Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At least, n his post match presser, he was honest enough to concede that we were phenomenal, nor in a good moment of our football. But when asked whether he would be addressing directly with the players their apparent apathy, he started talking about Gareth Barry and how much we missed him. He's a slippery snake oil salesman that R Martinez...should have been a politician.
Get rid of him asap.
might make sense if we hadn't had Barry in the team for the rest of the home defeats, but we did , so that will not wash.

Moshiri or not he's going nowhere unless we go down.

I'm not sure if you've all forgotten Kenwright saying 'what a manager' last week, and Moshiri isn't even the full owner of the club.

All you'll get it a summer review, and Kenwright will sweet talk Moshiri into keeping him, I don't know why people put themselves through so much effort regurgitating the same posts when the guy clearly isn't going to go.

Just an indication of how personality cults work. I think there's signs of obsession with Mourinho and Mirallas and a part of personality cults is to condemn anyone who stands in their way. So when we lose there's a concerted attack on Martinez/Cleverley even poor Niasse.
Lots of reasonable arguments on both sides but easy to spot the cultists from their other obsessions and the theory that if you repeat something enough times it becomes true. Hence 50 pages.
Not to worry though if they follow the pattern at some point they'll be convinced by Super Kev to swallow poison unless he's back in the first team.
A tragedy on a human level but it'll be a bit quieter on this thread.
So a cultists can't be a person who is blind to a managers faults and defends him despite contrary evidence. It's a true insult to fans who have watched us fail to achieve WINS in the league for almost two seasons to label them cultists.

Fair enough was more just enquiring into the reliability of the source, Pienaar's been fit for a while and hasn't been getting a game so wouldn't be surprised if he had a tiff.
Well Pienaar ain't got nothing to lose, it's his last Season with us, has far has the info I disclosed,it was given to me by a lounge member.

So a cultists can't be a person who is blind to a managers faults and defends him despite contrary evidence. It's a true insult to fans who have watched us fail to achieve WINS in the league for almost two seasons to label them cultists.
Can be either. I'd suggest having your opinions no matter how strong but being open to them changing is where everyone should be.
Interesting you used evidence. There really is just opinions.

What annoyed me most about yesterday was that he got the plan wrong to start with and didn't change it until half time.

For a man who models his style of football on Barcelona there appears to be no urgency in getting the ball back from the opposition, he'd rather let them have it and wait for them to make a mistake rather than proactively hunt the ball down. If we can do it against Chelsea why can't we do it every match?

Leicester and Spurs have been doing it great this season and look at how they're performing.

We can't rely on teams making mistakes in the final third to get the ball back, especially teams like Arsenal because with our leaky defense they just end up scoring rather than turning it over.

emotionheader.jpg

The biggest mystery for me was the fact he went 3 at the back so Baines could push up and attack, and he had Galloway warming up for ages. Galloway is a defender pure and simple, he's like Hibbert attacking wise, turns back when he goes forward. After taking a midfielder off for a defender at half time surely he was never actually thinking if swapping an attacking left/wing back for an out and out left back. Yesterday's midfield was so bad that I even wished Gibson was there second half.

Moshiri or not he's going nowhere unless we go down.

I'm not sure if you've all forgotten Kenwright saying 'what a manager' last week, and Moshiri isn't even the full owner of the club.

All you'll get it a summer review, and Kenwright will sweet talk Moshiri into keeping him, I don't know why people put themselves through so much effort regurgitating the same posts when the guy clearly isn't going to go.
That's a fair enough point TBH and the only thing I agree with DaveK on when it comes to Martinez.

He ain't going anywhere and he'll be here again next season, and I find that extremely depressing.

That's a fair enough point TBH and the only thing I agree with DaveK on when it comes to Martinez.

He ain't going anywhere and he'll be here again next season, and I find that extremely depressing.

So Kenwright and the new boss accept two seasons of horrific league results? What do they see in Martinez why do they think results will go in our way next season given how poor the team has been for 18 months.

Can be either. I'd suggest having your opinions no matter how strong but being open to them changing is where everyone should be.
Interesting you used evidence. There really is just opinions.
True, my opinion is based on 4 home wins, 5 away only out of 30 games. Observational evidence, but we can't exactly have a parallel universe to conduct a randomised control trial on Everton.
What should you based you decisions on whether you support a manager? Wins, league position, or his personality/football philosophy?

If we were defensively solid for every remaining game, and won the FA cup. I'd likely have second thoughts about his stewardship.

So Kenwright and the new boss accept two seasons of horrific league results? What do they see in Martinez why do they think results will go in our way next season given how poor the team has been for 18 months.
I have no idea. But DaveK is right, it's pointless moaning about him because he'll be here next season unfortunately.

Then looking at some of our wiser, more experienced Evertonians like @BlockHead , @Khalekan , @The Esk and so forth and what they have posted today which would suggest seasoned Evertonians also think change is required.

Thought about Martinez this morning and I'm nailing my colours to "he has to go".

Strip out the fluffy stuff, yes he's a nice guy, yes he totally "gets" Everton - of that there is little doubt.

The real stuff though is week in week out preparing a team that can play to its potential, that maximises results relative to the resources available to it.

On this score he fails miserably, we are a shadow of the team we should be given the playing resources available to Martinez. Not only do individual players consistently not perform to the levels they are capable of, there is a minimal level of tactical awareness and a mental fragility that can only come from the preparation activities of the manager and coaching team in between matches.

I am certain Moshiri will not find this level of management acceptable, I suspect in the absence of an available candidate he favours, Martinez will see it through to the end of the season, but not beyond it.

It's a great shame that the Martinez dream has not translated into reality on the pitch, a genuine shame as almost without exception Martinez has carried a huge amount of goodwill. However the reality is that he lacks the skills to execute his fine ideals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back