seriously fed up with the guy.

So under what circumstances when you feel he has to go at the end of season? This is bad enough.

Not really. Watching us this season, it feels like we've been tantalisingly close to something great. It's very different to last season in that regard, though the results have been the same. If it gets to the end of the season and our players are still throwing away leads and unable to go a whole game without committing basic, fatal errors, we'd have to take a look at Martinez' position.

Right now, he looks like a man unable to capitalise on the talent he has assembled, but I'm willing to give him a decent chance to put that right.

Let's see where we are at the end of the season. End of. Fume on like. But I'd imagine the smart stocktaking by the club and by most fans will happen in may. We just got knocked out of a semi final. We didn't play great, but we weren't exactly hammered either. Wasn't a great performance, but it was hardly gutless. Performance wise: I'm much more worried by losing at home to Swansea. I'm annoyed and angry like most on here, but I'm also able to recognize how he has made some good contributions/acquisitions. Our defending is beyond shambolic though.

It's still ifs and maybes isn't it. And I'm an Everton lover, not a Martinez lover. Stop with the emotional claptrap and black and white attitude, it's beyond boring.

Alright. We will see at the end of season. I respect your support on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back