Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 2 1/2 years - relatively new? lol

Try all you like to spin this into some fanciful internet campaign by some supposed group that have made it their goal in life to hound out a manager, that's all in your head lad.

Evertonians being hacked off with the results and performances of the team is what the issue is, and the buck for that stops with Martinez.

Twas ever thus.

The irrefutable bottom line here is that those who oppose the manager dont register. Not at all. This is what I've maintained for an hour or more on this thread, and it hasn't been seriously challenged...and neither can it be.

I do feel genuinely sorry for people who dont or wont grasp that.

We have a manager who needs to tighten up his defence. Correct. But we have a manager that will be given the time to do that and see his present contract out - at least.

I suggest that anyone who doesn't recognise that clear fact - or who cant handle it - find something else to campaign on.

I thought after Sunday that if we don't get through to the final then I'd want him gone. I like the bloke, I really want him to succeed and I understand that because of a lack of funds any transition is bound to take longer than a lot of clubs. I like the way we have been playing away from home this season. The football we've played and the general control we've had of the games is something I've not seen an Everton team do for a very long time. The problem with Bobby is he has never shown the ability to stop the defence conceding goals. Even last night when Aguerro hit the post, Barry is trying to take a touch instead of hoofing the ball clear. We were lucky to get away with that one but with the amount of individual errors leading to goals because of the way he wants to play, it's ridiculous that he's not changed. Fine if he wants to play from the back building an attack but defenders have got to defend when we're in trouble. I also hate the fact he can't seem to spot a weak link in the team and persists with them when it should be about a players form, not their reputation. That being said he won't be sacked so I'll carry on supporting him and avoiding twitter where some of the personal attacks are nothing short of embarrassing.

Hes not gonna get sacked in the foreseeable, good thing as i could see them bringing moyes back because it'd be so convenient.

It's funny that the rumoured takeover never features in these thoughts. We don't know what everton are going to be like in six months, time. Assuming that it will be the same anti-change mentality that it has been under kenwright seems presumptive.

Top four was never on. So top half was realistic.

Oh come off it. At the start of this season the top 4 was the collective aim and ambition of the club, the manager, the players, the staff, club linked pundits and the local media, along most of the fan base.

Martinez has really molded our possible front 6, bringing in Lukaku, Deulofeu, Kone, McCarthy, Barry, Cleverley, Besic and bringing along Barkley. We have scored goals fairly consistently and at times looked breathtaking. However, football isn't only about attack.

His only big change at the back has been to bring in Mori, and that being 2 years after he first joined. He has given some of our youngsters a go and given Stones lots of match time (and he is currently the one cocking up tbh), but the old Moyes guard are still our back 5. Howard, Coleman, Baines and Jagielka - Martinez needs to work out how he can improve them as a unit, or start bringing in serious replacements.

We've been conceding goals at a really poor rate for 18 months now. In the summer we thought that Europe had a big impact last season and the likes of Stones would really develop, yet we have continued to be rubbish defensively.

We won't get near it, so it's going to be a bad season. I'd be amazed if we got 50.

It's two poor seasons, barring a miracle, and at this point, it's one and a half of truly terrible performance.

Really no need for the petty insults at the end there either - I'm trying to understand your position, and simply can't, so asking questions.

It's confusing to me that you'd even be happy with, say, 59 points at this point, given you have in the past stated you didn't believe there was any value in points late in a season once it was already dead.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...ing-champions-league.35465/page-2#post-828218

But that said, that was your opinion on Moyes. With Martinez, your views vary wildly, and I suspect that's because you have made a standpoint, and nothing is going to change your view on it.
Leave out the kopite talk please, even tongue in cheek.
Dave may be a pain in the arse, but he's a Royal Blue pain in the arse.
Thanks mate.

Twas ever thus.

The irrefutable bottom line here is that those who oppose the manager dont register. Not at all. This is what I've maintained for an hour or more on this thread, and it hasn't been seriously challenged...and neither can it be.

We have a manager who needs to tighten up his defence. Correct. But we have a manager that will be given the time to do that and see his present contract out - at least.

I suggest that anyone who doesn't recognise that clear fact - or who cant handle it - find something else to campaign on.

You don't know that though, once this lot is gone and who ever the new owners are they might actually have an ounce of desire and ambition in them and if they do he'll be gone in a flash.

Oh come off it. At the start of this season the top 4 was the collective aim and ambition of the club, the manager, the players, the staff, club linked pundits and the local media, along most of the fan base.
Martinez has really molded our possible front 6, bringing in Lukaku, Deulofeu, Kone, McCarthy, Barry, Cleverley, Besic and bringing along Barkley. We have scored goals fairly consistently and at times looked breathtaking. However, football isn't only about attack.
His only big change at the back has been to bring in Mori, and that being 2 years after he first joined. He has given some of our youngsters a go and given Stones lots of match time (and he is currently the one cocking up tbh), but the old Moyes guard are still our back 5. Howard, Coleman, Baines and Jagielka - Martinez needs to work out how he can improve them as a unit, or start bringing in serious replacements.
We've been conceding goals at a really poor rate for 18 months now. In the summer we thought that Europe had a big impact last season and the likes of Stones would really develop, yet we have continued to be rubbish defensively.
I fully agree. That has to be his objective now.

On CL places: this season was way too soon to be seriously targeting that. People see Leicester in their current position and think that we have better individuals and should be there...well so should others but they aren't.

Leicester's campaign thus far is a complete freak, but wont last.

Twas ever thus.

agree this does get tedious, have an opinion on it by all means...but saying he 'must be sacked now' or 'surely the board will sack him' when that wont happen is a bit weird/pointless

i'd like us to sign messi,ronaldo and myself...but saying it every 5 minutes wont make it so

You don't know that though, once this lot is gone and who ever the new owners are they might actually have an ounce of desire and ambition in them and if they do he'll be gone in a flash.
Would he though?

New owners leveraging money on a club that needs to be in this division...the manager in charge has/will have a top five finish plus two in the midtable range.

If it were me I'd be thinking: 'he'll do for now'.

That's the way these people think. They wouldn't do anything ever that threatened their cash cow - the anchor for their project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back