Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Massive?

Its a non factor game versus a non factor team in a dead rubber league game.

It's more than 3pts Mout.

It's a 'kin proper hearty chortle at the fumefest from them stoats while on the way home. It's knowing that even though we've been shabbite, they've lost to us on their own turf, in front of their gurning beaut of a manager that's some sort of tactical demi-god (allegedly).

It might just get the media strirring it up for them as well....

And it's just gotta be good for morale going into a semi-final, hasn't it?

Just because we've done sod all in the league doesn't mean you shouldn't be arsed about 'just another derby game.'

Points make prizes n all that....

batman_walls_closing_in.jpg

Dave the jarg Batman, the two walls @ianefc and @Brownie

No, Dave is right on this occasion.

Who remembers where we finished in the league in 1966, 1984 or 1995?

None but the uber anoraks among us.

Indeed, who even cares?

Even less people, I'll be bound.

But what does every bugger in Evertonia remember about those three years?

Why, Eddie Kavanagh, Elton John and The Farm ;)

FTR.....we finished 12th, 7th and 15th respectively.

Better yet, the league form and final placings improved dramatically the season after the boost of winning the Cup.

Precedent suggests an F.A. Cup victory is a shot in the arm for EFC.

So I won't be fretting over our final league position this season if we wind up running round Wembley with the Cup ;)

Because I know few will remember it and even less will care.

COYB

:dance:

I for the most part also agree with that from a looking back at history standpoint. It doesn't make everything exactly Rosey in the garden with Martinez. I'll have to admit it would buy him a season or two but he really has to kick on in a big way next season to change my mind if we win the cup. I'm finding it hard to believe he could when I take everything into consideration.

I see myself saying this and my younger self is saying 'jay, are you actually saying that about an Everton manager who may win the FA bloody cup?!?!?' But the circumstances are just more complicated than that.

Last edited:

Unfortunately it's just not like that. Most of the Goodison match day crowd have been going for years and therefore don't view it the same way as you. I'm a season ticket holder and I used to love it. But now I absolutely hate going the game in all honesty, because the chances are I'll witness another wretched display and have to put up with the corner of away fans pogo-ing up and down 2, 3 or 4 times a game. The only reason I renew is because it enables me to get tickets for away games and cup games, which I still enjoy. But going to Goodison is an awful experience which I can't even be arsed with anymore, and that can only be changed by improved performances on the pitch. I'm not asking us to win every home game, but to not even put the effort in and be beaten after 10 minutes of a match like against Arsenal, makes me think what is even the point

This is exactly why I feel that change is the only way forward at this point.

It's more than 3pts Mout.

It's a 'kin proper hearty chortle at the fumefest from them stoats while on the way home. It's knowing that even though we've been shabbite, they've lost to us on their own turf, in front of their gurning beaut of a manager that's some sort of tactical demi-god (allegedly).

It might just get the media strirring it up for them as well....

And it's just gotta be good for morale going into a semi-final, hasn't it?

Just because we've done sod all in the league doesn't mean you shouldn't be arsed about 'just another derby game.'

Points make prizes n all that....

Im arsed mate, I just dont value it higher than a Semi Final, not when it means little in terms of league placing.

On the day, I will get nervous, I will pray and I will will us to victory, of course the derby means more than ANY other league game, but this 1, in the grand scale of things means "little". Im from an age in which the winners of the derby won the league, won a cup, im aware of its "size".

Kinda does mate.

Not really though. It just means they are there...certainly doesn't equal actually supporting the players.

Depends on how professional you are.

I won't claim to have played professional sports, but I did play amateur basketball in front of several thousand a handful of times. Nothing felt better than silencing an away crowd and watching defeat creep into the opponent's eyes. Sadly I feel like that is happening with our team at the moment.

Thats a poor attitude if you dont mind me saying go and sit down and have a cup of tea ....
This year we are going to do the kopites bigtime home drubbing 4 nil .... pride restored
Mate I have spent years thinking the same and to be honest we just can't seem to beat them. Ive seen far too many poor derbies from us that the game has lost meaning, there isn't even any bragging rights anymore if we do win.

It probably is a poor attitude but hey, that's just me. Its.not that I don't care, its just a game that serves disappointment far too regularly.

Back four plus GK will be reconstituted in the summer. No question of that.

For me: out would go Baines and Stones. Coleman would just about be retained given his performances all told this season. Keep Jagileka but take the armband off him. Funes Mori and Galloway retain. Bring in a new RB cover and a LB. Bring in a CB who can lead and organise his defence and a top GK.

That would sort it.

I must admit i loved the fact you advocated the playing of Browning and Galloway at fb earlier on though Dave, so that was us basically palyign an entire back 4 of cb's - trying to remember who else does that - oh yeah tony Pullis does it doesn't he

Hmmm so Martinez entire phillosophy centres around a back 4 that is comfortable on the ball, and you want to sell the most creative player in the back 4 - in Baines, and the one player who is naturally comfortable taking it out from the back and in fact has been lauded for it - in Stones.

You reckon when we play these 4 centre backs and the world top Goalie we need to buy that we should still play two defensive midfielders then Dave and a defensive minded winger as well, 8 primarily defensive players should be able to keep us in the low 50's of goals conceded with Martinez in charge i reckon, or you reckon we will be alright with 4cb's and two holding midfielders and just go with the 7 defensive players mate?

Think i have sussed you out now Dave, you have realsied that Martinez is utterly useless at sorting a defense out so are now advocating selling half the defence, bringing in 2-3 starters each season who may be able to defend for a year before martinez gets them going backwards and wrecking them...

You sure you have never broken your leg in a cup final at Wembey Dave?

Mate I have spent years thinking the same and to be honest we just can't seem to beat them. Ive seen far too many poor derbies from us that the game has lost meaning, there isn't even any bragging rights anymore if we do win.

It probably is a poor attitude but hey, that's just me. Its.not that I don't care, its just a game that serves disappointment far too regularly.

I know what you mean but this year is different. We have to win, if Martinez truly `gets` Everton like he said he does
he needs to orchestrate not just a win but a proper kicking, the derby and the semi will be the biggest tests of his career

A derby win in a convincing manner ( kopite kicking 5 nil ) will set us up for the semi, that is why its important I feel.

The feel good factor would help massively. I am no fence sitter though and still think he should be measured on his league form which simply is not good enough. If we win the derby then the semi is only 3 days away so not enough time for us to suddenly go crap, like we always have done given a break of 7 days ..

Stones didnt get near the team though under moyes, neither did Dier or Mustafi and both went on to some acclaim elsewhere.

I don't expect Galloway to be first team, i do want to see galloway to be filling in whenever there is an injury or whatever else. that id what i mean about trusting younger players, give them just an important role in the team, and give them chances to shine rather than loan them out and hope they come back as world beaters.

Yeah but if its just bit parts when there were injuries, how does Vaughn, Vellios, Anichebe, Duffy, Gosling, that useless left winger we had I can't remember the name of, and so on not fit into that category?
Let alone mentioning, Rodwell, Coleman, Barkley, Rooney and co that were on their way into the first team, what was Lescott 23? that probably counts as a young player too doesn't he?
Moyes did plenty.. Martinez did plenty.. tbf its all good from both of them from a youth perspective, Martinez is perhaps doing a little more around the first team as he has the personnel to do it, many because of the work of his predecessor, many he bought in himself, I'm not suggesting Martinez has failed or done less, its just one manager got hammered for his part, the other is getting praised constantly about it. Doesn't seem right to me.

Between the two, the number of young players to get first team football is pretty exemplary and both Martinez AND Moyes has played a very significant part in that.

Oh and my bad re Stones, Moyes just bought him, not played him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back