Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could argue that as this season is now pretty much a write-off, it'd give a new manager the chance to get up to speed and hopefully be settled in time for the new season.

You could argue that too. I'm happy either way tbh.

We know kenwright won't make the call either way though so fingers crossed for these yanks.

agree with you on that, cant see him getting sacked so hope he turns it around, getting fed up saying that, as for the FA cup first top team we play will more than likely knock us out on current form, settle for getting away from the bottom a bit more as this lot and the manager don't have the bollocks to get out of a scrap at the bottom.
really don't think we have seen anything that suggests he can learn from it and change, he has lost the crowd its going to take some doing to get them back onside.
Newcastle is the biggest game for him in his time with us, anything less than three points and its going to get nasty.

It needs to get nasty. Its the only way the board take action this season.

You pay a manager what he wants and he'll come, so the thought of we'll end up with a pullis, Hughes etc shouldn't come into consideration.

I agree with pellegrini, did ace work with villareal and Malaga

Well, money is a factor mate

If we managed to get new owners, then we may be able to attract who ever we want

Pellegrini will want a decent wedge to come in

Bare in mind we will also have to pay Martinez for ending his contract

We'll definitely be looking at cheaper options if Martinez does get the boot

I don't think we'd ever sack him, he'd have to walk

T
I'd give him till the end of the season then sack him. Firstly as a courtesy to the man, the prove conclusively that he's not the man for us, and secondly because any new manager we'd have coming in, it would be much fairer to them. Imagine coming in right now vs coming in at pre season, being able to assess the squad, ingrain the tactics, let our new shiny defensive coach settle etc. So mostly for the latter reason really.
totally agree, with big players definitely going for loads of money we can attract a lot of managers just with the transfer budget if it gets invested back into the squad.

Could argue that as this season is now pretty much a write-off, it'd give a new manager the chance to get up to speed and hopefully be settled in time for the new season.

People said that last season and then were saying let's wait until Christmas of this season. There has to be a tipping point, but that shouldn't be relegatation, run of results, form etc should all amount to a decision and right now it's get rid.

You could argue that too. I'm happy either way tbh.

We know kenwright won't make the call either way though so fingers crossed for these yanks.

This is my worry, Kenwright and co. won't take action because we're still in the PL and that's all they care about.

Well, money is a factor mate

If we managed to get new owners, then we may be able to attract who ever we want

Pellegrini will want a decent wedge to come in

Bare in mind we will also have to pay Martinez for ending his contract

We'll definitely be looking at cheaper options if Martinez does get the boot

I don't think we'd ever sack him, he'd have to walk

Also bare in mind that its not like we haven't given managers good wages, i reckon Martinez is on a lot less them Moyes - but Moyes for a time was on the top 3 wages for managers in the country.

Been in relegation form for nearly 18 months yet we finished 11th and are currently 12th. Good one.
by winning a few games and the ones below us not winning. Or better yet mate here are two facts

1. we only pulled out of a relegation scrap after beating newcastle (was losing every week) and QPR (went down). Impressive stuff eh? Considering we last won 28th jan, before that against....QPR! poor poor form and if newcatle and villa were only the slightest bit better last year then the gap wouldn't have been much. They kept us propped up.

2. this season? We have won 3 games since september. those three? the bottom 3, the only teams we can actually beat right now are the ones marked to go down in may, so the porrest teams in the league. cant beat pretty much a long list of teams now, but this carrying on isn't a worry eh? More so swansea were one of the lowest winning teams in the league before our game according to most, now they have won the same number as us

by winning a few games and the ones below us not winning. Or better yet mate here are two facts

1. we only pulled out of a relegation scrap after beating newcastle (was losing every week) and QPR (went down). Impressive stuff eh? Considering we last won 28th jan, before that against....QPR! poor poor form and if newcatle and villa were only the slightest bit better last year then the gap wouldn't have been much. They kept us propped up.

2. this season? We have won 3 games since september. those three? the bottom 3, the only teams we can actually beat right now are the ones marked to go down in may, so the porrest teams in the league. cant beat pretty much a long list of teams now, but this carrying on isn't a worry eh? More so swansea were one of the lowest winning teams in the league before our game according to most, now they have won the same number as us

You can't be in relegation form for an entire season and not get relegated, and you certainly wouldn't finish 11th.

People said that last season and then were saying let's wait until Christmas of this season. There has to be a tipping point, but that shouldn't be relegatation, run of results, form etc should all amount to a decision and right now it's get rid.

This is my worry, Kenwright and co. won't take action because we're still in the PL and that's all they care about.

People ask what the difference between us and Spurs, the RS etc is. It's certainly not quality of players anymore. It's quite simply ambition. Whilst I'm not a fan of sacking managers at the drop of a hat, if a Spurs or RS manager had them in the bottom half of the table for 18 months well... They just wouldn't. They'd be gone after 6-12, max.

To be honest i agree with the people that say that Martinez has been a worse manager than Walter Smith.The target under Smith was to keep our heads above water and we achieved that.Our target under Martinez is champions league/Europa League qualification and trohpies and we are failing dismally to fulfill those targets.Martinez has a much superior squad of players to work with as well compared to what we had under Walter Smith.In terms of failing to get the most out of the playing resources you can put forward an argument that Roberto Martinez has been our worst manager in our modern history.

Interesting (and scary) argument. Had a quick look at Wiki win stats.
Not sure what soft lads look like as of now but here are some others (all EFC oly)

Walter Smith 31.55%
Moyes: 42% (53% at UTD)
Kendall 54% (1st time, 26% last time)
Gordon Lee 38%
Mike Walker 17.14%

People ask what the difference between us and Spurs, the RS etc is. It's certainly not quality of players anymore. It's quite simply ambition. Whilst I'm not a fan of sacking managers at the drop of a hat, if a Spurs or RS manager had them in the bottom half of the table for 18 months well... They just wouldn't. They'd be gone after 6-12, max.

Yep, but we're gentlemen blah blah blah.

If the board had an ounce of ambition they'd be on the phone to someone like de Boer saying we've got £65k a week for you, bring in who you want and you'll have £40m in the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back