Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know who we'd get in to replace him at this point, so I'm still Martinez In

Ultimately, we're not getting a top level managerial appointment until we have new owners, a new stadium or both

I heard Eddie Howe mentioned. He'd be alright I suppose, but he's not a tip top manager in the Ancelotti/Mourinho bracket

Sod it, I'd have Pellegrini at this point. Seems like a decent bloke and has cup winning pedigree

He's tactically had Martinez's number, one game aside, every time we've played his City team

If City are getting rid and he wants to stay in England, I say we feel him out

Right, so, Deulofeu is on the pitch, Manuel decides hes nothing left to offer, but Kone might have. Struggling with this bit.
Were you actually watching the match? We'd spent 15mins camped on the edge of our own box under constant attack, no out ball and Del was knackered. That couldn't go on.
Bobby stuck McCarthy and Kone on and almost immediately we pushed them back 20-30 yards. Kone (while not being great) at least held the ball up well and wrestled for it. It got us out of our own half and took the pressure off.

Been arguing that for the last couple of days - the caveat of "winning the Capital one Cup" was getting put in front of me all the time. my reply was its a big IF. its a distraction which was a missive long shot and it surely highlights to those people that the league form is horrific.

I shudder to think what Goodison is going to be like the next few matches.

Apparently it will be full of under 30 year old FIFA playing beauts who have the temerity to be dissatisfied with 12th in the league after 11th last year. Apparently they're all not patient enough and that's the main reason why we are where we are. Apparently.

I've personally run out of patience with him and want him gone now, but I doubt that's going to happen, he'll more than likely still be here come the end of the season. And the only way I'll change my opinion of him by then, is if he manages to somehow, by the end of the season :

- gets us up to at least 7th in the league
- a good FA Cup run (semi at least)
- get a couple of decent away wins in the league against the 'big' teams, and Liverpool
- gets the team defending properly

Unless he does all of that, my opinion isn't going to change. We're capable of all the above, it's time for him to get it done
agree with you on that, cant see him getting sacked so hope he turns it around, getting fed up saying that, as for the FA cup first top team we play will more than likely knock us out on current form, settle for getting away from the bottom a bit more as this lot and the manager don't have the bollocks to get out of a scrap at the bottom.
really don't think we have seen anything that suggests he can learn from it and change, he has lost the crowd its going to take some doing to get them back onside.
Newcastle is the biggest game for him in his time with us, anything less than three points and its going to get nasty.

A lot of martinez which is negative always runs in pararells with each other if you care to admit it.

Wigan = fancy attacking
Everton= fancy attacking

wigan= poor defending
Everton = poor defending

keiv- 2-1 lead at home, fall apart 2nd leg
city- 2-1 win at home, fall apart second leg.

wigan- wont change philosophy ends up relegated
everton- won't change philosophy in relegation form almost for 18 months.

Nothing is going to change with him, we can keep hoping it will all come together but the man doesn't realise all our shortcomings come from his management at the club. Because of this, he just hopes it will all click into place rather than do something about it which is baffling to say the least.

One more pararell as well

one off game vs city- fa cup final / first leg of semi final. both got the result.

I don't even know who we'd get in to replace him at this point, so I'm still Martinez In

Ultimately, we're not getting a top level managerial appointment until we have new owners, a new stadium or both

I heard Eddie Howe mentioned. He'd be alright I suppose, but he's not a tip top manager in the Ancelotti/Mourinho bracket

Sod it, I'd have Pellegrini at this point. Seems like a decent bloke and has cup winning pedigree

He's tactically had Martinez's number, one game aside, every time we've played his City team

You pay a manager what he wants and he'll come, so the thought of we'll end up with a pullis, Hughes etc shouldn't come into consideration.

I agree with pellegrini, did ace work with villareal and Malaga

Apparently it will be full of under 30 year old FIFA playing beauts who have the temerity to be dissatisfied with 12th in the league after 11th last year. Apparently they're all not patient enough and that's the main reason why we are where we are. Apparently.

Thats apparently the most times "apparently" has ever been used in a post on GOT.

Hahaha, has that what its become people getting branded fifa playing beauts for not being happy with whats going on? hahaha.

Howe is completely unproven at this level and doesn't have the best of reputations as a manager, a much less reliable option than Bobby was when he took over. To me the Watford manager might be a better bet (certainly less of a balloon than Howe) as he's had more experience in more places though he's got a chequered history of it not working out in a quite few places now.

We can't afford Pellegrini, and don't come all 'TV money' at me as with the extra money we probably could only just afford his wages as they are now, not when double/triple when everyone else gets the increase in money as well.

We're best off with Bobby, get a good solid defensive coach in and get it sorted.

A lot of martinez which is negative always runs in pararells with each other if you care to admit it.

Wigan = fancy attacking
Everton= fancy attacking

wigan= poor defending
Everton = poor defending

keiv- 2-1 lead at home, fall apart 2nd leg
city- 2-1 win at home, fall apart second leg.

wigan- wont change philosophy ends up relegated
everton- won't change philosophy in relegation form almost for 18 months.

Nothing is going to change with him, we can keep hoping it will all come together but the man doesn't realise all our shortcomings come from his management at the club. Because of this, he just hopes it will all click into place rather than do something about it which is baffling to say the least.

One more pararell as well

one off game vs city- fa cup final / first leg of semi final. both got the result.

Been in relegation form for nearly 18 months yet we finished 11th and are currently 12th. Good one.

Yeah. Still gutted. Still can't see that he'll ever change philosophy. Not arsed about clean sheetd.. pfft! He's lost the fanbase. The press have stopped blowing smoke up his ass and are questioning his excuses also.
Laterz Brendan Martinez

I'd give him till the end of the season then sack him. Firstly as a courtesy to the man, the prove conclusively that he's not the man for us, and secondly because any new manager we'd have coming in, it would be much fairer to them. Imagine coming in right now vs coming in at pre season, being able to assess the squad, ingrain the tactics, let our new shiny defensive coach settle etc. So mostly for the latter reason really.

Now's not the time to sack him.
Just like we're seeing with top players to middle tier clubs in the premier league, the money will result in top coaches wanting to come and work in England also.
Let him finish the season – and if we are still this bad, then he gets sacked.
Then bring in a top coach.
Yes we'll lose Lukaku and Stones, but we'll also get 80 million for them.

Now is exactly the right time to sack him - even though we won't.

Bring in a short term/interim while we take our time to get the right man for pre-season.

I honestly cant think of too many people who could do a worse job than him for the rest of the season. Just look at his win stats ffs.

I'd give him till the end of the season then sack him. Firstly as a courtesy to the man, the prove conclusively that he's not the man for us, and secondly because any new manager we'd have coming in, it would be much fairer to them. Imagine coming in right now vs coming in at pre season, being able to assess the squad, ingrain the tactics, let our new shiny defensive coach settle etc. So mostly for the latter reason really.

Could argue that as this season is now pretty much a write-off, it'd give a new manager the chance to get up to speed and hopefully be settled in time for the new season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back