Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Detract from the point that Martinez brought Lukaku in to do a job, to score goals that win us games, obviously Martinez doesn't get credit for that though does he.

I think that is unfair, he gets a huge amount of credit from both sides of the debate for doing that. Imagine if we'd gone into that first season with just Kone and Jelavic as the options - him getting Lukaku over the line avoided that doomsday scenario.

He's brought in some cracking players - Barry, Lukaku, Del, Lennon. I'm no McCarthy fan but he was exceptional first season. But there has also been some serious dross - Kone, Alcaraz, McGeady, Cleverley, and he doesn't seem hugely confident in this new lad he brought in so far. Funes Mori is beginning to be targeted by the opposition increasingly as he has some massive holes in his defensive game, but he isn't quite as bad as the gruesome aforementioned four .

Overall I'd say his decision to put £28m down - a huge chunk of his overall outlay - has been massively vindicated. Sadly, we are not going to capitalise on his 25 goals, we are going to survive on them.

True, my opinion is based on 4 home wins, 5 away only out of 30 games. Observational evidence, but we can't exactly have a parallel universe to conduct a randomised control trial on Everton.
What should you based you decisions on whether you support a manager? Wins, league position, or his personality/football philosophy?

If we were defensively solid for every remaining game, and won the FA cup. I'd likely have second thoughts about his stewardship.
More defensively solid would be good. Although only conceding twice in a handful of games didn't seem to shift plenty of people's views at all. So it is still all subjective. I thought we were poor all over the pitch yesterday but it wasn't typical. Still we know who'll be singled out by some and who won't.

Overall I'd say his decision to put £28m down - a huge chunk of his overall outlay - has been massively vindicated. Sadly, we are not going to capitalise on his 25 goals, we are going to survive on them.

This in itself is such a crime. Yes, Martinez did very well to secure Lukaku who has more than delivered the goods, and yet we linger below mid-table for the second season in a row.

He has lost the dressing room. Players look lost. Will he be in charge next season? That will depend on who is the real boss at the club? If Bill is he probably will be in charge. If Moshiri is i think he will be gone.

Why does Bill like him and think he is a great manager? Squad Valuation simple. Lukaku 60m Stones 40m Barkley 50m. Thats why he is a great manager and Bill and Co got 87.5m for their shares. Would Moshiri have paid that much for the club if they were worth far less? Probably not.

I personally think he will drag us down more if he is left in charge. To me he talks excellent about the game and how it should be played but he cannot put it into practice.

I think people may be underestimating the fact that our major shareholder has just shelled out the best part of £100m and I don't see why he would accept dross for his money.
On the other hand though, you had Kenwright somewhat excitedly declaring how fantastic he believes Martinez is. "What a manager..."

He then went on to acknowledge the 'odd' criticism: is that odd as in a small number or that he simply doesn't understand it? I'd say the latter.

You'd hope it was just his theatrical skills and a veneer or support for Martinez as the Chairman, but deep down I think we all know it may not be.

While I'm sure the new part-owner will have his own opinions regarding how we're progressing, the sweet-talk from Kenwright may cloud the facts.

bad-boys-gif.gif

The goals conceded at home stats are ominous, 4 home league wins since April 2015 is pathetic, and blaming the fans is unforgivable.

So he's signed a few very good players and he's made us hard to beat away from home, so what? He's a nice bloke and he gets Everton, again, so what.

Without the goals of Lukaku we'd be in a relegation battle and Lukaku could be going in the summer, he's certainly made the noises to suggest so. If Lukaku's goals weren't there to paper over the cracks of Martinez's tactical stubbornness and ineptitude, we'd very much be in trouble.

I genuinely worry that if we give this man another go next season then he could cause some serious damage to our club. We need to be proactive and not reactive, get rid at the end of the season and give a new manager a whole pre season.

That's not even mentioning the back room staff he's brought from Wigan who clearly aren't doing Martinez any favours on the training ground. The players aren't fit enough, they're not motivated enough, they can't defend simple crosses, they don't close teams down and win the ball back, in fact they simply cannot defend full stop.

How is Dennis Lawrence still in a job? He's coaching a back 4 which regularly got us to 6/7th in the league, all of which are established international players, and we've conceded the most home goals in Europe, at least until the freak 9-0 result which saw Troyes overtake us. The man has to be the worst defensive coach in Europe and we've got him, it's atrocious.

If Martinez is given £100m to spend, what's he realistically going to do with it? Evidence suggests he'll buy even more international defenders who will join the current crop at being unable to defend.

I really, really hope that Moshiri can see what plenty of sensible blues can see, that this man is taking us one way and one way only, down the table. I hope he's not clouded by Bill's ridiculous sentimentality because if he is, he's going to be throwing money at a problem which won't fix itself.

On the other hand though, you had Kenwright somewhat excitedly declaring how fantastic he believes Martinez is. "What a manager..."

He then went on to acknowledge the 'odd' criticism: is that odd as in a small number or that he simply doesn't understand it? I'd say the latter.

You'd hope it was just his theatrical skills and a veneer or support for Martinez as the Chairman, but deep down I think we all know it may not be.

While I'm sure the new part-owner will have his own opinions regarding how we're progressing, the sweet-talk from Kenwright may cloud the facts.

All very true this mate, and it begs the question as to what the balance of power will now look like. Personally, I suspect that if Moshiri wants to bring in someone new badly enough, Kenwright will not be able to stand in his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back