Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As it stands, he's put an enormous amount of pressure on himself to win the FA cup. Whether we win it or lose is the fine line between us having a great season where we end our 21 year wait and qualify for Europe, or achieve nothing again and perform (probably) poorly in the league.

He's rightly been given time (especially as he has proved he can win this trophy with a weaker side, against stronger opposition) and he can still pull off a good return for the season, but it's going to come down to the semi and then the final, should we get through.

It shouldn't be this tight. We should be higher in the league, not that I or anyone else will care one jot if we win the cup. We'll have got our European football and trophy fair and square. If we lose, it's another year of failure and we'll have to look at our options.
If he is under pressure, and I'm not completely convinced, what's your gut telling you about how this effects us going into the semi? Seems like it's a free shot at glory for everyone else except us and Van Gaal. I've no strong feeling as to whether it'll give us an edge or not.
Still think we are gonna do it though, pressure or not

Roberto Martinez home wins since 2010
10/11 4 wins
11/12 5 wins
12/13 4 wins (relegated)
13/14 13 wins
14/15 7 wins
15/16 4 wins

No wonder he is so nonchalant and doesn't seem to be aware there's a major problem or pressure when he does his frustrating post home defeat interviews. It's routine, its what he does year in year out, baring when he inherited Moyes Everton that year. It makes perfect sense. I'd actually be surprised if he acted like he was concerned now looking at the stats. He is numb to showing home fans a few wins a season. Think of all them post interviews he's done.

Still not over reading that tbh. I knew he gradually relegated wigan but when you see the home form over the years stated out like that.

Mad thing is I desperately want him to win the cup with us this year so bad. Shows you what 20 of years can do.

Go way out of that you WUM. That can't be true, I don't think Martinez is the man for the longterm future but no need to resort to making fake crazy stats.

There's no need to resort to personal attacks, mate.

Next time can you please just look up our results before making a completely incorrect statement against me? I'm deeply hurt...

I for one minute done think our home support thinks our home form is acceptable, far from it. I know you have been in Bobby's corner mate, and I did see from your posts that West Ham was enough for you.

But I still think that there are many many thousands of Evertonians that think Martinez is building something solid and will turn it around. As increased attendances would suggest.

I don't believe there as many as you might think, Hull.

And nowhere near as many as there were even two short months ago when I was posting on this very thread about how the Spurs home game and the first leg against City and the scoreless draw in the league game over there heralded a new pragmatism and greater resilience about our defending.

Alas, it was an illusion.

I am citing Hammers as the game which crushed my belief in Bobby, but the more I think about it the writing was on the wall with the nervy last twenty minutes at Villa.

We came perilously close to blowing a three goal lead that night against possibly the worst team we have seen in the EPL since the turn of the century.

They missed a sitter which would have fetched it back to 2-3 and I shudder to think what might have happened after that if they had scored it.

I am watching Wigerton these days Hull, I am afraid to say :(

There's no need to resort to personal attacks, mate.

Next time can you please just look up our results before making a completely incorrect statement against me? I'm deeply hurt...

It was a shock to the system and I'm of the opinion Martinez is not the man for future already.

If he is under pressure, and I'm not completely convinced, what's your gut telling you about how this effects us going into the semi? Seems like it's a free shot at glory for everyone else except us and Van Gaal. I've no strong feeling as to whether it'll give us an edge or not.
Still think we are gonna do it though, pressure or not

I've no idea how pressure will affect how we play, really. If we defend alright, aren't hideously unlucky and manage the games correctly, the only team left in it that can still stop us is United imo. I think outplaying West Ham with half the game at 10 vs 11 and easily matching them at their place showed that if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, we can beat them, no problem (barring something out of this world from Payet, which is the only reason they're still in the quarters).

It will be very interesting to see what happens regards to Dave if Martinez does indeed get given his marching orders

The next manager will have a massive up hill battle to win Dave over straight from the off, especially if he favours a more cautious and defensive approach to the style Martinez is known for

I honestly think Dave might stop following Everton if Martinez goes and the new manager doesn't manage in a similar vein

He loves Martinez that much

Credit to him to be honest. He's stuck by his guns from the off and never waivered

And if by some chance Moyes was fetched back ol' Dave's head would explode :celebrate:

I mean, I bloody love Martinez

I think he's a top bloke

But defensively he's awful

It'll probably cost him his job, and that's a massive shame as he brings so many positives to the table

I'll be genuinely sad to see him go if Moshiri lowers the guillotine on him

This is a bit like the last days of Colin Harvey for me.

I really liked Colin but he just was not up to the job so it was with great reluctance I accepted the fact he needed binning.

I feel the same about Bobby now.

I've no idea how pressure will affect how we play, really. If we defend alright, aren't hideously unlucky and manage the games correctly, the only team left in it that can still stop us is United imo. I think outplaying West Ham with half the game at 10 vs 11 and easily matching them at their place showed that if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot, we can beat them, no problem (barring something out of this world from Payet, which is the only reason they're still in the quarters).
I think in some strange way if West Ham go through that capitulation and their smugness after may end up working in our favour. I saw nothing to be scared of apart from Payet and we've got our own match winners. Can see them being more convinced than us they've won it already if they beat Man u.
Semi finals are horribly unpredictable as well so I'm going to retract all that optimism by the time it comes around.

I think in some strange way if West Ham go through that capitulation and their smugness after may end up working in our favour. I saw nothing to be scared of apart from Payet and we've got our own match winners. Can see them being more convinced than us they've won it already if they beat Man u.
Semi finals are horribly unpredictable as well so I'm going to retract all that optimism by the time it comes around.

They are tough to predict, as liverpool found out last season.

All we know is we've got a good chance and a manager who's done it all before while under pressure for league performance, so we can be quietly confident for the time being. That's why we shouldn't sack him now, imo.

Would rather have the Neville brothers at the helm over Roberto now. Gary as manager and Phil as chief whip.

Seriously!

Surely Gary could borrow some of the Sky touch screens...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back