Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe what Moshiri's doing is:

Keep Roberto Martinez for this season- in the hopes that he can end the trophy drought as he is a cup manager (regardless of league finish). If he doesn't, too bad. If he does, great, trophy drought over.

In the summer, get a new manager, a proven winner. Provide him with funds. Let the magic unfold.

Don't forget, Martinez has shown faith in Ross Barkley too.

Previously he'd been put in the temporary care of Neil Warnock.
At the same time who can tell what Moyes would of done with him on 13/14 or what Martinez would of done with him a year prior. Let's not forget about the double Leg break Barkley suffered which would have slowed Moyes' plans for him.

Last season we drew 1-1 there.

Your right is was the year before 28th Jan 2014 4 nil the pain is still as fresh today though.

Even within this timeframe the way we set up has not changed though

Martinez = one trip pony = philosphy = you score 8 we score 9 = Keegan Newcastle = phenomenal !

Last edited:

I read it fine.

The Martinez brigade believe that our stuttering and inconsistent campaign is due to a combination of reasons:

Martinez and his loyalty, namely to Howard.
The natural consequence of introducing youth
The natural consequence of introducing inexperience
The natural consequence of a huge rebuilding job, in style, in mentality
The natural consequence of having limited transfer windows to bring in players progressively
The natural consequence of a financial model of bringing in talented young players with potential rather than their 28 year oldw equivalents

They are just the ones I can think of.
The model has changed. We are billionaires. We can't spend that until the summer. in effect the process starts again but from a far more competitive playing field.

So yes, we think that mid table is acceptable providing he bring in quality in mass this summer.
That post has gave me a right giggle, I knew that wasn't your intention. Sorry.
I think it's the natural consequence of Martinez being in sole charge of managerial duties. He'd be a boss assisstant/dof/coach.

Sorry Roydo I disagree with you on that opening line. It's not a fair point at all, that's what he wants to label everyone fed up with Martinez, as in setting high targets and anything but reaching them targets means we want rid. If we were 6th now, this conversation wouldn't be taking place. I believe we have a squad capable of challenging for top 4, but it's not an expectancy, It's an aim, an aim were missing out on by 8 places.

I think it's totally unfair and unrealistic to think anyone who wants rid, wants rid because we are not occupying a top 4 spot.

Just another aim at polarising the topic.

With respect, the point I was agreeing with is that it is unfair to judge him against a criteria that former managers have not been.

And I certainly dont think folk are wanting rid cos we didnt get 4th. Well not me anyrate.

I dont want him gone, in an aggressive disrespectful way, but I have become unconvinced that he has it in him to get close to the 1st season. And I dont really want to be proved right.

At the same time who can tell what Moyes would of done with him on 13/14 or what Martinez would of done with him a year prior. Let's not forget about the double Leg break Barkley suffered which would have slowed Moyes' plans for him.
Fair point.

That is a very fair point Dave. It is ridiculous to hang him out because we didnt get 4th, or wont anyrate.

For me, based on the evidence I have seen, it is that the 1st season, the ace one, was the anomally. Not the 2 since.

I would like nothing more than for us to finish the season really well, cup, obvs, regroup, and start again. But I have said that too many times now.
It's the only reasonable way to view it mate. He's been here three seasons and has had us 5th with a record points haul and has us in two cup SFs (and hopefully further) and we're scoring goals like never before. I mean wtf are people expecting here from the net spend the feller has had? He;s bought one big fee signing (who has been mint) and the rest are small or reasonable fees. 'Challenging for CL football every season'. Dear me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back