Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am Dave, better league position means money. Okay FA Cup gets about 2.5 I think and you enter the Europa. Remember last year you saying it was a some what mickey mouse thing and messed up our season.

Wiki in 2017 will not have how much money we won in 2016 on the Everton honours bit.

Love that comment in the box, where was that posted?

Here you go friend

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...ews/everton-view-gwladys-st-martinez-11088455

How important could this FA Cup run be for the future of Roberto Martinez come the summer?
Cup win or not, Everton should be looking for a new manager in the summer. The cup competitions have brought some solace but the league is your bread and butter, what a club should be judged on.

If Everton want to progress, be taken seriously and enjoy real success, they need to get a proven, quality manager and rid themselves of the Tesco-value Pep Guardiola

Hi everyone, 1st post (I believe)

Martinez had a great 1st season with the record points haul and the football we played. His 2nd season, maybe you could use the excuse of Europe and the first time he's had to get used to 4 competitions. This season we've had no distractions and are pretty much, in a poor standard compared to previous premier league seasons, where we were this time last season. I'm starting to think that this could be the norm. We've had 4 home wins, he's currently battling with Mike Walker for the worst home record award. I get that we are better away from home but surely your home form is what you rely on. Normally you win your home games and pick up points away from home, but we're not even picking up points at home. The football isn't fast and attacking, it's predictable and the opposition know to let us have the ball as that is when we are most vulnerable. I'm not going to sit here and name managers who should take over but I know I don't want to give Martinez another season. His excuses are poor, his subs are baffling and we need to find other ways of playing. He comes across as a nice guy, he's very positive but I want an adaptable manager and a winner

Good first post Mally, now put your tin hat on and wait for a bloke called Davek to come after you! Welcome to the board!

I am Dave, better league position means money. Okay FA Cup gets about 2.5 I think and you enter the Europa. Remember last year you saying it was a some what mickey mouse thing and messed up our season.

In fairness to Dave he does have a better memory than me

BrownZ discussing Everton and the failures of Martinez with the Plotters

SchoolOfAthens.jpg

Dave trying to get the Cult to follow his argument

hqdefault.jpg

I think @davek nailed it in a few paragraphs which have already been commented on many times.

The style of play is very clear and yet doesnt it occur to people that hes gradually improving the squad? 9 of the first choice 11 were developed / signed by Martinez. Should he therefore have spent £40mil on far better players than Osman or Pienaar....there hasnt been enough money and these two amongst others have been taking up wages.

Yarmolenko was of course earmarked for the left sided position but instead we have players there who cost under £5mil combined.

Its like building a house, people want to complain because it may rain but dont want to let the builders finish the roof. Also theres not the best kitchen or bathrooms but theres not enough money to upgrade...

His rebuilding has been amazing and i for one hope he has as much success this summer.

And what standards do you think an Everton manager has to maintain in order not to be dismissed? You have the floor. Enlighten me.
Not to allow the team to regress on his watch, which is what has happened. He is an experienced manager with a selection of expensive internationals at his disposal, and yet they're incapable of doing even the basics right.

When a season is a single cup defeat away from being over in February, I think it's a major cause for concern. He is outwitted by virtually every manager he faces at Goodison, and it says a lot when having the same amount of wins on the road as Edward VI down at Bournemouth is considered cause for celebration amongst his supporters.

He's a dangerous man, Dave. For all the wind ups and jokes, I would be genuinely worried for the club's safety if I believed he was here for the long haul.

I've been saying this for ages.

We should be fighting more than one front.
Apparently that's too much to ask for or even aim for.

The overriding feeling is that we have a squad that would appear to be capable of doing well on both fronts.

Last season the EL was the excuse, this season the cups aren't being made out to be at fault, it's just they're more important than the league, supposedly. I don't buy it.

For every bit Leicester are over achieving we, in equal measure, are under achieving. It's a shame but it's fact.

Basing it on the old rule of thumb that 40 points is the safety mark, Martinez is still requiring points with 8 games to go.

*sighs deeply

Last edited:

Probably should have expanded on that. I was recalling the game at Swansea in his first season when Coleman scored a ridiculous goal, then we messed it up but Barks scored a freekick winner. There were quite a few games like that – West Ham away, Fulham away, Hull and Cardiff at home, Southampton – where we gave away a lead but still found a way to win the game. Often it was the substitutes that came on and made the difference; we took massive risks, went all out on the attack at times, and by and large the risks paid off. This season whenever we've given away a lead and then chased the game we've ended up conceding at the other end. The Bournemouth game summed it up. Cruising at 2-0, messed it up, sent everyone forward to get a last minute winner, managed to get it, then threw it away anyway.

The point I'm trying to make is that playing like that, riding the momentum of a game, is a bit of a lottery. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. In his first season it worked, last season and this season not so much. It's not necessarily a bad way of playing, I mean Newcastle nearly won the league doing it, I just don't like it.

I wouldn't even know where to begin.
Reeks of an agenda and a blindless to give even the most subtle of credits.

So for an entire season we just stumbled across 72 points?

I repeat:

What?

The reason we got those 72 points and had such a great season was in part down to Martinez, with his injection of new players. The introduction of a new attacking mentality and style and also the emergence of young talent such as Barkley.

But at the same time this team and its new found attacking ethic was complemented by the well-drilled defensive mentality and attributes of the players. This hard-nosed defensive skill was learned the hard way on the training pitches under the Moyes regime, not pretty but effective...Lose the ball and drop back to 2 lines of four, protect the fullbacks and stop crosses into the box. Centre-backs knew their marking zones and responsibilities and the result was a wall that would do the Spartan defenders of Thermopylae proud.

Now all those defensive skills have been drilled out of them - we lose possession and the full backs still push high up the pitch - the wide midfielders do not drop in and support them, too often Barry and McCarthy get overrun in midfield and our centre back pairings have displayed an alarming lack of technique, communication and understanding.

That is why we struggle and that is why so many of us are angry - attacking flair is great to see but you have to have a defense and teamwork ethic to complement this.

Coaching (or lack of it), poor leadership and communication on the pitch and the total lack of tactical nouse to alter the shape and structure of the team in-game are the reason for our crap season.

Probably should have expanded on that. I was recalling the game at Swansea in his first season when Coleman scored a ridiculous goal, then we messed it up but Barks scored a freekick winner. There were quite a few games like that – West Ham away, Fulham away, Hull and Cardiff at home, Southampton – where we gave away a lead but still found a way to win the game. Often it was the substitutes that came on and made the difference; we took massive risks, went all out on the attack at times, and by and large the risks paid off. This season whenever we've given away a lead and then chased the game we've ended up conceding at the other end. The Bournemouth game summed it up. Cruising at 2-0, messed it up, sent everyone forward to get a last minute winner, managed to get it, then threw it away anyway.

The point I'm trying to make is that playing like that, riding the momentum of a game, is a bit of a lottery. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. In his first season it worked, last season and this season not so much. It's not necessarily a bad way of playing, I mean Newcastle nearly won the league doing it, I just don't like it.
A005749.jpg

(think that is supposed to be the revelation from God on road to Damascus, if not, BrownZ out of shot on the left, personification of Cult on knees)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back