Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe but there's plenty of other feasible explanations too. The most obvious one was a comedown from the quarter final. Sometimes though it only takes three or four key players and you look a totally different side.

Then thats another stick, and why people calling him a cup manager maybe right - and he cant gather the consistency to manage a full prem season.

EFC team VS chelsea... Robles, Coleman, Funes Mori, Jagielka (c), Baines, Cleverley, Barry, Lennon, McCarthy, Barkley, Lukaku

EFC Team VS Arsenal... Robles , Coleman , Jagielka , Funes Mori , Baines McCarthy , Besic, Lennon, Barkley , Cleverley , Lukaku

There isn't a difference of 3 or 4 different players in there. We lost Barry who is obviously key to the way we play, but besides that...

not really, he has an opinion that differs to nearly the other 70% ....
he will be left eating humble pie soon enough
And how determined are some people for that to happen. I'm hoping there are still ninety odd per cent of blues who hope everything comes good whether it's Martinez or not. It should be hundred per cent and worries me it isn't

I have never said Martinez is "rubbish", I expressed doubts a year ago and now express the firm belief he does not possess all the skills necessary to sustain a top 4 challenge.
I even specified the areas I believe him to be weak in, which I will gladly repeat:
"Specifically, he lacks the ability to instil belief in his players, he lacks tactical awareness and the ability to change the course of a game through change of tactics or personnel and thirdly he lacks the ability to organise a team defensively, and improve individual defenders."

I think he's an honourable man, from what I know inside the club he's dedicated and committed - he has many positive attributes, but he is not the man, in my opinion, to take us to the top table of English football let alone European football, which is where our ambitions should lay.
Those specifics can all be countered in his career both here and elsewhere with examples of the complete opposite.

"he lacks the ability to instil belief in his players" - like when he inspired a team of no hopers in Wales to play out of their skins and climb the leagues; or a team of journeymen at Wigan to beat the most expensively assembled squad in English football history on the greatest stage there is in our game; or inspiring Everton players petrified to take more than two touches of the ball to have faith in themselves and play football?

"he lacks tactical awareness and the ability to change the course of a game through change of tactics or personnel" - well, I lost count of the number of times he was actially lauded for that very flexibility in his first season here...but, of course, that doesn't count now because...well, it just doesn't.

"he lacks the ability to organise a team defensively, and improve individual defenders." - 39 goals shipped in season one slightly contradicts that view; and 'he's failed to improve defenders', not a view that his contemporaries share otherwise John Stones wouldn't have gone quick smart through the ranks to become an England international, and he's added something to Jagielka's game that almost certainly has prolonged his international career.

The skill set argument can be used against just about any manager - something reached for here to justify an impatience with backing a manager contracted until 2019

Then thats another stick, and why people calling him a cup manager maybe right - and he cant gather the consistency to manage a full prem season.

EFC team VS chelsea... Robles, Coleman, Funes Mori, Jagielka (c), Baines, Cleverley, Barry, Lennon, McCarthy, Barkley, Lukaku

EFC Team VS Arsenal... Robles , Coleman , Jagielka , Funes Mori , Baines McCarthy , Besic, Lennon, Barkley , Cleverley , Lukaku

There isn't a difference of 3 or 4 different players in there. We lost Barry who is obviously key to the way we play, but besides that...
By not playing I meant not putting in their usual performance. Apologies.
But I don't think we're any more inconsistent in terms of performance than any other side. Just not getting results.

Those specifics can all be countered in his career both here and elsewhere with examples of the complete opposite.

"he lacks the ability to instil belief in his players" - like when he inspired a team of no hopers in Wales to play out of their skins and climb the leagues; or a team of journeymen at Wigan to beat the most expensively assembled squad in English football history on the greatest stage there is in our game; or inspiring Everton players petrified to take more than two touches of the ball to have faith in themselves and play football?

"he lacks tactical awareness and the ability to change the course of a game through change of tactics or personnel" - well, I lost count of the number of times he was actially lauded for that very flexibility in his first season here...but, of course, that doesn't count now because...well, it just doesn't.

"he lacks the ability to organise a team defensively, and improve individual defenders." - 39 goals shipped in season one slightly contradicts that view; and 'he's failed to improve defenders', not a view that his contemporaries share otherwise John Stones wouldn't have gone quick smart through the ranks to become an England international, and he's added something to Jagielka's game that almost certainly has prolonged his international career.

The skill set argument can be used against just about any manager - something reached for here to justify an impatience with backing a manager contracted until 2019
All of your arguments are based on Season 1.

By the same logic we can give an example of how Moyes was a fantastic manager that year he got us 4th and ignore everything else then.

The problem for me with that is that we're not even competing for the "more open" top 4/5 spots, and we don't even look able to most the time.

See the examples you gave - all of those teams (and Stoke) are now pushing and competing for said top spots, while we're the #entertainers sitting below 10th again. What does that say about us, considering everyone and their nan knows we have better players than most those teams?

We've had a poor season, no mistake. Personally, I've seen enough to suggest that we're close to something good, my only fear is that players will start blaming Martinez solely for their own lapses and not take the collective responsibility. Martinez doesn't get off Scot-free here either, some of his subs have been questionable and he needs to be a little more proactive. But once we bridge that disparity between what has been mostly 70 minutes of dominance and 20 minutes of barely believable vulnerability, I think we have something special. We need to bin Rom off early in the summer too and bring in a striker who fits our system too, I think. It's a massive call, given how this season shaped up, but Martinez has to make it

So you don't think in this open league environment we should be competing?

And since when is it a god-given fact that the time given to a manager is 5 years, or did you just make that up?
The only part of this season we dont compete in is at home in the league. All correspondence should be sent to the jellyfish players on that score for not standing up and taking responsibility to ram the criticism they get there down the throats of those issuing it.

..or any other managers in the PL. Why isolate Martinez?
The rest of the underperformers have either been shown the door already, or will be given a guided tour as soon as the final whistle blows on this season.

I know you're a fervent Kenwright supporter now, so I expect your view on this is something like consequences being for entitled brat clubs.

Hmmmmm difference now is Moshiri is at the helm.... just a matter of time ..
Let him back the manager then. That's why he's been brought in, to provide the resources ANY manager here needs to get to the major prizes.

We've had a poor season, no mistake. Personally, I've seen enough to suggest that we're close to something good, my only fear is that players will start blaming Martinez solely for their own lapses and not take the collective responsibility. Martinez doesn't get off Scot-free here either, some of his subs have been questionable and he needs to be a little more proactive. But once we bridge that disparity between what has been mostly 70 minutes of dominance and 20 minutes of barely believable vulnerability, I think we have something special. We need to bin Rom off early in the summer too and bring in a striker who fits our system too, I think. It's a massive call, given how this season shaped up, but Martinez has to make it
Definite wind up detected at the end of your post there.

The striker who doesn't fit our system is the league's top scorer when we're finishing below 10th, alright.

As for the rest - there are good signs every so often, but the frustration and defensive vulnerabilities are more prevalent than that, and there's no sign of them ever changing, and if anything they're getting worse as games go on. Yeah, he's done exceptionally well in about 7 games this season (6 probably in the cups), but the rest has been disappointing. And this is in a season where we've had no Europa to use as an excuse, and have done worse than last season when we did.

If he shows in SOME WAY that he will change the obvious lack of defensive approach - sure, go on lad, stay, be great, you are a great guy. But he's done the exact opposite for 2 years.

If we were any other established Premier League team that has this squad, he would have been sacked - rightly or wrongly.

You just know that Everton are one of very few (if not the only) club that will put up with it.

Yep, Man City have sacked their manager for the flavour of the month, Man United will follow suit, Arsenal might get rid of theirs, Chelsea sacked their league winning manager. As this league gets more competitive, the turnover of managers is going to go into overdrive, I'm not sure I want to be a part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back