Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL
Suddenly FA CUP doesnt mean s***
Winning the FA Cup didn't save Wigan.

Portsmouth were in the FA Cup final the year they were relegated.

Aston Villa got to the final last year and are about to be relegated this year.

We'd all love to win the Cup and I actually think we will win it, but to suggest it is some sort of barometer for how good a season has been is wrong.

The FA Cup is settled over six games, of which you can draw teams that are three/four levels below.

The League is settled over 38 games, some of which are against teams who have spent £150m in one season.

LOL

Erm no mate, read it again lol

A side is measured on how they perform in the league, not what they do in cups.

Has anybody actually got a clue on here? I didn't say what you just replied with.

A cup is and always will be a lottery. Aston villa got to a final last year, they are going down this year.vin recent years Millwall, Wycombe etc etc have got to semis and finals.

At the end of the day it's a good day out for the fans and a bit of silverware. But for the benefit of those struggling with it, I will repeat - a side always has been judged on how they perform in the league......fin! :)

For me Martinez will have taken us as far as he can if he wins a trophy. It's clear from his time at Wigan and Everton that outside of 1 freak season in about 8 that he can't get a side into to the top half (shudders) and a trophy win with him gracefully leaving with both him and the fans having happy memories would be the idea scenario.

Would be no point him winning the FA Cup, being kept on then us finishing bottom half again next season with all that good will gone and back to square one.

What about Rooney, do you think he was forced out by Moyes or do you believe the lad was ambitious and wanted to win things, which under the board he knew would never happen because of chronic under investment? If Lukaku leaves that's why he'll leave. He wants to win things. Probably more than the FA Cup as well.

I think Martinez told Lukaku if he comes to Everton he will get him " champions league football" sounds familiar ?

No there really isn't and well you know it! A cup always has been and always will be a lottery.

Everybody in football knows and the situation has never changed, you are judged on your league form as to what kind of side you are.

Anybody peddling the cups as a measure of success hasn't got the first iota of a clue or is using it as a deflection because their debate has run out of room for manoeuvre.

So they can keep tapping their keyboard peddling the same nonsense, but it simply isn't true.

:coffee:
A lottery? They are football matches.
So the league is just a 38 game lottery then surely?

There's so much money in the game now, even when Martinez was hired. No club has to shop in the bargain basement. Do you think the Lukaku money came from Bills pocket?

no if you read what I said that is the difference between then and now ... more money .. however if Martinez was tasked with just premier survival and a cup run as you seem to think, why would they break the club record on a striker? Who is now the 2nd highest scoring striker this season!
Its obvious the board had higher expectations this season and Martinez has hugely under delivered, and because of this and more importantly his inability to turn it round, I believe it will result in his inevitable sacking

LOL
Of course it means something, particularly when we haven't won anything for twenty years. However you can't judge Martinez on just that basis. When we won the cup in 84 our league form had improved and you could tell that we were on the verge of something. In 95 Joe Royle had impressively saved us from relegation in his first season.

This season we're going to have the worst home record of all time, the manager will have presided over 2 mid table finishes when we've spent the past several years finishing 5th-7th and this in the context of the old top 4 regime being blown wide open. On top of this the manager looks to have no idea of how to replicate his points total from 2 years ago. Given all that it's a reasonable position to take to say that even if we win the cup the manager should go.

In their anger people have forgotten this. If Everton wins the cup theres humble pie for everyone to eat.

A cup is a cup can't argue with that but we are worried about the league form. 2 seasons now. I think for those who care more on league position will cast doubt on him, in long terms.

A lottery? They are football matches.
So the league is just a 38 game lottery then surely?

Oh sweet Jesus! Are you being serious?

So you consider playing Dagenham and Carlisle as the same standard of a premier league game? The FA cup is all about the draw, always has been, always will be.

Oh sweet Jesus! Are you being serious?

So you consider playing Dagenham and Carlisle as the same standard of a premier league game? The FA cup is all about the draw, always has been, always will be.
Ah I see, so you're talking about the lottery of who we get round to round. That's a fair point.

So, you think a side is better judged over league performance?

Question:

Would you rather we finish 5th this season, hypothetically of course, or win the FA Cup?

A cup is a cup can't argue with that but we are worried about the league form. 2 seasons now. I think for those who care more on league position will cast doubt on him, in long terms.
Im worried too. But when peeps say that even cup win wouldnt change their opinion about sacking Martinez I know things are on wrong tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back