Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good post that.

So who are we after? Koeman? The fella at Bournemouth. I'd prefer a Brit if I'm honest and ideally an ex-Evertonian. Unsworth?

This is all hypothetical, but we should be courting top managers, then when a time comes to change we approach the top one on our list and offer him whatever he needs to convince him. That is how you go for a top manager, none of them shortlist. The sort of interviewing that we saw both Everton and Liverpool doing for Martinez and Rodgers was embarassing. No top manager would agree to that. Our shortlist was crushingly short of ambition, Martinez, Neville, Stubbs, Unsworth, Weir. For a club of our statute that was criminal, even more so when you see Southampton Spurs and Leicester attracting the likes of AVB, Pochettino, Ranieri, Koeman. Yes, not all brilliant successes but they showed the ambition to target big European names and land them. Even Watford with Flores. We are now reaping what we sowed for showing zero ambition to win trophies. If the decision really was made on whether Martinez won the cup or not then that was an absolutely idiotic criteria for picking a manager. I suspect though, if Aguero had buried his chances and City had won 4-1 in that final Martinez would still have been our manager. Everton hiring a relegated manager, it really does beggar belief.

Unsworth? lol Come on, mate. I think we should be looking at a top manager, someone like Emery who is out of contract in the summer.

You get my point though, no? Why wouldn't we develop within like Bournemouth? Saves a ton of cash, suspicion and have the fans 100% backing. I feel clubs are always looking for proven results elsewhere rather than what's already working for us now.

Haha you can't even see the irony. With all these improvements he's made we're slipping further down the table; how does that work

Basic errors. The lack of killer instinct. You said it yourself, boss players, great togger, that's all Martinez. Individual lapses are costing us time and time again, the kind of stuff it's difficult to account for.

You get my point though, no? Why wouldn't we develop within like Bournemouth? Saves a ton of cash, suspicion and have the fans 100% backing. I feel clubs are always looking for proven results elsewhere rather than what's already working for us now.

I'm afraid I wholeheartedly disagree with your point mate. Now is not the time to be offering the managers job to totally unproven quantities in an effort to save money. Instead, we should be using our riches to attract the best.

It sure is. Even his detractors can admit that he has improved our personnel and playing style markedly over the course of his tenure. The only thing that can be reasonably levelled at him, and it's a fairly outstanding complaint, is that he hasn't been able to stamp the sort of character that grinds out results on a consistent basis. If he gets the boot, it will be for that and that alone, in every other respect he has improved EFC significantly.

erm, so the mid table league position, the number of goals conceded, the number of football matches actually won over the last 18 months, we should all just forget about them should we?

Those things can't be levelled against him can they not? OK, as you where! lol

Martinez is really putting into context what Moyes did. Best of the rest used to be sneered at when the top 4 was almost impregnable (although Moyes did crack it once). If we got 5th now Davek would be proclaiming the second coming and that's with the league wide open.

No one has done a similar job in the prem (take a relegation threatened side and entrench them in the top 7 on a negative net spend selling your best players each year). Hughes is being lauded for effectively taking Stoke from lower midtable to midtable. O'Neill used to get praised to the hilt for that Villa side that routinely finished behind Moyes' Everton. Pardew has one fifth placed finish at Newcastle and dined out on it for years. Outside of the mega managers at mega clubs (and seemingly Ranieri this season) none come close to the job Moyes did here despite having a lot more money and resources to attempt it.

Quite literally this. Because of the way he left, many people just write off everything he did for us. I think we all just felt like we needed a fresh start, when in reality I think moyes would love to have had a £28m striker in his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back