Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would he though?

New owners leveraging money on a club that needs to be in this division...the manager in charge has/will have a top five finish plus two in the midtable range.

If it were me I'd be thinking: 'he'll do for now'.

That's the way these people think. They wouldn't do anything ever that threatened their cash cow - the anchor for their project.
So mid table range is now the bottom half

You realise that out of the 11 sides above us in the league, only the Arsenal manager has been in his current job longer than Martinez. Mark Hughes and Pellegrini have been in their jobs pretty much the same.

In fact such is the Premier League Martinez is possibly one of the longest serving managers. He had a better base than most to build from and hasn't been forced to sell any of his players either. There are no signs that he is taking us forward. This give a manager time thing and he'll come good is put about by managers because they don't want to get sacked. The reality is that it's talent and circumstance that make them come good.
6 years in the prem, long time learning the ropes, i have been hoping he will learn and change its not happening that's just him and that hasn't been good enough anyway you dress it

In his first season we had the 3rd best defence and the 6th best attack in terms of goals conceded and scored in the league.
His second we had the 10th best defence and the 9th best attack.
His third, so far we have the 15th best defence and the 4th best attack.

Without Lukaku, we'd be relegation fodder this season

That's honestly a little bit terrifying

Context. Everton are a club wehre longevity is encouraged. In that respect he's been here a short period of time.

Forget the yo yo clubs.

But your point was that he hasnt been here long enough to compete at the top end of the table. When in fact others are doing that from a much starting point.

I honestly think @davek would explode if that happened

To be honest, I wouldn't want Moyes back either

Leave the memories alone

Agree there. I mentioned in another thread that if Roberto were to be sacked, 100% nailed on we would get Moyes back. Hed be desperate to return and Kenwright would be desperate to have him back.

Twas ever thus.

The irrefutable bottom line here is that those who oppose the manager dont register. Not at all. This is what I've maintained for an hour or more on this thread, and it hasn't been seriously challenged...and neither can it be.

I do feel genuinely sorry for people who dont or wont grasp that.

We have a manager who needs to tighten up his defence. Correct. But we have a manager that will be given the time to do that and see his present contract out - at least.

I suggest that anyone who doesn't recognise that clear fact - or who cant handle it - find something else to campaign on.

Has he EVER done that anywhere he's managed Dave? Ever?

I doubt very much you could get a bet for beyond this season, never mind the rest of his contract ! Oh, and Paddy Power are the bookies of choice.

His contract runs through to 2019. You think he'll still be here till then or beyond, I disagree.

The reality is his job is safe to at least the end of this season, and probably most of next season too. But beyond that it's more likely than not that he won't make it through to June 2019.
In which period of time just about anything - good or bad - can happen. The season in front of them is what nearly all managers in this league have as a certainty. Everton though dont go that route. It is a bit of an anomaly in that respect. If there's nothing going spectacularly wrong that threatens the club's status then it'll roll on regardless. A change of ownership notwithstanding, that has to make Martinez odds on to see his contract out.

If the only thing football has going for it is bad refeering calls, then we might as well stop wathcing it.

You don't think controversy adds to the whole spectacle of it.

On the purely human face of it what would Jamie redknapp do if they get every decision right? instead of giving us his insightful thoughts for the 3 halftime minutes that aren't ads he'd have to be sitting at home with Louise.

I didn't want him from day one. In his first season the team still had moyes organization and steel and he added a bit of flare so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But the alarm bells really started to ring when that lot across the park hammered us at their place 5_0 and it could have been 8 that night. He played stones at right back and we where a shambles. From then on its gone from bad to worse. Again last season I gave him the benefit of the doubt cause the players had all been to the world cup and we had the Europa league to deal with. This season he has no excuses, player for player one of the top teams in the league almost every one of them internationals one of the most prolific goal scorers in Europe and look where we are. I rest my case.OUT!

Attack is getting stronger; defence is weaker.

Needs to be sorted.

But he's not concerned with the defence. He has gone on record saying he's not bothered about conceding. Don't hold your breath if your expecting him to sort it.

To me the man is Kevin Keegan Mk2. Believes that trying to outscore the opposition will win you more games than not.

Bobby has actually said something in a presser that I agree with

"My question is do we need technology or should we expect the linesman and the referee to get these calls right? For me that action is so clear. I would expect international or Premier League linesmen to get that call right."

I think too much tech will take the controversy out of football and what will we fight about then

Too much technology allows for a fairer more level playing field. That is not in the interest of any of the game's power players. The betting syndicates don't want it, the big broadcasters don't want it, the premier league doesn't want it, UEFA don't want it, the big clubs don't want it, and of course the referees don't want it.

The whole house of cards is held together by lots of people watching a certain few teams win most of the time domestically and then play each other in Europe. If one of these teams fail or another team upsets the apple cart a stone ripples on the cash millpond. They obviously don't want that to happen and refereeing 'inconsistencies' is one vehicle in which they can dictate the outcomes they want. Why would they want to get rid of this? Every other sport has implemented it to widespread benefit but football is simply not interested in there being a level playing field and unpredictable competition. They like the same cash cows pummelling the same cannon fodder. They love the premier league because it gives the illusion of 'anyone can beat anyone' yet all the teams tend to end up in the same places most seasons. I wonder why anyone outside of Real and Barca fans even watch la Liga, one if the most unfair 'competitions' in sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back