Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Come on cultists
beach-surrender.jpg

First point, we are not skint and probably have as much cash to spend as Leicester and West ham. Second point, you say we need to snatch a trophy yet you criticise Leicester for snatching a far bigger prize. Don't you think its time you held your hands up and admitted you backed the wrong horse

Yeh but it's not like Leicester have been building towards this.

It's a complete flash-in the pan, a one off. They've played brilliantly and I enjoy watching them but it will probably never happen again for another 15 years (as in a small team, not as rich, somehow managing to go for a serious title challenge).

West Ham, less of a flash-in the pan, but a lot is down to paying huge wages because they have that new stadium coming in and of course have that draw of London. They have recruited well though and fair play to them.

Spurs, have at least been building towards something over the past 24 months and are now seeing the fruits of that labour due to the bad form of United, City and Chelsea.

What we have done this season is fail to take advantage of that situation as the teams above have done.

Had a few things gone differently (some not in RM's control, but lately quite a few of it has been), then we'd be much better off.

We're not. And our home form has been nothing short of abysmal.

His saving grace is the cup runs (I stress again, how can they be worthless. It sure won't be worthless for me when I make my first ever trip to Wembley in a few weeks), and our good away form.

What good have they done us this season? Lets say start of next season someone offers you 10th in the league and 2 semi finals, or get knocked out of both cups and finish 5th? What do you pick?

What good?

The fact that we've reached two semi-finals in the same season - something that hasn't been achieved in how long? I've been a fan for the past 14 years, and it definitely never happened in that time?

The fact that a Wembley visit is now back on after four years without.

And, the fact that most of our good performances have come in the cups and we've shown what we are actually capable of (City H, Chelsea H as two examples) - including a goal of the season contender.

It's cool. This is a forum so opinions are in a wide range. I rate the league form and winning rate much higher than cup runs. 38 matches that is consistency.

We are lucky to draw all these lesser lower league teams and PL teams like Norwich this season in these 2 cup runs. Of course Citch was the problem they are processed with better players.

I have never said it excuses the league form, it doesn't.

Even so, the league (away) form is very good.

Our home form is letting us down and it's very poor that the management and players haven't been able to address that and that is why we find ourselves in the position we are in currently.

And again, how did Citeh, with their £500mil squad, beat us in the end?

Oh yeh, with a goal that clearly should never have stood...

They're far from worthless, cup runs. They are what they are and they provide the team with an opportunity to express themselves with a better chance of silverware.

Give me a trophy over 5th place any day - even though we should realistically be competing for both.

If we get knocked out in the semi-final, and RM/the team have shown no signs of improvement in the last few games of the season, then I'll probably want Martinez gone.

As it is I'm still firmly on the fence.

I have never said it excuses the league form, it doesn't.

Even so, the league (away) form is very good.

Our home form is letting us down and it's very poor that the management and players haven't been able to address that and that is why we find ourselves in the position we are in currently.

And again, how did Citeh, with their £500mil squad, beat us in the end?

Oh yeh, with a goal that clearly should never have stood...

They're far from worthless, cup runs. They are what they are and they provide the team with an opportunity to express themselves with a better chance of silverware.

Give me a trophy over 5th place any day - even though we should realistically be competing for both.

If we get knocked out in the semi-final, and RM/the team have shown no signs of improvement in the last few games of the season, then I'll probably want Martinez gone.

As it is I'm still firmly on the fence.

Win the cup, boot BT off the fence, sack Martinez and get a world class manager in. Everyone's a winner ;)

Win the cup, boot BT off the fence, sack Martinez and get a world class manager in. Everyone's a winner ;)

Haha.

If we win the cup mate, barring we slip no lower in the league than where we are now and at least win some games in the run-in, then he gets a period of grace mate, IMO.

I do trust him with whatever money we'll have available. Apart from a few glaring mistakes - that relatively speaking cost very little (Atsu, McGeady, Kone, Alcaraz), then his overall transfer record is very good. Jury is of course still out on Niasse, so we'll see on him when he gets more game time.

Then for me he gets games at the start of next season (10/12) to show improvements in the areas that we desperately need (so defence, pressing high up consistently etc). If he does that then I'm happy for him to stay.

But if not he goes, and we have a manager lined up who believes in a similar style (so won't be unhappy with the players brought in or the system) but has that defensive solidity to go with it.

Haha.

If we win the cup mate, barring we slip no lower in the league than where we are now and at least win some games in the run-in, then he gets a period of grace mate, IMO.

I do trust him with whatever money we'll have available. Apart from a few glaring mistakes - that relatively speaking cost very little (Atsu, McGeady, Kone, Alcaraz), then his overall transfer record is very good. Jury is of course still out on Niasse, so we'll see on him when he gets more game time.

Then for me he gets games at the start of next season (10/12) to show improvements in the areas that we desperately need (so defence, pressing high up consistently etc). If he does that then I'm happy for him to stay.

But if not he goes, and we have a manager lined up who believes in a similar style (so won't be unhappy with the players brought in or the system) but has that defensive solidity to go with it.

I've emailed the club 21 times mate to confirm that I don't think Martinez is suitable for the job and I'm more than willing to step in on an interim basis.

No reply as yet but I will keep you posted.

I'm done with him tbh mate but I want us to win the FA Cup just like you, that's his lifeline I guess to an extended stay so if it meant us winning the cup sure I would give him 10 games next season. I fear for us though Toff regarding pre season with the Euros around the corner and the lack of preparation he may put into it.

The league is a shambles but the cup has kept us all still dreaming as we head into April.

Anyway I'm seeing moaning the most here who probably wanted the likes of Owen Coyle, Neil Lennon and Harry Redknapp when Moyes left.

Hope Moshiri doesn't listen to the fans like Kenwright promised to when replacing Moyes. Not that he listened much like.

Some people make bad calls I guess. I seem to remember one poster who said he preferred Jelavic to Lukaku! What a balloon he turned out!

No reason, I just like doing things like that.
Fair enough fella
What good?

The fact that we've reached two semi-finals in the same season - something that hasn't been achieved in how long? I've been a fan for the past 14 years, and it definitely never happened in that time?

The fact that a Wembley visit is now back on after four years without.

And, the fact that most of our good performances have come in the cups and we've shown what we are actually capable of (City H, Chelsea H as two examples) - including a goal of the season contender.
But if we don't win it we will look back at this season as a catastrophic failure. We got to the semis in both cup, no financial benefits, we had a good day at Wembley which came crashing down and the whole club is dejected from it. Our cup form has had no impact on our league form at all, we haven't took momentum out of them games and carried it on, that's on Martinez, obviously a cup manager. We may get to see what we are capable of but if its for a one off game what's the difference, the yardstick is the league, if we win the cup then we would all be delirious but finishing in the bottom half of the league is awful, we go out of both semis no ones going to be that bothered, we finish bottom half again then a hell of a lot more pressure builds on the manager from the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back