Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rest of the underperformers have either been shown the door already, or will be given a guided tour as soon as the final whistle blows on this season.

I know you're a fervent Kenwright supporter now, so I expect your view on this is something like consequences being for entitled brat clubs.
Who are they?

And how determined are some people for that to happen. I'm hoping there are still ninety odd per cent of blues who hope everything comes good whether it's Martinez or not. It should be hundred per cent and worries me it isn't

I agree with you. I want everything to come good, I have wanted that for 2 seasons.
My opinion is that Martinez is not the man to make things come good. He is hanging by a thread in my opinion due to a semi final in the fa cup.

I think we would have a better chance of success without him. Saturday was dreadful, it was like watching Chelsea with the last few games under Mourinho, or United with the last few games under Moyes. This team knows it can do better and is held back by Martinez philosophy and waffle.

Imagine how Lukaku feels when he works his nuts off scores 2 goals and we lose by 3, because Martinez simply does not believe in a strong defence
Our defence is shocking, teams know how to set up against us and Martinez does not have a clue. I would go as far to say he has lost the players, they dont want to play his style anymore. Martinez is becoming embarrassing with his comments and the stench of the inevitable is all around him.

I hope we win our next 7 games, I hope we win the derby more than the cup. However I am a realist and know this manager cant motivate this team to perform

I will happily eat humble pie, it will taste nice, however I know it is Dave who will have humble pie left on his chin

Five seasons, won't take him that long to get us relegated.

You don't think things have changed with Moshiri? So in other words you think there was no point in selling shares to him and we should of stayed as we were?

Of course things have changed, not just because of the sale but the TV money as well, the Premier League next season will be as far away from 3 or 4 years ago as what we are now from the first division days, and having to wait for highlights on midweak sports special after Ice Skating from Northampton and the speedway.
Why, what's he done? Did I miss it?

Definite wind up detected at the end of your post there.

The striker who doesn't fit our system is the league's top scorer when we're finishing below 10th, alright.

As for the rest - there are good signs every so often, but the frustration and defensive vulnerabilities are more prevalent than that, and there's no sign of them ever changing, and if anything they're getting worse as games go on. Yeah, he's done exceptionally well in about 7 games this season (6 probably in the cups), but the rest has been disappointing. And this is in a season where we've had no Europa to use as an excuse, and have done worse than last season when we did.

If he shows in SOME WAY that he will change the obvious lack of defensive approach - sure, go on lad, stay, be great, you are a great guy. But he's done the exact opposite for 2 years.

No wind up ser, I've stated my case at length and I believe Lukaku's personal glory this season has come at the expense of our team.

Let him back the manager then. That's why he's been brought in, to provide the resources ANY manager here needs to get to the major prizes.

Its a big risk though, although I do think players initially like him. Lukaku man hugs him, I hope Niasse becomes a god! I have said earlier that the ideal situation would be Martinez moving sideways as he seems to have an eye for a player, it really is a shame he steadfastly sticks to haveing the defence so high up, we get really punished and he does not seem to learn
By the way beating the kopites on their home turf is hugely more important than a tin cup ! (sorry for stating the obvious)

Ambition needs to come from above, which hopefully moshri brings
Other prem teams have sacked managers to try and take them to the next level i.e. southampton with adkins

Players look like they dont want to play for him and his time is up!

No wind up ser, I've stated my case at length and I believe Lukaku's personal glory this season has come at the expense of our team.
Fair enough.

I've said how much I hate the "what if" statements as they're mostly things that have already happened/have no chance of happening, but - had it not been for Lukaku's great goal return and, in some cases, dragging the team on his own - we'd be a lot worse off. And I know, I'm aware, you will (rightly) say "but that would've opened up a chance for someone else to perform" and so on, and you're right. But even if so - that doesn't matter if we've got no defence, which has been the underlying issue for the last 2 years (and was still in his first year where we rode our luck A LOT, and Moyes' defence was still with us).

I mean the first goal against Chelsea pretty much tells the story of this season as far as Lukaku goes.

We've had a poor season, no mistake. Personally, I've seen enough to suggest that we're close to something good, my only fear is that players will start blaming Martinez solely for their own lapses and not take the collective responsibility. Martinez doesn't get off Scot-free here either, some of his subs have been questionable and he needs to be a little more proactive. But once we bridge that disparity between what has been mostly 70 minutes of dominance and 20 minutes of barely believable vulnerability, I think we have something special. We need to bin Rom off early in the summer too and bring in a striker who fits our system too, I think. It's a massive call, given how this season shaped up, but Martinez has to make it
There isn't really a place for even 10 minutes of barely believable vulnerability these days. That's why we are in the bottom half. Not good enough. He's had three years to build solid foundations - and failed.

We've had a poor season, no mistake. Personally, I've seen enough to suggest that we're close to something good, my only fear is that players will start blaming Martinez solely for their own lapses and not take the collective responsibility. Martinez doesn't get off Scot-free here either, some of his subs have been questionable and he needs to be a little more proactive. But once we bridge that disparity between what has been mostly 70 minutes of dominance and 20 minutes of barely believable vulnerability, I think we have something special. We need to bin Rom off early in the summer too and bring in a striker who fits our system too, I think. It's a massive call, given how this season shaped up, but Martinez has to make it
There isn't really a place for even 10 minutes of barely believable vulnerability these days. That's why we are in the bottom half. Not good enough. He's had three years to build solid foundations - and failed.

I agree with you. I want everything to come good, I have wanted that for 2 seasons.
My opinion is that Martinez is not the man to make things come good. He is hanging by a thread in my opinion due to a semi final in the fa cup.

I think we would have a better chance of success without him. Saturday was dreadful, it was like watching Chelsea with the last few games under Mourinho, or United with the last few games under Moyes. This team knows it can do better and is held back by Martinez philosophy and waffle.

Imagine how Lukaku feels when he works his nuts off scores 2 goals and we lose by 3, because Martinez simply does not believe in a strong defence
Our defence is shocking, teams know how to set up against us and Martinez does not have a clue. I would go as far to say he has lost the players, they dont want to play his style anymore. Martinez is becoming embarrassing with his comments and the stench of the inevitable is all around him.

I hope we win our next 7 games, I hope we win the derby more than the cup. However I am a realist and know this manager cant motivate this team to perform

I will happily eat humble pie, it will taste nice, however I know it is Dave who will have humble pie left on his chin
Fair enough. But personally I think the reason Saturday was so shocking is that it's not been typical. Performances like that week in, week out, even if we were scraping out enough results against the odds to get us slightly higher in the league, would have me a lot more worried.
I've seen some absolute class on the pitch for huge chunks of games, our goal difference reflects that. I've seen young players giving us a glimpse of a great future. I've seen players improving who had looked stagnant under other managers.
Obviously none of this wins you anything but at the moment it's a case of bare results against perceived potential. If we were fighting relegation and had gone tamely out of every cup maybe the potential would mean less. As it is I think we can definitely put more time into the potential. It's been twenty years not just trophyless but until now devoid of obvious quality too. Really think we are being impatient at the moment in this respect at least.

Who are they?
Brendan Rodgers (a PL title winner, going by your metric), Manuel Pellegrini (title winner), Jose Mourinho (everything winner), Louis van Gaal (serial winner), Steve McClaren, [Poor language removed] Advocaat, Tim Sherwood (a cup finalist, my god!) and Garry Monk (record points winner).

I suppose you could even go as far back as Nigel Pearson, but then that would sort of ruin the agenda against Leicester by suggesting that they're good by design.

In fact, you only have to look at how poor old Moyesy has fared to realise how the Everton model is flawed. He's had to learn the hard way that outside of Bill's world of make believe, football is a mean and nasty place, where there are consequences to be suffered if it turns out you're nothing more than an exotic Ian Hollaway or Tony Mowbray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back