Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cups this season. And if that Iranian tit backs his words up by sticking his hand in his pocket, then CL spots.
Seriously, I suppose a lot of what's discussed in this thread and the hypothetical replacement thread, is dependant on Moshiri's thoughts and if he is willing to let Martinez have a wedge and take a punt.

The captioned point.

Dave I would like to point out there are about 6/7 occasions that we crumbled in the league. Leading 2 goals and conceded 2/3 goals towards the end of matches. I actually think that is a sign of lacking self belief in themselves since they were afraiding of the inevitable thing to happen and thus lacked the confidence.
I know. But I was addressing the charge that this manager didn't have the acumen for that type of victory. The evidence is there he has.

Sorry Roydo I disagree with you on that opening line. It's not a fair point at all, that's what he wants to label everyone fed up with Martinez, as in setting high targets and anything but reaching them targets means we want rid. If we were 6th now, this conversation wouldn't be taking place. I believe we have a squad capable of challenging for top 4, but it's not an expectancy, It's an aim, an aim were missing out on by 8 places.

I think it's totally unfair and unrealistic to think anyone who wants rid, wants rid because we are not occupying a top 4 spot.

Just another aim at polarising the topic.
Agree with this. Not many are banging on about CL or out.

60 points was my target. 1.6 points a game. At the moment we are at 1.3.
Cups or no cups 60 points is a fair target. 72/47 in 1st 2 seasons so the real Bobby being in between I would have taken.

Just feel a cup win will paper over the cracks.

It's the only reasonable way to view it mate. He's been here three seasons and has had us 5th with a record points haul and has us in two cup SFs (and hopefully further) and we're scoring goals like never before. I mean wtf are people expecting here from the net spend the feller has had? He;s bought one big fee signing (who has been mint) and the rest are small or reasonable fees. 'Challenging for CL football every season'. Dear me.

Why cant we expect it?

Have you forgotten our 5th place? We only needed to improve 1 place, also im not sure if your aware, but he got 72 points in that season, maybe you missed that? So why cant we repeat that? Honest question, why is it unreasonable to expect somebody to at least finish close to a points total they have already achieved?

Sorry Roydo I disagree with you on that opening line. It's not a fair point at all, that's what he wants to label everyone fed up with Martinez, as in setting high targets and anything but reaching them targets means we want rid. If we were 6th now, this conversation wouldn't be taking place. I believe we have a squad capable of challenging for top 4, but it's not an expectancy, It's an aim, an aim were missing out on by 8 places.

I think it's totally unfair and unrealistic to think anyone who wants rid, wants rid because we are not occupying a top 4 spot.

Just another aim at polarising the topic.
On the other hand, is it not logical to expect that, after finishing 5th and spending £28m on a striker, we should go onto 4th?

Picking out individual performances is non-sensical when the overall picture is so much grimmer.

For example und HK part 3 we beat Liverpool 2-0 and drew away 1-1 we came back against Arsenal (that years champions) from 2 down to draw 2-2 and we beat Chelsea 3-1, we nearly and probably should've been relegated that season with a terrible team.

09/10 we beat Chelsea and UTD in back to back home games both times coming from a goal behind.

These are just example how anyone can look at little individual thing to prove a point, the bigger issue is the bigger picture and if our picture could be titled it would be called 'Mediocre at best'

You're talking about a team that's smashed in 73 goals so far this season (and equally in both 'halves' of the season). Not a feature I'd associate with a team wracked by self doubt.

If this team didn't have belief they'd have crumbled against a Chelsea team unbeaten domestically for umpteen games and desperate to keep their season up and running. ?

I promised myself I wouldn't do this again but here goes!

Presumably you mean crumbled in the sense of 2-0 up at home against West Ham and crumbled with 15 minutes to go, after one of the most bizarre substitutions seen at Goodison for a while when Niasse came on for Aaaron Lennon, and yes I know Rom missed the penalty? Or do you mean crumbled as in - didn't even bother to turn up against Arsenal on Saturday, then just as an example - when 2-0 down get a free kick 15 yards into Arsenal's half and pass the ball backwards? Or is it crumbled as in the number of points dropped from winning positions this season, the number of which, apologies but, I've now lost count

Last edited:
Seriously, I suppose a lot of what's discussed in this thread and the hypothetical replacement thread, is dependant on Moshiri's thoughts and if he is willing to let Martinez have a wedge and take a punt.
Still down to BK, imo. I dont see a transference of team affairs to a feller with his feet barely under the table.

Why cant we expect it?

Have you forgotten our 5th place? We only needed to improve 1 place, also im not sure if your aware, but he got 72 points in that season, maybe you missed that? So why cant we repeat that? Honest question, why is it unreasonable to expect somebody to at least finish close to a points total they have already achieved?
'every season' was the demand.

If Kenwright had of just held his nerve after season one to make sure Marcus Stewart *ahem* roberto Martinez was the real deal, he'd have 12 months left on his initial contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back