Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the timely reminder, I've not seen that stat for about 20 seconds so it's always handy.

Honestly we are going to mention this stat till the end of season but yeah people may think it takes time but personally 4th is the maximum achievement given this club is skint. Whether how long it may take him to do it we never know but if he really wants to achieve anything he needs to set up an effective defence first and forthmost not trying to score more than the opposition.

You have to admit he's assembled a nice team and we'd never have had that under Moyes. Don't be mean, he's a really nice bloke and I want him to turn it around. Come on Bob, you can do it.
No good having a good team if you can't get them playing well.

Moyes was one of the best bargain spotters in Europe when he was with us and would get the best out of the players he had.

If he had a lukaku during his time we'd be doing much better than we are now

I didn't want him from day one. In his first season the team still had moyes organization and steel and he added a bit of flare so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But the alarm bells really started to ring when that lot across the park hammered us at their place 5_0 and it could have been 8 that night. He played stones at right back and we where a shambles. From then on its gone from bad to worse. Again last season I gave him the benefit of the doubt cause the players had all been to the world cup and we had the Europa league to deal with. This season he has no excuses, player for player one of the top teams in the league almost every one of them internationals one of the most prolific goal scorers in Europe and look where we are. I rest my case.OUT!

It was 4-0 but I sympathise with the points made.

However, I haven't jumped into the out camp just yet - we would need to have someone seriously attractive ready to replace him before he should go.

I remember Billy Bingham, Mike Walker, Walter Smith etc none of whom were any great shakes

Time to go. Last year I said I'll give him until Christmas. Nothing changed. We've got some of the most highly rated young players in Europe and theres just no excuses for the majority of our performances last season and so far this season.

Martinez is deluded. If he was more open to trying new ideas then we would have a better chance of success. The man is stubborn and unfortunately he just isn't suited to a side who realistically should be challenging for Europe at the very least.

For me personally, he managed to talk his way in to the job promising champions league football and had one good season when our attacking play clicked- We had a new style and a lot of teams struggled to handle us. Towards the end of the season it became less and less effective. It's gone downhill since and I believe that's simply because teams have sussed us out now. His refusal to move away from his philosophy and try new ideas/tactics is ruining us.

If we had a half decent board who actually challenged and questioned the performances of its employee's then maybe there would be more pressure on him to change. The main reason I hope there is a takeover is to end the comfortable mentality at Everton. There is no pressure on anyone right through the club.

Moyes was one of the best bargain spotters in Europe when he was with us and would get the best out of the players he had.

In comparison, Martinez has more resources than Moyes. Correct me if I am wrong.

You have to admit he's assembled a nice team and we'd never have had that under Moyes. Don't be mean, he's a really nice bloke and I want him to turn it around. Come on Bob, you can do it.
I keep hearing this, why would we never have this type of team under Moyes?

It's like people are saying Moyes was crap in the transfer market when in actual fact that was his biggest strength!

He got nowhere near the backing Martinez has had and still managed to build a team that was top 7 every year picking up gems from the bargain bucket!

He wouldn't have bought Lukaku cause he couldn't hold the ball up. Yes he was OK in the transfer market I won't argue with that. Pointless comparing the two anyway as its not about that.

Comparisons between Martinez and Ferguson/Kendall are disgraceful. By that logic Mike Walker deserved more time. Ferguson had been a multiple trophy winner and Kendall had showed his ability at Blackburn and also showed he could learn from initial errors. His success was built on great recruitment and great team spirit, a team knowing exactly what they were doing who could dominate physically or with their football. Both managers put winning above anything and both had a picture in their mind of how to do it. Yes they might have taken a bit of time but they knew what it took and were ruthless when they needed to be.

Martinez is none of these things. He seems to have changed his 'philosophy' so many times that no one knows how we're supposed to play, three different seasons have thrown out three different ways of playing. He does not value winning above all else, and does not even value defensive solidity, for him it's not about consistency but an ideological road trip. He has also shown himself to be weak, inconsistent and unfair with selection, and at times a pathological liar who has an annoying trait of blaming everyone and everything before himself. If ever questioned, him and his squad refuse to accept fair criticism and have gone as far to blame the fans.

So please can someone point out any genuine parallels between Martinez and two of Britain's greatest ever managers before throwing about this lazy comparison to have a go at concerned fans.

Fair comment.

The reason we're snatching defeat from the jaws of victory so often is down to the poor defensive organisation of the team as a whole and gung ho game management.

So for it to change, he's going to have to dramatically alter both major aspects of his management style. Is he going to do so in the next month or 2? I can't see it, he's stubborn and believes he's right, I think we'll see more of the same between now and May personally.

If he proves me wrong then good on him, but I doubt he will. In which case May would be the time to bullet him. If we finish in or around where we are now then he's under achieved for the second season running, and it'd be time to bring in a new manager.

And there is zero chance of this happening. Dead man walking until the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back