Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody knows which Everton will show up, the players know the system is flawed and they have no will to keep flogging a dead horse. They have made their feelings known and in order to keep our better players we MUST change manager. Hes had his chance and hes been found wanting, he has the tactical know how of a dead cactus, we get beat and he blames the fans, the ref, sometimes even the players, he always claims we should have done better and hes right, for this squad to be sitting in 12th is probably the biggest joke ive ever known.

He simply does not have it in him to manage a club at the highest level, hes a League One manager at best and the sooner we sack the utter fraud the better. Cos thats what he is, a fraud, who lies and cheats his way to 3million pounds a year, hes a clown masquadring as a football manager.

What, like Lukaku and Jagielka recently stating the manager gets stick but it's down to them to do it on the pitch but they aren't doing it?

Like that?

Leicester's counter: Drinkwater smacks it 40 yards to Vardy.

Our approach play is a bit more fluid and sophisticated than that.

Just to be clear, I'm in the "in" camp right now. If we finish at least 7th AND win the Cup, I think we'll finish top 4 next season especially with the 100 mil or so Bobby'll have in the summer.

But please stop criticizing Leicester. Or their style of play. They are top of the league now and we are 12th. Yes, give it two seasons and we'll be top of the league and they'll be in the Championship. But regardless, their style of play is working right now. Ours isn't.

I look forward to you naming these players then surely?
It's a loaded statement. Not giving him credit for Browning, Galloway, Stones, Del, Rom, etc for giving youth a chance is ridiculous of you.
Don't forget, Martinez has shown faith in Ross Barkley too.

Previously he'd been put in the temporary care of Neil Warnock.

You're talking about a team that's smashed in 73 goals so far this season (and equally in both 'halves' of the season). Not a feature I'd associate with a team wracked by self doubt.

If this team didn't have belief they'd have crumbled against a Chelsea team unbeaten domestically for umpteen games and desperate to keep their season up and running.

It's staring you in the face all season. The performances (if not the results) have been marked with greater energy and the tempo has picked up noticeably since last season. That's why we've scored buckets full.

Our biggest failure has been protecting what we have. That, is a huge failure. Of course it is. It's a stick to beat the manager with, no question. However, and here's the rub: we can do exactly that and against very good opposition too. We can adapt. Look at how we dug in against a very good Spurs team after drawing level; look at the City game in the LC when we were able to play, get ahead and then take the sting out of the game; look at Chelsea in the FA Cup when we doggedly hung in, were patient, and didn't twist after we got a winning hand.

I have to ask whether you see that and dont acknowledge that it's there.

Is it enough? No. But it cant be levelled at this manager it's not in his armoury. He needs to deploy it much more often...or maybe he does and the players are bottling it.

The amount of goals we conceded in the last two seasons have been lamentable, but by your own figures it shows it need not be that way under Martinez.

If you want a manager that 'consistently challenges for the top four places' then give him the cash to prove it can be him. He's had a reasonable budget here and no more than that. Would you think it fair to judge a future Arsenal or United manager as a success or failure after giving them a net spend of about £12M each season? I doubt it. You;d reasonably say that unless they were backed with a net spend approaching half what City spend then it's an uphill task to say the least.

As said on that ^^^ topic before: Martinez is being judged by a criteria never used on any previous manager of the club: get a CL spot or you're sacked. Sorry. I wont be endorsing that ridiculous high bar - unless Moshiri backs him substantially.

The captioned point.

Dave I would like to point out there are about 6/7 occasions that we crumbled in the league. Leading 2 goals and conceded 2/3 goals towards the end of matches. I actually think that is a sign of lacking self belief in themselves since they were afraiding of the inevitable thing to happen and thus lacked the confidence.

Just to be clear, I'm in the "in" camp right now. If we finish at least 7th AND win the Cup, I think we'll finish top 4 next season especially with the 100 mil or so Bobby'll have in the summer.

But please stop criticizing Leicester. Or their style of play. They are top of the league now and we are 12th. Yes, give it two seasons and we'll be top of the league and they'll be in the Championship. But regardless, their style of play is working right now. Ours isn't.

There is more chance of Leicester winning the Champions League next season than us finishing 7th this year.

Jesus wept...could have been. It didn't happen.

I thought all we cared about was results...not how we got them? Can't have it both ways Team Plotters.

I do that is why I would prefer a better league position than going on about cup runs. Just putting the Chelsea game into context in my post.

Quite a lot of comment there Dave, but I would like to ask a simple question. If CL qualification is too high a bar what exactly are we aiming for? Where is your bar set?
Cups this season. And if that Iranian tit backs his words up by sticking his hand in his pocket, then CL spots.

That is a very fair point Dave. It is ridiculous to hang him out because we didnt get 4th, or wont anyrate.

For me, based on the evidence I have seen, it is that the 1st season, the ace one, was the anomally. Not the 2 since.

I would like nothing more than for us to finish the season really well, cup, obvs, regroup, and start again. But I have said that too many times now.
Sorry Roydo I disagree with you on that opening line. It's not a fair point at all, that's what he wants to label everyone fed up with Martinez, as in setting high targets and anything but reaching them targets means we want rid. If we were 6th now, this conversation wouldn't be taking place. I believe we have a squad capable of challenging for top 4, but it's not an expectancy, It's an aim, an aim were missing out on by 8 places.

I think it's totally unfair and unrealistic to think anyone who wants rid, wants rid because we are not occupying a top 4 spot.

Just another aim at polarising the topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back