Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how we're saying that we are going to do this or going to do that? You can point to a record points total for 1 season but that was 2 seasons ago. It means nothing now! Martinez has bought some decent players I don't deny that but what else has he done? Yes we've got to 2 semi finals, lost one due to horrific subs in the 2nd leg, Turned one of the best defences in the league to one of, if not the worst in the division, spent £13.5 Mil on a player who after 2 months is still not fit. I want Everton to be the best team around but I can't see how they can do it with Martinez in charge. Unfortunately, you can tell wigan fans (no disrespect to them) that any won is a historic moment in their history but that won't wash at Everton.

It does when all of your other doors have closed and you are on the ropes flailing!

People will still complain and make comparisons to Wigan, it's what they revert to and it's like arguing with a racist political party supporter.
giphy.gif

EVERYBODY will be happy with a cup win. It doesn't mask 2 years of horrendous league performances. Don't insult people's intelligence by assuming those who are fed up with it as akin to a right wing person.

In all league games this is how they have played mate
Oviedo has played 10 games we have conceded 14 in those games = `1.4 goals conceded per game
Galloway has played 15 games we have conceded 24 goals in those games = 1.6 goals conceded per game
Baines has played in 10 games we have cocneded 14 goals in those games = 1.4 goals conceded per game

Care to explain how the defence was sounder Dave when Baines wasn't playing when we have cocneded the exact same amount of goals per game when Oviedo played and considerably more when galloway played?

Other little stat, we have conceded 3 or more goals once with Baines in the team, twice when Oviedo has been in the team and three times when Galloway has been playing.

Be interested to see how you spin this one

LOL

He hasn't learnt. Last summer people tended to say give him this season (some said 10 games some said till X'mas) to prove. Another season has almost gone. Things have not changed. Results are there to see. The only way out is to win the cup now.

...he never will either mate, despite ample opportunity to do so.....the circle spins and spins and spins.

Pffff.....

And how many outside the richest clubs even win a trophy?
I'm not sure what people want in terms of the top four. We could easily find everything goes for us one season and we make the champions league on a one off basis, but are we currently set up to ensure any long term benefit from it. I'd say we are closer now than we were under Moyes. Which isn't to discredit him at all. It was an excellent job done but we need to look like an attractive prospect in terms of playing style, infrastructure and ambition. Martinez has at least recognised this. Whether he'll deliver is open to debate.
Imagine thinking we're closer to the CL than under Moyes when we finished 11th last season and are currently 12th. Especially when Moyes' worst season in his last 7 years was finishing 8th once.

A lottery? They are football matches.
So the league is just a 38 game lottery then surely?
Is every opponent premier league opposition? Ffs. So Villa are a top side for getting to the final last year? Are Portsmouth better than us for winning a final more recently?

Think it has to be said. These arguments about record points total 2 years ago and developing teams and giving things time. Think about it, sounds similar to another popular saying.....

Next year is going to be our year

Except it never is their year........

Also with regards to the 75 points, I bet you the team from across the park will use their points total that season when making cases that Rodgers shouldn't have been sacked! He almost won the title, how unbearable that would have been, yet he had a similar record to Martinez this season and they got rid. Mourinho won the league last season yet he's gone. I don't see the relevance of 1 good season

In all league games this is how they have played mate
Oviedo has played 10 games we have conceded 14 in those games = `1.4 goals conceded per game
Galloway has played 15 games we have conceded 24 goals in those games = 1.6 goals conceded per game
Baines has played in 10 games we have cocneded 14 goals in those games = 1.4 goals conceded per game

Care to explain how the defence was sounder Dave when Baines wasn't playing when we have cocneded the exact same amount of goals per game when Oviedo played and considerably more when galloway played?

Other little stat, we have conceded 3 or more goals once with Baines in the team, twice when Oviedo has been in the team and three times when Galloway has been playing.

Be interested to see how you spin this one
Context is all that matters there. You can concede when completely in control and the opposition gets a consolation, for example.

If you look at the first two months of this season when we had that tough start, but we were solid through it, we had at least two from Oviedo, Galloway or Browning operating in the back four for the most part of it. It provided the base for attacking and an element of security to hold onto the rewards of our attacking. Up to the derby in October, we'd had just one defeat, scored 12 and conceded 8. After that point the option of turning regularly to those three wasn't there as injury hit them. Thereafter, results became erratic. We settled down again only with the return to action of Oviedo after the new year.

How you can try and throw a shield up in front of Baines this season is beyond me. If you think Baines is on song then your expectations about what we should be getting out of a FB is staggeringly low. For the most part he's been ineffective, and he's absolutely stunk the place out at times. We've had the best out of him. He's a defender who cant defend and there's no room for that in any PL team anymore.

I agree, and I've not wavered on this, that I'd love the FA Cup. The cup, his second, would represent a decent cup manager.

However, shouldn't we be doing well in both the league and cups? I'm concerned that he neglects the league, that's all. For example, this is hardly impressive, league-wise;

View attachment 19946
What does that men though? Are you saying if you looked back in the history books you'd think to yourself: "Martinez won us our first trophy for a couple of generations, it's just a pity he dropped us 5 places in the league though"

???

Not happening is it?

He's been here less than three seasons and he has our PL record. And if he won the cup it;d make him hands down our best manager since Royle (in fact he;d marginally surpass Joe given his league record).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back