Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think it has to be said. These arguments about record points total 2 years ago and developing teams and giving things time. Think about it, sounds similar to another popular saying.....

Next year is going to be our year

Except it never is their year........

...said it before mate, for some it's rapidly becoming our variation of their '5 times, 5 times'.

And that, because of times pass, is meaningless as well...

What does that men though? Are you saying if you looked back in the history books you'd think to yourself: "Martinez won us our first trophy for a couple of generations, it's just a pity he dropped us 5 places in the league though"

???

Not happening is it?

He's been here less than three seasons and he has our PL record. And if he won the cup it;d make him hands down our best manager since Royle (in fact he;d marginally surpass Joe given his league record).

So much wrong with this, and if for a moment I thought you were being genuine I'd bother to respond in kind. Instead I'll just highlight it.

And how many outside the richest clubs even win a trophy?
Sigh.

League Cups - and presuming we are counting Spurs and the Horrors as 'big clubs'

Leicester, 2000
Blackburn, 2002
Middlesbrough, 2004
Birmingham, 2011
Swansea, 2013

FA Cups in the same period

Portsmouth (two cup finals as well)
(and the thing you will no doubt seize on because it is your level of posting) Wigan

I'm going to guess the Boro and Birmingham wins are McLaren / McLeish and we know it's Wobbly Chops for the Portsmouth win. He's in top company there.

so that's seven clubs with trophies in the last 16 years.

Jesus absolute christ. Leave it to Dave before you hurt yourself.

In all league games this is how they have played mate
Oviedo has played 10 games we have conceded 14 in those games = `1.4 goals conceded per game
Galloway has played 15 games we have conceded 24 goals in those games = 1.6 goals conceded per game
Baines has played in 10 games we have cocneded 14 goals in those games = 1.4 goals conceded per game

Care to explain how the defence was sounder Dave when Baines wasn't playing when we have cocneded the exact same amount of goals per game when Oviedo played and considerably more when galloway played?

Other little stat, we have conceded 3 or more goals once with Baines in the team, twice when Oviedo has been in the team and three times when Galloway has been playing.

Be interested to see how you spin this one

The throwing under the bus of genuine class players like Baines Coleman and Jags is ridiculous at times. Despite proving their class for Everton year on year some people would have you believe that Galloway and Browning, teenage centrebacks playing out of position, are better defenders and that these three are what is wrong with the team. That would be our only two PFA team of the year players in ages and the club captain England international. K lads.

Senior squad in & out during Martinez's tenure.

In: Lukaku - £28m, Niasse - £13.5m, McCarthy - £13m, Funes Mori - £9.5m, Kone - £6m, Lennon - £4.5m, Deulofeu - £4.2m, Besic - £4m, Tarashaj - £3m, Robles - (undisclosed; roughly £2.5m), Barry - £2.5m (due to a clause not free), Holgate - £2m, Galloway - (undisclosed; roughly £2m), McGeady - (undisclosed; roughly £1.5m), Rodriguez - £500k, Alcaraz - free, Cleverley - free, Eto'o - free.

Out: Fellaini - £27.5m, Naismith - £8.5m, Jelavic - (undisclosed; roughly £6.5m), Anichebe - £6m, Duffy - (undisclosed; £1m top), Eto'o - (undisclosed; roughly £1m) Distin - free, Heitinga - free.

Didn't court the fees of youth team players like Hanen, Long and Kennedy. Fees would be minimal.

Spent roughly £96.7m and income is around £50.5m = £46.2m net spend.

I think, in Everton terms, Martinez has been backed by the board. How much was Moyes's net spend per season was it £2m approximately?

when you look at outgoings though, all were replaced as they left. SO where we have made the money, for example selling naismith for 8 million and bringing in naisse and tarashaj is just replacing the player in the team.

My thoughts are simply that the amount of fees paid out over 3 years, this is 100% martinez team and for the amount of money spent, it isn't good enough.

Ha Ha Ha.

A supporter of a club that's won nothing for 21 years looking down their nose at the FA Cup.

Mate, we haven;t been good enough to win ANYTHING for 21 long years. We have no right to be taking the piss out of Redknapp or any other manager who wins a trophy.

The devaluing of the cup is simply down to this: some here desperate to see the back of Martinez want to devalue the cup in case he wins it for us.

That is another one of those inconvenient truths.

If anything dave mate, i am proving anyone can win a cup with a good cup run, so to hold the manager in esteem for winning one, forgetting everything else that came with his time at that club and then using it as a blue print for his current team is just basically madness.

The ONLY thing martinez has ever proven in his managerial career is that he can win you a cup, even if it means getting relegated. That is it, he has proven nothing else. Can't talk about good football because it doesn't win games, neither does all the goals we score. But i'm sure you have an explanation about martinez also winning a few games that hughes and redknapp also won in the past eh?

Ha Ha Ha.

A supporter of a club that's won nothing for 21 years looking down their nose at the FA Cup.

Mate, we haven;t been good enough to win ANYTHING for 21 long years. We have no right to be taking the piss out of Redknapp or any other manager who wins a trophy.

The devaluing of the cup is simply down to this: some here desperate to see the back of Martinez want to devalue the cup in case he wins it for us.

That is another one of those inconvenient truths.

And there you have it.

You see us in the same light as Wigan. We should be all be grateful for a cup run at the expense of all else. Little plucky old Everton having a run in the cup, let's all have a disco!

We would all love to win the FA cup, nobody is devaluing it, but it is as I have already pointed out numerous times this morning, it is not the measure of success as a manager. Now take your silly head off for a moment, put your not so silly one on and take time to reflect on the utter nonsense you are typing.

You want the truth? you want the truth? you can't handle the truth! :coffee:

What, like Lukaku and Jagielka recently stating the manager gets stick but it's down to them to do it on the pitch but they aren't doing it?

Like that?

what are they meant to say in the media? when have players ever slated their manager?

especially with el fraud in they would be frozen out of the team.

youve completely lost the plot. as moutsgout asked, have you watched us play ?????

Joe Royle left when the board refused to pay £750k for Tore Andre Flo..... pity this board didn't do that when martinez suggested buying Kone.

Royle took over we were rooted to the bottom of the league, the following season we finished 6th. How is he even comparable to Martinez?

R Martinez needs immediate binning. I care less what his kool-aid effected (and affected) apologists, (in their emblazoned cultist livery) vociferously decry: the man is out of his depth.

OK, perhaps, I'm being a bit OTT there: what say we give him til next Christmas?

....but I think we can do so much better

And there you have it.

You see us in the same light as Wigan. We should be all be grateful for a cup run at the expense of all else. Little plucky old Everton having a run in the cup, let's all have a disco!

We would all love to win the FA cup, nobody is devaluing it, but it is as I have already pointed out numerous times this morning, it is not the measure of success as a manager. Now take your silly head off for a moment, put your not so silly one on and take time to reflect on the utter nonsense you are typing.

You want the truth? you want the truth? you can't handle the truth! :coffee:

Good post mate. But I think daves ears are full of wax and his eyes well he has his dark tinted specs on. You could maybe say they're fool proof ones....

My lad keeps pointing those things out to me (he's trying his hardest to turn me) Also, the other thing my lad has started to go on about, and it has always niggled away at me anyway, is that in Martinez's eyes it's never his fault, it's always someone else's, fans, refs, players, I just wish that he would just come out, even once, and hold his hands up, and admit he cocked up (that's why I started hoping someone else would come out and do the post match interviews) by not doing this though, it's almost as if he thinks that what he is doing is working, and when it doesn't work it's not because of him.

After all that though, I'm just about still 'IN' but my lads arguments for him to go get more convincing by the day.

If Martinez is willing to admit his weakness and learn from the progress perhaps people will be less against him...it seems he is so stubborn in a way. I won't say it is necessary a bad thing for a manager but our defence is so crap that he really needs help but certainly not this Lawrence dude, who is trusted.

R Martinez needs immediate binning. I care less what his kool-aid effected (and affected) apologists, (in their emblazoned cultist livery) vociferously decry: the man is out of his depth.

OK, perhaps, I'm being a bit OTT there: what say we give him til next Christmas?

....but I think we can do so much better

We've said Christmas before lol and we're still in the same boat. Martinez needs kickin in the pool with no arm bands

Senior squad in & out during Martinez's tenure.

In: Lukaku - £28m, Niasse - £13.5m, McCarthy - £13m, Funes Mori - £9.5m, Kone - £6m, Lennon - £4.5m, Deulofeu - £4.2m, Besic - £4m, Tarashaj - £3m, Robles - (undisclosed; roughly £2.5m), Barry - £2.5m (due to a clause not free), Holgate - £2m, Galloway - (undisclosed; roughly £2m), McGeady - (undisclosed; roughly £1.5m), Rodriguez - £500k, Alcaraz - free, Cleverley - free, Eto'o - free.

Out: Fellaini - £27.5m, Naismith - £8.5m, Jelavic - (undisclosed; roughly £6.5m), Anichebe - £6m, Duffy - (undisclosed; £1m top), Eto'o - (undisclosed; roughly £1m) Distin - free, Heitinga - free.

Didn't court the fees of youth team players like Hanen, Long and Kennedy. Fees would be minimal.

Spent roughly £96.7m and income is around £50.5m = £46.2m net spend.

I think, in Everton terms, Martinez has been backed by the board. How much was Moyes's net spend per season was it £2m approximately?
Genuine question here, would Moyes have a better squad than the one we have now, with the same amount of money given? He was great on transfers Moyes but could he attract big players? Lukaku, Deulofeu, Besic, McCarthy all signed because of Martinez. And look at who has left while he's been here, all deadwood except Fellaini (where we got a great deal). The argument that Martinez has been backed by the board shouldn't be used against him, because he's done well regarding ins and outs. Just need to manage them well..

If Martinez is willing to admit his weakness and learn from the progress perhaps people will be less against him...it seems he is so stubborn in a way. I won't say it is necessary a bad thing for a manager but our defence is so crap that he really needs help but certainly not this Lawrence dude, who is trusted.

After the Arsenal game was the first time he's actually come out and said we were piss poor, but he then went and spoilt it by saying that that performance was a "one off"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back