Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ive always admired the way he spoke about us, the way he tried to play football, the signings he has pulled of e.g lukaku, del, But last season we could say europa league - poor excuse i might add, How can we keep him bottom half in a season were the top 4 was easily up for grabs, he has one of the best squads in the league we managed to concede 3 goals in 60 mins if a premier league team cant stop another one from scoring 3 and shutting up shop there has got to be something wrong we are appallingly bad in defense. He has to go blaming ref decisions all the time we still conceded 3 goals, i went to write this last night but i thought id just if it was because i was annoyed, any other clubs manager would be gone!!!!

7th, 7th, 6th in Moyes last 3 seasons with a spend of -£15m.

I think he earned that "blind loyalty"

That just serves to prove how low some fans' expectations have dropped since Moyes though. 25% and rising are happy to keep going with a bloke who is on course to deliver successive bottom half finishes, mostly on the premise that he's built a 'great' team who he can't utilise that score a few more than we did under Moyes.

Interesting (and scary) argument. Had a quick look at Wiki win stats.
Not sure what soft lads look like as of now but here are some others (all EFC oly)

Walter Smith 31.55%
Moyes: 42% (53% at UTD)
Kendall 54% (1st time, 26% last time)
Gordon Lee 38%
Mike Walker 17.14%

Martinez is currently at 43.2% according to wikipedia

You can't be in relegation form for an entire season and not get relegated, and you certainly wouldn't finish 11th.
We were in relegation form from november to march.

This season we are in relegation form realistically from october to now. We have won 3 games in 4 months, we keep not winning and there will be a danger before may.

Interesting (and scary) argument. Had a quick look at Wiki win stats.
Not sure what soft lads look like as of now but here are some others (all EFC oly)

Walter Smith 31.55%
Moyes: 42% (53% at UTD)
Kendall 54% (1st time, 26% last time)
Gordon Lee 38%
Mike Walker 17.14%

This PL only? You'll have someone dragging in Martinez's u -21 Wigan pre season friendly games into the numbers if you're not careful.

Well, money is a factor mate

If we managed to get new owners, then we may be able to attract who ever we want

Pellegrini will want a decent wedge to come in

Bare in mind we will also have to pay Martinez for ending his contract

We'll definitely be looking at cheaper options if Martinez does get the boot

I don't think we'd ever sack him, he'd have to walk

A contract, of course, we bizarrely decided to renew just one year into his tenure.

Financial planning, the Everton way.

Love to see the league percentages since the first season though. It's okay allowing 1 bad season after his good first but it's dragged on too long with no sign of improvement or tactical evolution. Hell, not even an ounce of accountability.

He won 21 of his first 38 in the league.

He's subsequently won 18 of his next 61. It is grim reading

Moyes should've gone about 3 years sooner than he did, I really hope we don't make the same mistake again. Kenwright's bling loyalty is dangerous.

How I viewed that was 2003-2010 Moyes turned us round from relegation and built his first team (Arteta Cahill Pienaar Jags etc.), then after the cup final and those terrible injuries it pretty much fell apart with Lescott Arteta Pienaar all going. There were some low times through 11-12. I suppose at this point there was a decision to be made to either allow him to refresh the team or get rid of him. The former was chosen and in a remarkably short space of time we were back in European contention and cup semi finals with anew side based around Gibson Jelavic Mirallas Naismith etc. With Barkley and then Stones brought in. We could have quite easily dropped off a cliff post 09 with that squad but the refresh of it in a short space of time was remarkable. Yes no trophies etc. (But as last night showed they're not easily picked up). I can see the point that he stayed too long definitely, but I actually thought our last season was the best football since 07/08.

Out, but not on anything to do with last night.
Atrocious record for the past two seasons, with the seemingly more and more rare clicking performance.

Need someone who can set up a team from the back, and has the fire and drive to push our young squad on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back