Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You dont think attitudes to managers aren't more sharply felt after big defeats? Moyes was faced with calls to go on a weekly basis after every defeat in his final few seasons. That just goes with the territory.

Fans are fickle. The reality is that fumegeddon on footy forums and radio phone ins mean nothing. They come and they go. It happens at all clubs...clubs in far better positions than we find ourselves in right now. Our club's board aren't 'making decisions' because they're preoccupied, it just doesn't register with them. They've seen this scenario umpteen times both under Moyes and last season with Martinez, and they know it gets resolved...and that's even given the benefit of the doubt to them that they're even thinking about the issue. I doubt very much they are.

There's a massive disconnect between the views of people on social media and the reality of the day to day running of PL clubs. The former just create background noise that's overwhelmingly ignored or more likely just doesn't cut through. These forums are an echo chamber.

Of course there's always fume after a defeat, but this is more than merely post match fume.

The disappointing league showing has been offset by the possibility of a cup final, now that's gone then the reality of where we are as a side is coming into sharp focus. It was always going to happen, hence my comment earlier about the fine margins in football.

Fans are fed up with the defensive fragility of the team and the empty sound bites of the manager Dave. He's now under severe pressure and he needs a run of results to alleviate it. The Newcastle game is massive for him.

Top half wouldn't be decent mate, whichever way you slice it. Look at the players we have.

It has been a rubbish season so far and unless we charge up the table and miraculously threaten the top 4 then we have underperformed.
Top four was never on. So top half was realistic.

Of course there's always fume after a defeat, but this is more than merely post match fume.

The disappointing league showing has been offset by the possibility of a cup final, now that's gone then the reality of where we are as a side is coming into sharp focus. It was always going to happen, hence my comment earlier about the fine margins in football.

Fans are fed up with the defensive fragility of the team and the empty sound bites of the manager Dave. He's now under severe pressure and he needs a run of results to alleviate it. The Newcastle game is massive for him.
That has all the hallmarks of wishful thinking about it.

It just isn't real mate. It isn't. Believe me, if the time arrives when it looks like Martinez is skating on thin ice it'll be recognised and acknowledged by me. But what we're seeing here are people posting on a forum who have invested enormous amounts of emotional energy dearly wanting a change of manager for two years or more now and who think every defeat is the trigger for it. Well it isn't. They are so far off having their finger on the pulse of the club on the issue it's untrue.

Here's what is real: we have still a relatively new manager for this club rebuilding a squad and adding massive value to it (if you think that isn't appreciated by the decision makers you have rocks in your head). We've just pushed the best team in the country all the way and just fell short of a cup final by virtue of a dodgy decision. We must do better in the league.

That ^^^ is what the board see.

End of story.

Wish all you want, but THAT is the reality.

Good God. You're giving the ref and his officials a free pass after that disgrace last night.

Your hatred for the manger's just about got the better of you. You're not the only one.

See? ^^^ This is a wonderful example of your idolatry (bordering on fanatical obsession) of martinez. I've criticized his tactics but I don't remember calling for him to go (At least not yet)

We don't allow the opposition so many chances, the officials can't get as many things wrong. It's not hard to fathom. The officials deserve their criticism, sure, but essentially martinez' tactics is the true architect of our exit.

If you go around waving a wad of moolah, then it's reasonable to expect to be relieved of it. Keep it in your arse bin, and the odds are you'll end up at your destination a lot better off.

genuine question here mate considering the side your opinion is on.

We have only beaten the bottom 3 since september this season, we are shipping goals now (5 times we have conceded 3 in the last 2 months), defensive issues keep coming back again and again, and there is no sign of any incomings to at least give the team a little bit of a spark.

Why is this? If martinez is still the right man for the job? And why has this not changed in 18 months?

Genuinely interested in hearing your opinion on this
We're shipping goals because we have a poor GK, by and large. The defence is a problem. IMO, we looked best this seaosn with a flatter back four early on in it with Galloway and Browning there - players who offered less going forward but are strong and competitive defenders. That gave us a better platform to attack. But that's redeemable and all of that is offset by our strength going forward.

All of which is to say that any problems we have are easily solved. Martinez is in the early stages of his career here and will iron all this out.

That has all the hallmarks of wishful thinking about it.

It just isn't real mate. It isn't. Believe me, if the time arrives when it looks like Martinez is skating on thin ice it'll be recognised and acknowledged by me. But what we're seeing here are people posting on a forum who have invested enormous amounts of emotional energy dearly wanting a change of manager for two years or more now and who think every defeat is the trigger for it. Well it isn't. They are so far off having their finger on the pulse of the club on the issue it's untrue.

Here's what is real: we have still a relatively new manager for this club rebuilding a squad and adding massive value to it (if you think that isn't appreciated by the decision makers you have rocks in your head). We've just pushed the best team in the country all the way and just fell short of a cup final by virtue of a dodgy decision. We must do better in the league.

That ^^^ is what the board see.

End of story.

Wish all you want, but THAT is the reality.

Last year I listened to you making these same points. 12 months on and it's gotten worse. You're depending on going on a run to get into the top half and will be satisfied with that. I honestly think you're a red taking the piss. They are the only ones I thought would be happy to see us doing so poorly.

If you don't notice that the the slow slide down the league standings is an issue because like a magpie you were distracted by the shiny league cup that's fine. Which thread are you banned from? I can't listen to your delusions any more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back