Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well within your rights? The entitlement from supporters of a club that spend a fraction of what clubs with realistic expectations of a CL spot spend is frightening.

What 'right' do you have of expecting one of those places?

If this manager had spent £200M over the last 3 seasons I;d be there with you with a pitchfork. But he hasn't. He's made one big fee signing who has been a great value for money.

FFS. what is happening here to people?

It's utter bedlam.
How much have Leicester spent?

Martinez increased the expectation when he took us to 5th, he hasn't had to sell any players but he's been able to bring them in, so this is the same squad and we should have improved but we've actually become worse.
If he achieved it in his first season why should we not be expecting him to achieve it in other seasons?

Didn't martinez claim our poor showing last season was down to the europa league,

Martinez increased the expectation when he took us to 5th, he hasn't had to sell any players but he's been able to bring them in, so this is the same squad and we should have improved but we've actually become worse.
If he achieved it in his first season why should we not be expecting him to achieve it in other seasons?

Surely his first season should set the standard and then you build on that. I remember Moyes first season we finished 7th and then finished 17th but the following season we were back up again and apart from the 11th place finish it was consistently to half finishes, I'm not advocating a Moyes back campaign, but my point is the 17th place and 11th place were blips. To finish 5th then have 2 bottom half finishes, If this season is a bottom half finish, isn't progression. We have no devine right to finish top 4 or 5 but that doesn't mean we can't have an expectation to finish top 5

What youth have we introduced this season apart from Galloway for the first few games?

You mean the style that we've been building for 3 years, and that we (according to some) actually seemingly perfected in 2013/14 anyway?

I'm actually starting to consider as to what his 'youth' policy actually is given this from a WIGAN Q & A...

'When asked about the Youth Policy, he said the problem lay with UK Youth policy not with Wigan, too many kids are thrown into games too young, are bought by top teams too young and nobody is allowed to develop. Kids should be allowed to ply the trade until they are 22 – 23 apart from rare exceptions. But the UK clubs as a whole doesn’t allow them this and so it is hard for clubs to develop any talent never mind for us to develop local kids...'

Wonder what still applies...

Six transfer windows to sign a Pienaar replacement Dave. That's a lot of thinking time.

I accept we mainly play counter attack, in fact I think you have to play on the counter with Lukaku. I could criticise Roberto for needing to be told by the players that that was the best way to use him, but I won't, because I think he'd already realised that himself. But then he has made Gareth Barry our main midfield player, who's only really good in a possession-based team, and still wants us to play out from the back all the time. That's the whole point really, perhaps he has a long-term plan, but at the moment it's a bit of a mish-mash.

All I want from him is a bit of anger and honesty. There's no emotion there at the moment. I'm sure there is underneath, but it's no good to the fans if it's not visible.
Pienaar was still very much a first team player in Martinez's first season, and last season it wasn't entirely clear he was finished through injury. Not exactly the long period of thinking time you suggest. I do believe his problem over on that side was that he was conceited enough to believe he could adapt Naismith in that role - something most could see was never possible. But, as said, you did make a big deal out of that position being testament to a wider malaise, so to omit the signing of Tarashaj and the pursuit of Yarmolenko was an obvious mistake on your part.

http://www.[Publication is blacklis...s-this-may-have-had-impact-in-everton-defeat/

The entire Arsenal XI were internationals. So for some reason they weren't impacted by the break and we were? This manager chats so much donkey it's unbelievable.

£56M.

Dont think because we've spent more lately other clubs havent. They have.

D'you know what? I've seen a few of their videos over time, and if Everton won the European Cup their faces would still be tripping them.

"Ok, he got us a boss first season...and ok, we might win the FA Cup...but what has he ever done for us?".

FFS.
Lets hope for your argument/stance' stake that we win the FA Cup because that senctence (no matter how inaccurate, when compared to what they actually say) will read pretty miserably if we don't.

This isn't a question for you, but I wonder how many managers in PL history will be dining out on their first season going into their 4th, which is what Martinez will be doing if we dont win April 23rd/May 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back