Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not think since the league season has effectively been over for us for a long time that we could have brought through some youth players this season? Now would be the perfect time to blood some. By youth players I mean actual academy prospects not young players Martinez deliberately bought for the first team like Lukaku Deulofeu and Besic.

Not really...the manager is trying to save his job at this point I reckon. If he threw in the towel bringing in young players, I reckon there would be even more hell to pay with our supporters.

I don't get this latest line of argument. You praised Martinez to the hilt for bringing us into the 21st century with beautiful free flowing football, even claiming that results didn't matter as much. I could half buy it at times in the first season, I could sort of see what he was trying to do with the team.

Now what you're essentially advocating in order to get results is: scrapping our best full back pairing in prem history (there'll be no shortage of takers for these btw) as well as one of the best out and out young footballers (Stones) I've ever seen. In their place you want to see two centrebacks (Galloway and Browning) play out of position and stay in a flat back 4 with some 'leader' centreback in Stones' place. You'd then have two holding mids in front of that so that we could play counterattacking football.

In the same breath though you'll slam Leicester for kick and rush football and say we're playing football touched by the gods. Got to say mate a back 4 of Galloway Jags Mori and Browning won't be playing much togger. Lennon McCarthy and Clev are hardly flair players either (I rate Lennon very highly but he's not a David Silva type).

To me it sounds as though you've realised that the total football which is plan A (Stones, Deulofeu, Kone, overlapping fullbacks, front foot possession football) was failing in terms of results. So you're now advocating moving to a pragmatic counterattacking game with 4 centrebacks and 2 holding mids in order to get results. No doubt you'll still peddle the myth though that the football was brilliant as Browning was again lining up another long diagonal to Lukaku's head. Frankly it's the sort of team line up that would not have been out of place under Smith and is a massive step back from the standard of football we had under Moyes (creative midfielders, attacking full backs, front foot football).

Minion status right now..
latest

As the poll states...even winning the cup isn't enough at this point...and I agree. Our home supporters have had their say and have had enough.
Because league and cup football require a very different approach. One that beyond the first season he can't get right and made very few attempts to. Chelsea was the only bloody defensively resilient game I can recall. Even then Costa missed an open goal. I can't be arsed explaining it for a third time today :(

Not really...the manager is trying to save his job at this point I reckon. If he threw in the towel bringing in young players, I reckon there would be even more hell to pay with our supporters.

The crowd like nothing better than one of our own coming good. Martinez could save the big guns for the cup and rightfully claim to be building a new generation. Leading your first team squad to the worst home season in our history whilst a bench of Mirallas Deulofeu Besic Niasse Oviedo and Stones look on is just embarassing him more and more every week.

Despite the sarcasm i'm taking this as another one for el plotterz. Please change your vote and take an induction pack.

Nah...my view hasn't changed other than I simply don't think our fans have the patience at this point to see this thing through.

We can't go into another season with completely terrible home support. The results will remain the same if we do. Change is the only way we can hope the support improves at this point, which will lead to better results. We need a bear pit...but not aimed at our own team.

Nah...my view hasn't changed other than I simply don't think our fans have the patience at this point to see this thing through.

We can't go into another season with completely terrible home support. The results will remain the same if we do. Change is the only way we can hope the support improves at this point, which will lead to better results. We need a bear pit...but not aimed at our own team.

It's the other way round, the team need to play with an intensity that creates an atmosphere. The crowd aren't going to be bouncing round setting off flares when our defenders and keeper are strolling about half asleep knocking 5 yard passes to each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back