Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted in.

Despite our poor form and heart-breaking results, I still (I don't know why) feel he can do something special here.

Please assess the squad and get in a top defending coach in the summer Roberto!

On the defensive side: if we had a solid GK the situation would be vastly improved. That's his weakness this season. It will be resolved next season. There's no question about that.

That's the thing isn't it. We have one, sat on the bench. But the genius refuses to use him for the majority of our games, citing "phenomenal experience and know-how" as his reason.

As for the last point, we can only hope you're right, but I think you'll be in for a surprise.

To be fair Dave, I think the biggest concern is that each negative result that we seem to somehow snatch from the jaws of victory will gradually and terminally erode the confidence of the players. There is already a palpable change in mentality when we go ahead and it's a difficult thing to reverse. Players are a fickle bunch and will look around them for someone to blame which often leads to a manager "losing the dressing room". We can't keep blaming bad decisions, they happen to every team, but the trend of throwing away games could well spiral out of Martinez' control at this rate.

Martinez has a big job on his hands. If we can go on a good run before the end of the season and give us even a glimpse of our real potential, a lot of people would be happy for him to stay. But if results don't improve, I think people will be right to question his ability after 2 years which is, bafflingly, a long time in modern footballing terms. He still unreservedly has my vote, but I can't say I blame people for starting to look elsewhere.
That's reasonable. I think a top half finish will pacify most. A few though will see all the worst features and continue to lobby for removal.

We're a fraction away. I think most reasonable people see that.

Isn't that a contradiction? He's proven and stated many times that he won't change.

No, he won't change.. But he may still improve, and no matter how bad a 3-1 defeat is at the Etihad in a cup semi.. he did get us to a semi final, and we are still in another cup, I want to see how it plays out, and see who his targets are for the summer.
If one of them is a keeper and a DM then I would give him another season, if not I would change him. Our CB trio are very good imo, despite some people wanting us to improve them, but for its worth noting that, although we conceded 3 goals yesterday, it was clearly due to our defensive tactics not our players. He needs a defensive coach. Get these things and I could see a hugely exciting future for us.

If there is no sign of at least most of the issues getting resolved by midway through this summer then I would say get rid, until then he still has my backing. So no, not so much a contradiction as a bit more optimism, hope and a little more patience than many that things will change :)

If he does go, then I want us to start from a blank page though. No essence of Moyes or Martinez style involved.

How does it mean that?

I'm merely stating that a few hundred blowhards wont change a thing...no matter how much they want to.
Evertonians use this forum to vent and as much as you pretend you aren't on a wind up, it seems you are. I best get some shut-eye! Face all the mancs in work again tonight :(

That's reasonable. I think a top half finish will pacify most. A few though will see all the worst features and continue to lobby for removal.

We're a fraction away. I think most reasonable people see that.

Sorry to argue semantics with you, but I think we're more than a fraction away

I do agree that it's not beyond him to achieve success here, but I think there's far more to do than you do

You didn't realise that?

In this instance they dont matter because the fickle nature of fans are factored into decision making.

Honestly, I'm not on the wind up here, but trust me when I say that the board at Everton are just seeing a team that needs to get into the top half of the table, but one that was just swindled out of a cup final place and one with a massive amount of attacking flair getting plaudits from one and all and who individually Martinez has piled up the value on.

That is what they see.

They dont listen to footy forums and then go: "you know what, I reckon some lads called The Humble Egg and Ian-efc off GOT are right. Roberto has to go".

....pffff, you're making me an @ianefc sound like some sort of evil, all-knowing STARSKY & HUTCH sorts hell-bent on ridding the club of our arch enemy 'THE POUND-SHOP GUARDIOLA'. Utterly ridiculous Dave, even by your standards...

That said - if the TV money's good I'LL deffo sign up for the pilot series.

To be fair Dave, I think the biggest concern is that each negative result that we seem to somehow snatch from the jaws of victory will gradually and terminally erode the confidence of the players. There is already a palpable change in mentality when we go ahead and it's a difficult thing to reverse. Players are a fickle bunch and will look around them for someone to blame which often leads to a manager "losing the dressing room". We can't keep blaming bad decisions, they happen to every team, but the trend of throwing away games could well spiral out of Martinez' control at this rate.

Martinez has a big job on his hands. If we can go on a good run before the end of the season and give us even a glimpse of our real potential, a lot of people would be happy for him to stay. But if results don't improve, I think people will be right to question his ability after 2 years which is, bafflingly, a long time in modern footballing terms. He still unreservedly has my vote, but I can't say I blame people for starting to look elsewhere.

Fair comment.

The reason we're snatching defeat from the jaws of victory so often is down to the poor defensive organisation of the team as a whole and gung ho game management.

So for it to change, he's going to have to dramatically alter both major aspects of his management style. Is he going to do so in the next month or 2? I can't see it, he's stubborn and believes he's right, I think we'll see more of the same between now and May personally.

If he proves me wrong then good on him, but I doubt he will. In which case May would be the time to bullet him. If we finish in or around where we are now then he's under achieved for the second season running, and it'd be time to bring in a new manager.

....pffff, you're making me an @ianefc sound like some sort of evil, all-knowing STARSKY & HUTCH sorts hell-bent on ridding the club of our arch enemy 'THE POUND-SHOP GUARDIOLA'. Utterly ridiculous Dave, even by your standards...

That said - if the TV money's good I'LL deffo sign up for the pilot series.

I was thinking more Laurel and Hardy, tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back