Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that is unfair, he gets a huge amount of credit from both sides of the debate for doing that. Imagine if we'd gone into that first season with just Kone and Jelavic as the options - him getting Lukaku over the line avoided that doomsday scenario.

He's brought in some cracking players - Barry, Lukaku, Del, Lennon. I'm no McCarthy fan but he was exceptional first season. But there has also been some serious dross - Kone, Alcaraz, McGeady, Cleverley, and he doesn't seem hugely confident in this new lad he brought in so far. Funes Mori is beginning to be targeted by the opposition increasingly as he has some massive holes in his defensive game, but he isn't quite as bad as the gruesome aforementioned four .

Overall I'd say his decision to put £28m down - a huge chunk of his overall outlay - has been massively vindicated. Sadly, we are not going to capitalise on his 25 goals, we are going to survive on them.
Agree with almost everything in that post, except for the bold part. Harsh. Not the best, but doesn't deserve to be mentioned with the previous 3

When the media get things going, it won't last long for Martinez. And hopefully a better future for the blues.
Correct. But the issue is, in the main they don't really care about Everton so it'll take longer for it to gather any momentum. Even on the Sunday supplement we got Neil Ashton saying 'Quick word on Everton' followed by John Cross slightly putting the Boot in, Neil Custis saying he thinks Moyes shall return and they didn't even ask the relatively local journalist in John Norcroft for an opinion.

I want Koeman.

First McNulty and the Belgian Journo ripping the urine out of Martinez, and now Greg O Keefe has started too!

To be fair, the local journalists turned against him after Stoke away last season and haven't really let up since.

They seem to despise him.

Correct. But the issue is, in the main they don't really care about Everton so it'll take longer for it to gather any momentum. Even on the Sunday supplement we got Neil Ashton saying 'Quick word on Everton' followed by John Cross slightly putting the Boot in, Neil Custis saying he thinks Moyes shall return and they didn't even ask the relatively local journalist in John Norcroft for an opinion.

I want Koeman.

I want a manager who can setup a defence and build that on to win football games.

All very true this mate, and it begs the question as to what the balance of power will now look like. Personally, I suspect that if Moshiri wants to bring in someone new badly enough, Kenwright will not be able to stand in his way.
Well Moshiri has seen the polar-opposites of Everton (and the fans) under Martinez within seven days, so maybe that'll stir his thoughts.

Really we do not know what Kenwright and other may genuinely believe, but yesterday's shameful performance and our overall stats will be telling.

Personally, I think if Moshiri believed a new manager was necessary then he'd eventually get his way as it's his money they'll be spending.

Well Moshiri has seen the polar-opposites of Everton (and the fans) under Martinez within seven days, so maybe that'll stir his thoughts.

Really we do not know what Kenwright and other may genuinely believe, but yesterday's shameful performance and our overall stats will be telling.

Personally, I think if Moshiri believed a new manager was necessary then he'd eventually get his way as it's his money they'll be spending.
But look at where Moshiri has come from... His experience of being part of a football club so far comes from Arsenal - who just like us, don't change managers, even when you could argue they should have, since they haven't won the league in a decade+

I think everyone's assuming that Moshiri is going to come in like some sort of axe man and make the changes that Kenwright wouldn't.

We have no way of knowing if that's even a vague possibility yet.

The ability to bring players like Rom in?
Lukaku has been a fantastic signing, no doubt about that, but he is the only signing that really stands out. If we hadn't signed Rom would we be saying his signings were great? It could be that we just got lucky with him, that we were in the right place at the right time.
I like Deulofeu but he can't get in the side. I like Besic but he hardly ever plays. I like Funes Mori but we don't defend well with him in the side or not. Barry has done quite well but he's coming towards the end of his career. McCarthy is decent but is definitely overrated by evertonians. Niasse doesn't seem like a £13m player, but the jury is still out on him. Kone is crap, Alcaraz was crap. I could go on.

I'm not saying his signings are awful but if you take Lukaku out of the equation then they're nothing special.

But Rom was the only one 28m signing. Deulofeu for 4m is fantastic business, so is Lennon. We've got two very good players in the same position for 8m, that doesn't happen often in modern football. Besic was never going to displace Barry, it was fairly obvious. We could put the best defender in world and our team and we still wouldn't defend well, the problem is in management, not in Funes Mori.

The only real flops are the ex-Wigan players, but i guess it always happens when manager moves to a better team and takes his favourites with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back