Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair Dave, I think the biggest concern is that each negative result that we seem to somehow snatch from the jaws of victory will gradually and terminally erode the confidence of the players. There is already a palpable change in mentality when we go ahead and it's a difficult thing to reverse. Players are a fickle bunch and will look around them for someone to blame which often leads to a manager "losing the dressing room". We can't keep blaming bad decisions, they happen to every team, but the trend of throwing away games could well spiral out of Martinez' control at this rate.

Martinez has a big job on his hands. If we can go on a good run before the end of the season and give us even a glimpse of our real potential, a lot of people would be happy for him to stay. But if results don't improve, I think people will be right to question his ability after 2 years which is, bafflingly, a long time in modern footballing terms. He still unreservedly has my vote, but I can't say I blame people for starting to look elsewhere.

It will actually be three years at the end of this season, Prev.

Not a long time.....but I bet he must be in the top three longest serving EPL managers.

Wenger is the only one I can think off who has been in situ longer.

Maybe Pellegrini.

On the cusp of something great when we've actually slipped from where he took over from

3 league wins at home all season
157 goals conceded since he arrived
No fight on the park
A willingness not to accept defence is important
20+ goals concedes at home this season alone
18 wins out of 61 in the league since start of last season
Mind boggling post match interviews refusing to accept problems
Blaming fans on 2 separate occasion in 2 separate seasons due to his failure
An unwillingness to bench certain underperforming players

It's close lads, so so so close

He hasn't sorted his defence in 9 years of being a manager, what makes you think he is going to start that now? Its been a comment about all of his clubs great attacking [Poor language removed] defending - don't understand where this "he will sort it" comes from - he never had he never will its not in his make up.

110 goals conceded since the start of last season.

Its awful.

It relegated Wigan, it will cost him his job here.

It will actually be three years at the end of this season, Prev.

Not a long time.....but I bet he must be in the top three longest serving EPL managers.

Wenger is the only one I can think off who has been in situ longer.

Maybe Pellegrini.

5th - Mark Hughes and Eddie Howe on top of the ones you've mentioned

I was thinking more Laurel and Hardy, tbh.

No need for that mate.

*Twiddles Dickie.

annex-laurel-hardy-a-chump-at-oxford_03.webp

No, he won't change.. But he may still improve, and no matter how bad a 3-1 defeat is at the Etihad in a cup semi.. he did get us to a semi final, and we are still in another cup, I want to see how it plays out, and see who his targets are for the summer.
If one of them is a keeper and a DM then I would give him another season, if not I would change him. Our CB trio are very good imo, despite some people wanting us to improve them, but for its worth noting that, although we conceded 3 goals yesterday, it was clearly due to our defensive tactics not our players. He needs a defensive coach. Get these things and I could see a hugely exciting future for us.

If there is no sign of at least most of the issues getting resolved by midway through this summer then I would say get rid, until then he still has my backing. So no, not so much a contradiction as a bit more optimism, hope and a little more patience than many that things will change :)

If he does go, then I want us to start from a blank page though. No essence of Moyes or Martinez style involved.
Mate I'm very much an optimist but he's finally exhausted all my optimism while he remains in charge.
This is not a dig at you, but just to respond to the points in bold:
  • He did get us to a semi-final, true. After we scraped past Barnsley, Reading and Norwich he ballsed it up with his dreadful line-up and worse subs.
  • True we're still in the FA cup. We haven't played in it yet! - EDIT: sorry, we beat Dagenham (thanks @Allezfan)
  • We've seen how the last 18 months have played out. Is this not bad enough?
  • What about targets for now? Getting £8m for Naismith is only good business if you improve the squad with it. But instead of that, he claims the squad is too big?!
  • He's got a keeper and a dm there in Joel and Besic. One only plays the cup games, one has only just started getting a game because of McCarthy's injury.
  • He's shown no interest in defensive tactics and so there's no chance of a defensive coach coming in.
  • Again, 18 months of this is more than enough patience.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back