Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was another nail in Martinez's coffin. He has dropped Howard and Stones and now someone needs to drop him this summer. Would you give him your money to buy especially after spending 13 million on a player who watches us play even when he is on the pitch. Winning an FA cup does not mean we put our future in his hands as he needs to be consistent for 38matches and he has proved otherwise these 2 years.

No other club with any ambition would tolerate this seasons home record and overall league performance.

1. Do i care that he got 72 point in his first season - not at all, that gave him the grace of a terrible last season, he used that credit up in spades this season was the one he started needing to show what he was all about, in that he has done, he can manage a team in a cup environ, but in the league looks out of his depth and clueless
2. Do i care we got to two semi finals in the cup - no, one of those semi's make the situation worse, we where 3-1 up in the tie and then the manager makes a 'league like' decision, and after that we bottled it as a team, Kone out of form and with no confidence coming on and cheerio any chance of the cup final, in the FA cup - people like @davek are lauding it like we won it already (although he is careful to cover his arse by saying even if we lose its a great acheievement etc etc etc ), sorry but Villa managed by Tim Sherwood managed to reach a cup final last season - look at them this, Wigan, Birmingham, Portsmouth all won cup finals, great if we win it, but does absolutely nothing besides paper over the cracks in terms of where we are as a team and progress we are making (or lack therof)
3.Do i care that we are 'the entertainers' - nope, because that title is given almost as a pat on the head by people, yeah your crap but fun to watch as a neutral etc, stick it in the same bag as punching above ourt weight and knives to gunfights for how it means nothing but a backhand compliment.
4. Do i care that we have conceded the most goals of any team in the league at home, including Villa - yup, home form dictates where you are as a team and by and large the team tends to play to the managers 'philosophy' most at home for teams - the home everton is the real martinez style of play
5. Do i care we have lost 8 games at home and won 4 (3 of thos eagainst the bottom 3 teams this season) - yup i do because that shows that besides for the absolute terrible teams in this league that any other team has found us out at Goodison and the manager hasn't got a clue what to do about it
6. Do i care that we have lost more points from winning positions than any othe team - yup, because that shows a team lacking in character - and a team is a reflection of the manager, no character, no spine and no responsibility attached, no surprise though as how can the manager hold any player accountable when he singularly fails to either take any of the responsibility on himself or hides his head in the sand with talks about luck, refs and phenomenal performances not giving what we deserved
7. Do i think its an utter embaressment to have Stones, Deulofeu benched from this team and their development seemingly going backwards - yup, because after all one of Martinez selling points is how he develops through youth, Galloway is now back with the udner 21's, Stones looks a shell of a player in large part due to Martinez mismanagement of him, Deulofeu has become the victim of martinez being unable to organize a defense - so unless a player can 'put a shift' in then they can't play - that sounds very similar to what Moyes used to do and the reasons he wouldn't play young players doesn't it?
8. Do i think we need to change the manager - 100% yes, keeping a hold of martinez is something that no club with any real ambition of going anywhere besides the championship would do, if we keep hold of him then it's a huge red flag that 'this is ok' - players with more ambition than a semi final and 12th place will move on, yes they may move anyway but can guarantee it will be a lot faster that they leave under the current manager
9. do i think @davek will answer this post, - kind of, he will probably pick one or two points and give some slant on how it's amazing and phenomenal and the rest eh will just swerve any answer to.

Wigan and Portsmouth won the cup so in reality anybody can win it, we are all desperate for silverware but the league is the bread and butter. He is simply not good enough and never ever will be. Considering the squad available to him then He is right up there with the worst of managers. His teams have no bottle, no real shape, game plan and I am afraid to say hope. We laughed at the RS with Brendan but we have a bigger underachiever in terms of league position who talks utter nonsense most weeks in charge. It is about winning and putting points on the board and we are certain for back to back bottom half finishes. That says it all and is unacceptable. I am rarely proud of the team these days and a cup win would be great but a couple more years in charge and we will be facing relagation scraps with this clown at the helm. NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM.

Finishing in the bottom half for consecutive seasons while having Romelu Lukaku in your team is unacceptable.

The only reason while i still tolerate Bobby is his ability to bring players like Rom in, but soon enough they all are going to want to leave and then there's not gonna be a reason for him to still be our manager.

I think i prefer not to wait until that happens, winning FA Cup might change my mind, but i just don't believe in him anymore. 3 seasons is enough.
The ability to bring players like Rom in?
Lukaku has been a fantastic signing, no doubt about that, but he is the only signing that really stands out. If we hadn't signed Rom would we be saying his signings were great? It could be that we just got lucky with him, that we were in the right place at the right time.
I like Deulofeu but he can't get in the side. I like Besic but he hardly ever plays. I like Funes Mori but we don't defend well with him in the side or not. Barry has done quite well but he's coming towards the end of his career. McCarthy is decent but is definitely overrated by evertonians. Niasse doesn't seem like a £13m player, but the jury is still out on him. Kone is crap, Alcaraz was crap. I could go on.

I'm not saying his signings are awful but if you take Lukaku out of the equation then they're nothing special.

We won't get relegated. We've the resources to do enough.

United, Chelsea, City, West Ham, RS, Spurs all changed their manager in no where near as bad a record as we have at the moment.

Leicester needed rid of their manager, who was a nutcase (and hasn't found a job since) and upgraded massively.

So the effect of changing manager there is a 50:50 gamble.

Chelsea went from Champions to their worst league position for some time, Utd are at their lowest ebb for many a year and City have really gone off the boil since Pellegrini's departure was announced. The Shyte haven't set the world alite but they've dug out some great results whilst Leicester, West Ham and Spurs have all improved significantly.
In summary its a complete gamble either way.

So the effect of changing manager there is a 50:50 gamble.

Chelsea went from Champions to their worst league position for some time, Utd are at their lowest ebb for many a year and City have really gone off the boil since Pellegrini's departure was announced. The Shyte haven't set the world alite but they've dug out some great results whilst Leicester, West Ham and Spurs have all improved significantly.
In summary its a complete gamble either way.

What can be worse than the current mid-lower table team status? Relegation battle aka Walter Smith era. I do think the current status of the league form is enough to warrant a sack in May. The new boss shall come forward and appoint a proven manager (can't give you any name though).

Take your point HKT....but parts of our game are so much better than they have been for many a season too. It's a fine line between stick or twist in my opinion.
We've seemingly done the right thing ownership-ship wise by going for a businessman who's had a good apprenticeship I the premier league at probably the most organised team in the country, rather than some American franchise type like those who've contributed to the malaise at clubs like United, Villa, Liverpool and Sunderland etc

I'm amazed at the talent of people on here.

The players don't want to play for Martinez. Last week against Chelsea you guys noticed the players playing for themselves, not Martinez.

How people can do this I don't know, can you speak with the dead using these talents you have?

Take your point HKT....but parts of our game are so much better than they have been for many a season too. It's a fine line between stick or twist in my opinion.
We've seemingly done the right thing ownership-ship wise by going for a businessman who's had a good apprenticeship I the premier league at probably the most organised team in the country, rather than some American franchise type like those who've contributed to the malaise at clubs like United, Villa, Liverpool and Sunderland etc

I won't deny the attacking play is better but our defence got even worse so it balances each other out. The league is always the priority. And we need results as the league table has shown we have regressed so I think a decision will be made upon the FA Cup. A cup win will buy him one more season to prove if he can hack it in PL. If not, sack him in May for the good of the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back