Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate I'm very much an optimist but he's finally exhausted all my optimism while he remains in charge.
This is not a dig at you, but just to respond to the points in bold:
  • He did get us to a semi-final, true. After we scraped past Barnsley, Reading and Norwich he ballsed it up with his dreadful line-up and worse subs.
Lost by one goal against City over two legs isn't that bad
  • True we're still in the FA cup. We haven't played in it yet!
  • We've seen how the last 18 months have played out. Is this not bad enough?
Yep, but I still want to give him at least half of the summer, he fixed plenty last window, I want to see if he will fix more this window
  • What about targets for now? Getting £8m for Naismith is only good business if you improve the squad with it. But instead of that, he claims the squad is too big?!
True, he needs to play Mirallas and ditch the others, I like Naismith, thought he was a good player, but I'd rather we sold him and used the money to replace him with someone that will get more game time. Whereas Davek is just happy to use the money to cover the deficit from the league position prizes, for me that's not good use of selling someone.

Targets for now should be winning every game, as they should be every season, every game.
  • He's got a keeper and a dm there in Joel and Besic. One only plays the cup games, one has only just started getting a game because of McCarthy's injury.
Joel played in the League cup semi final Martinez ballsed up, and conceded 4 in 2 games. Changing the keeper makes a little difference, if you don't close down shots or playmakers and let players pass around us at will we will still concede a lot.
We could have Southall in his prime and still struggle to keep a clean sheet. This is what Martinez needs to address.. stop standing/backing off and get the f*****g ball.
  • He's shown no interest in defensive tactics and so there's no chance of a defensive coach coming in.
True, but if he gets a defensive coach I am convinced we could rocket up the league.
  • Again, 18 months of this is more than enough patience.
Nearly.. I'm almost there with you. I never fully took to him, but I am yet to fully turn on him either.

Last edited:

Hmmm, a young manager having a reasonably positive start before dropping off the pace for a couple of seasons whilst trying to overhaul his squad and fans calling for his head, where have I seen that before?

If he stays the next will be his 4th season at this club. Hardly a newcomer as a PL manager. For those who are calling his head I guess like me we want 6th/7th with a Europa place. Is this really a big ask? And the problem here is simple. He publicly said defence is not something he rates as the most important issue. Sorry but I have to disagree with this and on the pitch the shambolic defending really has not improved. This is the major concern. Will he ever fixed it? Let me remind you he wins 18 out of 61 league games since August 2014.

He won't go as much as he should any team with ambition would have got rid.

But there is no one there to sack him the only person who could is on his last legs and the rest of the board aren't bothered about what happens to Everton

If he stays the next will be his 4th season at this club. Hardly a newcomer as a PL manager. For those who are calling his head I guess like me we want 6th/7th with a Europa place. Is this really a big ask? And the problem here is simple. He publicly said defence is not something he rates as the most important issue. Sorry but I have to disagree with this and on the pitch the shambolic defending really has not improved. This is the major concern. Will he ever fixed it? Let me remind you he wins 18 out of 61 league games since August 2014.

Thanks for the timely reminder, I've not seen that stat for about 20 seconds so it's always handy.

He won't go as much as he should any team with ambition would have got rid.

But there is no one there to sack him the only person who could is on his last legs and the rest of the board aren't bothered about what happens to Everton

Maybe the prospective new owners have insisted they won't complete deal while he's in charge...A dilemma for chairman/elstone

You have to admit he's assembled a nice team and we'd never have had that under Moyes. Don't be mean, he's a really nice bloke and I want him to turn it around. Come on Bob, you can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back