Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How can people be happy with the guy? He's dragged us into midtable and with it having the pee taken out of us from clubs like West Ham and Stoke, even more so them pipping us to players who would have chosen us 9 times out of 10 in years gone buy.

Get rid before mediocrity becomes the norm and we become another Villa.

There's a difference between using the term "plotters", which has become a rather hilarious staple of this forum, and calling Martinez a fraud and all the other various names aimed in his direction, often with genuine vitriol.
There is but you're forgetting that Davek's also called some Evertonians divvies and knob-heads in this thread!

...don't necessarily agree with the final para about needing 'most of all some fire and a booming voice'. What we need most is a tactically astute manager who has buy-in from the players and makes wins happen. You don't need to be in your face to deliver you just have to be good at what you do.

They actually started playing extremely well this time last year under Pearson though. They won 7 of their last 9 or something stupid.

Ranieri came in, and yes, added that extra bit of guile but - overall - kind of just let the team carry on playing how they were.

So who knows...
They won 7, drew 1 and lost 1 of the last 9. The one they lost was to Chelsea. They showed a level of consistency that has eluded Martinez for 2 years. So from that point of view I think we are miles off making a large jump up the league next season.

What's not to like about a piece like that? It was constructive and rolled out a critique.

I'd just counter it with a few points: the missing player Brownie spends much of his time alluding to there: isn't blindingly obvious that he's missed out the tracking of Yarmolenko in that commentary? It's not like Martinez has stood there scratching his bollocks wondering whether to play Cleverley rather then Kone. He sees the type of quicksilver presence we require. Also left out from the critique on that score was Tarashaj's purchase - a player who can drift in from wide and open up in the final third: a creative force who can play between the lines. It's not like the demise of Pienaar has been allowed to take place without thought to his succession.

Second point: style of play. I think the style of play is right in front of your eyes - hiding in plain sight: it's a counter attacking game. We play a counter attacking style for the bulk of the time and only get on the ball for long spells through necessity when the turgid teams roll up at Goodison (at which point we need that quicksilver player to make an impact and help get our noses in front and then we have a team forced to come out). I dont understand how there can be any confusion over that.

Third point: direction and leadership. It's a fair enough point because the undulations in results have been going on too long. But the performances for the vast amount of the season have been very good and worthy of much more than we've got back in terms of points. It's way more consistent than last season. The Arsenal game was mentioned to proffer a general view that we've lost direction, but that was atypical of the season as a whole. Yes, leadership is lacking...but lacking within the team. It's a massive concern that these players have no heart, no determination to roll their sleeves up in adversity. That requires the expulsion of some players and the bringing in of players with those qualities.

What's not to like about a piece like that? It was constructive and rolled out a critique.

I'd just counter it with a few points: the missing player Brownie spends much of his time alluding to there: isn't blindingly obvious that he's missed out the tracking of Yarmolenko in that commentary? It's not like Martinez has stood there scratching his bollocks wondering whether to play Cleverley rather then Kone. He sees the type of quicksilver presence we require. Also left out from the critique on that score was Tarashaj's purchase - a player who can drift in from wide and open up in the final third: a creative force who can play between the lines. It's not like the demise of Pienaar has been allowed to take place without thought to his succession.

Second point: style of play. I think the style of play is right in front of your eyes - hiding in plain sight: it's a counter attacking game. We play a counter attacking style for the bulk of the time and only get on the ball for long spells through necessity when the turgid teams roll up at Goodison (at which point we need that quicksilver player to make an impact and help get our noses in front and then we have a team forced to come out). I dont understand how there can be any confusion over that.

Third point: direction and leadership. It's a fair enough point because the undulations in results have been going on too long. But the performances for the vast amount of the season have been very good and worthy of much more than we've got back in terms of points. It's way more consistent than last season. The Arsenal game was mentioned to proffer a general view that we've lost direction, but that was atypical of the season as a whole. Yes, leadership is lacking...but lacking within the team. It's a massive concern that these players have no heart, no determination to roll their sleeves up in adversity. That requires the expulsion of some players and the bringing in of players with those qualities.

image.webp

Bombs away !

Do you think it's to the detriment of these clubs that they hold their managers accountable to certain standards?

What was the purpose of laying out £28m on a centre forward, if not to improve the performance of the team?

And what standards do you think an Everton manager has to maintain in order not to be dismissed? You have the floor. Enlighten me.

The shadow of Moyes was beginning to darken the Giants land. Some could not understand why he would ever return.

He had left for richer pastures to a field that was supposedly full of dreams, but instead it had become his nightmare. The knight Sir Alex had long ruled this land full of annoying creatures (known as Busby’s babes) for a long long time & he had collected vast amounts of silver & even a golden boot.

Moyes could never fill his shoes even though they spoke with the same strange accent.

Bobby of the brown shoes was puzzled. He thought everybody loved him with his ticky tacky ways & his Catalan sun tan. However the natives of Goodison had become restless. Why did we only win the battles in other lands yet lost some many on home soil. It was suggested that it maybe the fault of the worshippers of the Giant Everton as they did not chant loud & shouted at those who did not try or just were no good at what they do or could it be they just wanted to win for once.

Farhad Moshri was confused. He had been told that Bobby was the greatest & would take us to a place called Europe yet, apart from a win over a relatively new giant called Chelsea he was beginning to think he may have been lied to by his friend.

But who can he bring to make the Evertonians happy he could not listen to his friend Kenwright as he could no longer believe him.

So he cast away the shadow of Moyes no more to darken our land, but what could he do with Bobby as he was still promising some silver from a place called Wembley.

“You have until May” he told him “unless you lose a certain battle in April .If we don’t see any silver you will have to go”

“OK “said Bobby of the Brown shoes “Just you wait Farhad. I will bring you silver & take you to Europe as I promised , wait & see It will be phenomenal !!!!”
Hahahahaha

No...

So you haven't even noticed he has bought into Everton? Shows how observant you are, no wonder you haven't noticed how awful we are!!
...I noticed he'd bought shares. Yeah. So what? My question was 'what has he done?'. What has he done to back this manager to justify him determining his career ends at Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back