Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're talking about a team that's smashed in 73 goals so far this season (and equally in both 'halves' of the season). Not a feature I'd associate with a team wracked by self doubt.

If this team didn't have belief they'd have crumbled against a Chelsea team unbeaten domestically for umpteen games and desperate to keep their season up and running.

It's staring you in the face all season. The performances (if not the results) have been marked with greater energy and the tempo has picked up noticeably since last season. That's why we've scored buckets full.

Our biggest failure has been protecting what we have. That, is a huge failure. Of course it is. It's a stick to beat the manager with, no question. However, and here's the rub: we can do exactly that and against very good opposition too. We can adapt. Look at how we dug in against a very good Spurs team after drawing level; look at the City game in the LC when we were able to play, get ahead and then take the sting out of the game; look at Chelsea in the FA Cup when we doggedly hung in, were patient, and didn't twist after we got a winning hand.

I have to ask whether you see that and dont acknowledge that it's there.

Is it enough? No. But it cant be levelled at th manager it's not in his armoury. He needs to deploy it much more often...or maybe he does and the players are bottling it.

The amount of goals we conceded in the last two seasons have been lamentable, but by your own figures it shows i =t need not be that way under Martinez.

If you want a manager that 'consistently challenges for the top four places' then give him the cash to prove it can be him. He's had a reasonable budget here and no more than that. Would you think it fair to judge a future Arsenal or United manager as a success or failure after giving them a net spend of about £12M each season? I doubt it. You;d reasonably say that unless they were backed with a net spend approaching half what City spend then it's an uphill task to say the least.

As said on that ^^^ topic before: Martinez is being judged by a criteria never used on any previous manager of the club: get a CL spot or you're sacked. Sorry. I wont be endorsing that ridiculous high bar - unless Moshiri backs him substantially.

Quite a lot of comment there Dave, but I would like to ask a simple question. If CL qualification is too high a bar what exactly are we aiming for? Where is your bar set?

You may have a point, however I am still `hurting` and hurting badly from Martinez trying to outscore them
on their home turf last year .... i closed my eyes as the 4th went in ...... humbleing experience served up by el bobby that was
Last season we drew 1-1 there.

As said on that ^^^ topic before: Martinez is being judged by a criteria never used on any previous manager of the club: get a CL spot or you're sacked. Sorry. I wont be endorsing that ridiculous high bar - unless Moshiri backs him substantially.

That is a very fair point Dave. It is ridiculous to hang him out because we didnt get 4th, or wont anyrate.

For me, based on the evidence I have seen, it is that the 1st season, the ace one, was the anomally. Not the 2 since.

I would like nothing more than for us to finish the season really well, cup, obvs, regroup, and start again. But I have said that too many times now.

I quite enjoyed us winning 2-0.
We all enjoyed beating Chelsea and witnessing great goals from Lukaku. Could have been a very different story if that chance by De Costa had gone in, it was so close. But realistically we did not play Chelsea off the park, they came out more after our first goal and opened up.

We all enjoyed beating Chelsea and witnessing great goals from Lukaku. Could have been a very different story if that chance by De Costa had gone in, it was so close. But realistically we did not play Chelsea off the park, they came out more after our first goal and opened up.

Jesus wept...could have been. It didn't happen.

I thought all we cared about was results...not how we got them? Can't have it both ways Team Plotters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back