Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering your case and point of Martinez 'winning something' resulted in relegation at the same time, kinda takes the shine off the achievement mate.

What i will take from it though is that Mark Hughes in similar circumstances has his worse stoke team performing BETTER than Martinez's everton team. More points, better results, until February even beat us in successive games. To take a team above Everton and perform better with a worse squad? For more than one season as well?! not just a one off (*cough* like 72 point seasons *cough*).

who cares what Hughes did at city or Fulham. The only time that is comparable is now, the same time as Martinez, and it looks like out of the two, Hughes is the better manager.
Mark Hughes.

FFS, has it really come down to that clown?

net spend? How do you work that one out?

28 million- Lukaku
13 million-Niasse
13 million - McCarthy
9 Million - Mori
4 Million - Lennon
4 million - Deleufeu
5 million Kone
the odd million here and there for young players

roughly that is minimum 76 million pounds spent in 3 years on transfers. Don't go on about net spend, even though we havent sold many players in that time to even bring that price down. This all does not include the young players signed, the loan fees etc

Martinez has had money, he has had plenty of money to spend, i dont care he sold Fellaini one year to slightly adjest costs, he has still spent over 80 million on players whilst being here and gone backwards.

Oh and net spend arguments is what we all seem to laugh at kopites over for years, so i'd drop that way of thinking mate

Senior squad in & out during Martinez's tenure.

In: Lukaku - £28m, Niasse - £13.5m, McCarthy - £13m, Funes Mori - £9.5m, Kone - £6m, Lennon - £4.5m, Deulofeu - £4.2m, Besic - £4m, Tarashaj - £3m, Robles - (undisclosed; roughly £2.5m), Barry - £2.5m (due to a clause not free), Holgate - £2m, Galloway - (undisclosed; roughly £2m), McGeady - (undisclosed; roughly £1.5m), Rodriguez - £500k, Alcaraz - free, Cleverley - free, Eto'o - free.

Out: Fellaini - £27.5m, Naismith - £8.5m, Jelavic - (undisclosed; roughly £6.5m), Anichebe - £6m, Duffy - (undisclosed; £1m top), Eto'o - (undisclosed; roughly £1m) Distin - free, Heitinga - free.

Didn't court the fees of youth team players like Hanen, Long and Kennedy. Fees would be minimal.

Spent roughly £96.7m and income is around £50.5m = £46.2m net spend.

I think, in Everton terms, Martinez has been backed by the board. How much was Moyes's net spend per season was it £2m approximately?

He hasn't learnt. Last summer people tended to say give him this season (some said 10 games some said till X'mas) to prove. Another season has almost gone. Things have not changed. Results are there to see. The only way out is to win the cup now.

My lad keeps pointing those things out to me (he's trying his hardest to turn me) Also, the other thing my lad has started to go on about, and it has always niggled away at me anyway, is that in Martinez's eyes it's never his fault, it's always someone else's, fans, refs, players, I just wish that he would just come out, even once, and hold his hands up, and admit he cocked up (that's why I started hoping someone else would come out and do the post match interviews) by not doing this though, it's almost as if he thinks that what he is doing is working, and when it doesn't work it's not because of him.

After all that though, I'm just about still 'IN' but my lads arguments for him to go get more convincing by the day.

In fact mate, you know a manager who Martinez is comparable to?

Harry Redknapp.

His only cup won was the FA cup as he was getting relegated. Also got promotion with a championship team more than once, Roberto has only league one to hold on his CV.

so in terms of achievements as you put it, Martinez is equal to Harry Redknapp in your words :)
Ha Ha Ha.

A supporter of a club that's won nothing for 21 years looking down their nose at the FA Cup.

Mate, we haven;t been good enough to win ANYTHING for 21 long years. We have no right to be taking the piss out of Redknapp or any other manager who wins a trophy.

The devaluing of the cup is simply down to this: some here desperate to see the back of Martinez want to devalue the cup in case he wins it for us.

That is another one of those inconvenient truths.

Is every opponent premier league opposition? Ffs. So Villa are a top side for getting to the final last year? Are Portsmouth better than us for winning a final more recently?
Sorry@mkrudden I see you've already had to answer this many times. Apologies.

What does that men though? Are you saying if you looked back in the history books you'd think to yourself: "Martinez won us our first trophy for a couple of generations, it's just a pity he dropped us 5 places in the league though"

???

Not happening is it?

He's been here less than three seasons and he has our PL record. And if he won the cup it;d make him hands down our best manager since Royle (in fact he;d marginally surpass Joe given his league record).
However, Royle found us in very different circumstances - quite literally last. He took us to a cup win and the top half, top 6 in fact.

Martinez found us in 6th, and, first season apart, has got us to two semi finals and heading towards two bottom half finished, consecutively.

I agree a trophy wound be ace, and I really hope we do it - I'm not happy with the league pkavings and performances thigh.

To be clear, I do not want to see Smith or Moyes negative football, and I want is to with the cup - I do though want us to be competing at the top end of the league and qualifying for Europe through that - we were, and now we're not.

Is Martinez the only current PL Manager to have gotten a team relegated?

....he's deffo the only one who is so supremely confident in his own ability & committed to his own philosophy that he felt he wasn't the man to bring that team back up.

I repeat....his philosophy got a team relegated; yet he felt he wasn't the man to bring them back up?

Still baffles that one.

Your point only makes sense if we have the same financial backing in the future as we've had under Moyes and Martinez. But we wont, we'll have more. And that means neither you or I have any idea what Martinez can do with more cash.

Just to highlight that point, and for the sake of argument, who are this management team you have in mind that would come in now, as is, and better what Martinez (or Moyes for that matter) did with this present level of financial backing?

Will return to this as short of time, but from the Premier League Ronald Keoman must be worth considering, from Europe Marcelino (Villareal) would be worthy of consideration.

Mark Hughes.

FFS, has it really come down to that clown?
No mate it's come down to martinez. Hughes has out performed Martinez for 2 years straight now with a worse team so that kinda makes him the better manager.

in fact Swansea could well go above us AGAIN for two years in a row also if we fail to beat United. And they sacked their manager for being poor, having a one off season before dropping down the league. Although that sounds familiar........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back