Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Essentially the fans don't matter.

You didn't realise that?

In this instance they dont matter because the fickle nature of fans are factored into decision making.

Honestly, I'm not on the wind up here, but trust me when I say that the board at Everton are just seeing a team that needs to get into the top half of the table, but one that was just swindled out of a cup final place and one with a massive amount of attacking flair getting plaudits from one and all and who individually Martinez has piled up the value on.

That is what they see.

They dont listen to footy forums and then go: "you know what, I reckon some lads called The Humble Egg and Ian-efc off GOT are right. Roberto has to go".

Twas ever thus.

The irrefutable bottom line here is that those who oppose the manager dont register. Not at all. This is what I've maintained for an hour or more on this thread, and it hasn't been seriously challenged...and neither can it be.

I do feel genuinely sorry for people who dont or wont grasp that.

We have a manager who needs to tighten up his defence. Correct. But we have a manager that will be given the time to do that and see his present contract out - at least.

I suggest that anyone who doesn't recognise that clear fact - or who cant handle it - find something else to campaign on.

Thanks Dave, where would we be without you?

We all know Martinez won't get sacked. Doesn't change the fact that he's an under performer who deserves to be.

I mean who would sack him? Kenwright?

Didn't he crown Moyes the greatest manager of all time when he gifted him the Rolex? The man who never won a single trophy and yet, there would be no Martinez had Moyes not packed it in. This despite Bill begging him to stay.

Didn't Martinez sign a new contract?? What would the payout figure be? Too much for us, besides, don't forget that we are trying to balance the books for the new owners, who just quietly have been told Martinez is Mr Tiki Taka.

Some might even be cynical enough to suggest that the squad breaking up in the summer, along with the new TV revenue will probably add a couple of extra 000 to the sale price.

If you think those who oppose the manager dont register, keep listening as the boos ring out louder and louder, and not on this forum but at Goodison, where is registers loud and clear.

Lets all hope the new owners get announced soon.

To be fair to Bobby, he has overseen one of the biggest squad overhauls in a long time, with a lot of our best and most experienced players approaching the twilight of their careers. Tara Distin, Osman, Hibbo, with Timmy, Jags, Pienaar, Baines and Ga Ba on the decline too. And he has done a wicked job in getting in some high class young replacements. Mori, Stones, Ross, McArthy and Rom are reyt good. But can Martinez move them forward... couple of things that suggest he can't:

1: Lack of desire off the ball. Think this is down to the woeful amount of fitness work that the lads do in training. All of our players are so good on the ball, but never press or work hard enough off it. Barkley, Jags and Rom all look like they are carrying a stone or two too many. How many deflected goals have we seen this season? Bad luck, yes, but players having too much time to take aim, and defenders being too close to the GK for him to react, tells its own story. So many players are constantly injured as well.

2: Too weak with the players. Can you imagine Bobby laying into a player for a poor performance? Couple of times I've thought to myself, the lads need a rollicking at half time, and I just cannot see Bobby doing that. Earlier this season I saw Jags slice the ball out of play, unchallenged, and Bobby was applauding him on the sidelines. What the hell. If the manager doesn't do it, the fans will, and then the players are too frightened to play.

3: Too weak with the refs. Can you imagine Bobby laying into the ref for a poor performance? Some decisions this season have been absolutely dire, and the best Bob can do is say that he is 'hurt' and it was 'unfair'. Probably the best way to protect yourself from a hefty fine, but since when was being a manager about protecting yourself? Needs to bring some of the diabolical refereeing to the attention of the media and the fans, and then perhaps we would be talking more about that, and less about whether Stones/Geri/Lukaku can be arsed. I hate refs

4: Dodgy decision making. Alcaraz starting against Dynamo last year ahead of a fully fit John Stones? Sidelining Mirallas? Filling the squad with tricky wingers and playing strikers and centre mids out wide instead? Like-for-like subs every game? The exact same system every game for three years on the bounce? Refusal to play two up top?

Personally I'm not overly arsed whether he stays or goes. Performance when we finished 5th was the best I have ever seen the blues play, but how much that was new gaffer/first season syndrome remains to be seen...

A few people have commented that we're a club who have a track record in giving managers plenty of time to do the job. Billy Bingham nearly won the title - sacked after 4 years. Gordon Lee finished 3rd and 4th - sacked after 4 years. The reason? The club had ambition and money. The current board have neither, therefore, Martinez will be here until he takes us down to Mike Walker territory.

Of course - just stating why it would be a "pipe dream" rather than an expectation. The odds at this point simply suggest we have very little chance of doing anything in that cup once we play half-decent opposition.

We beat city a few weeks ago

middle
ˈmɪd(ə)l/
adjective
  1. 1.
    at an equal distance from the extremities of something; central.

half
hɑːf/
noun
  1. 1.
    either of two equal or corresponding parts into which something is or can be divided.

By halving 20, you get 10, hence 10 is mid table

BOOYAKASHA!!!
Well technically 10th and 11th would be mid table according to that 10 alone is not mistake because there are 10 places below and only 9 above

Non mathematically I would consider mid table as 8th to 14th or so

4 spots fromrelegation to 4 spots from CL

The irrefutable bottom line here is that those who oppose the manager dont register. Not at all. This is what I've maintained for an hour or more on this thread, and it hasn't been seriously challenged...and neither can it be.

I do feel genuinely sorry for people who dont or wont grasp that.

We have a manager who needs to tighten up his defence. Correct. But we have a manager that will be given the time to do that and see his present contract out - at least.

I suggest that anyone who doesn't recognise that clear fact - or who cant handle it - find something else to campaign on.

We have a manager who seemingly has no interest in doing so...

"My philosophy and my way of working is not to keep clean sheets" Roberto Martinez - 27th Jan 2016

He's never built a side that is defensively sound, and his philosophy explains exactly why....

Wigan shipped goals, now Everton ship goals....not such a spooky co-incidence, given his view on clean sheets is it?

As for the views of fans 'not registering', that's piffle, as once fans start showing their displeasure on a match day, then it creates massive pressure on any manager, irrespective of their background or pedigree. See Van Gaal for details...

Am sure as a club we could find someone better equipped to get the squad ready and focused for a game like the Derby - and not be too nice which we currently are.

This is what really grates on me. It's like withe the goal last night, we just accepted it. We need to start letting them know what we think. EVERYbody else does it and things seem to go for them.

It's time.

090620150942551815193_2.jpg

You didn't realise that?

In this instance they dont matter because the fickle nature of fans are factored into decision making.

Honestly, I'm not on the wind up here, but trust me when I say that the board at Everton are just seeing a team that needs to get into the top half of the table, but one that was just swindled out of a cup final place and one with a massive amount of attacking flair getting plaudits from one and all and who individually Martinez has piled up the value on.

That is what they see.

They dont listen to footy forums and then go: "you know what, I reckon some lads called The Humble Egg and Ian-efc off GOT are right. Roberto has to go".

Look mate - i am not going to agree with you like i said and that your unwavering support is both amazing and disturbing.

but - we didn't get swindled out of nothing - the ball went out of play boo hoo - the ref and linesman didn't see it, it was complete inadequacy from them. However we had 5 players in the box and not one of them done a thing.

We have got to stop this culture of being swindled - terry goal was offside, who cares I could probably say we have had a few decisions on our side.

Plaudits are great, scoring so many goals is amazing. being in the bottom half of the table and losing games isn't - thats what people get judged on, winning.

Can you imagine in one of our players scored and got right in Henderson's face like Brown did to Djouf?

As @chazzle_dazzle has mentioned, we're too nice when it comes to the Derby

Lennon would change that

It's the other 36 games of the season that might prove difficult, as he's unproven at this level
love to see it, Lennon isnt the level we need to much baggage as well. Take brown and there forward as a bit of a gamble though

Thanks Dave, where would we be without you?

We all know Martinez won't get sacked. Doesn't change the fact that he's an under performer who deserves to be.

I mean who would sack him? Kenwright?

Didn't he crown Moyes the greatest manager of all time when he gifted him the Rolex? The man who never won a single trophy and yet, there would be no Martinez had Moyes not packed it in. This despite Bill begging him to stay.

Didn't Martinez sign a new contract?? What would the payout figure be? Too much for us, besides, don't forget that we are trying to balance the books for the new owners, who just quietly have been told Martinez is Mr Tiki Taka.

Some might even be cynical enough to suggest that the squad breaking up in the summer, along with the new TV revenue will probably add a couple of extra 000 to the sale price.

If you think those who oppose the manager dont register, keep listening as the boos ring out louder and louder, and not on this forum but at Goodison, where is registers loud and clear.

Lets all hope the new owners get announced soon.

Not as much as you'd think. What clubs do now is keep paying them until they get another job.

This is what has happened with Jose. Also why Rogers isn't too bothered about getting back in yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back