Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm afraid I wholeheartedly disagree with your point mate. Now is not the time to be offering the managers job to totally unproven quantities in an effort to save money. Instead, we should be using our riches to attract the best.

Yeah I get we shouldn't be cap in hand. Spending big might also work - didn't hurt with Lukaku so you might be right.

Would you not rather own our training ground and see more coming out of that? United had 15 years out of the Becks, Butt Nevile, Gigges, Scholes crew. The quick fix thing sees clubs like Southampton, Stoke etc bobbing around a place or too higher for a bit and then what?

It's Martinez out for me. We have basically the same squad as his first year and, overall, we have gotten worse over the course of his tenure. Refuses to drop under performing players. Lacks the ability to organize a defence. Overall inability to make effective tactical changes. Lacks game management ability. Too many points dropped from winning positions.

I understand he has brought in good players, and in fairness, the club is rudderless due to a feckless board and executive staff. However, if the manager says his goal is to win games, he's failed to deliver, especially at home where our form used to be solid. He needs to be sacked, and a proven manager with a respectable winning track record appointed.

He was a breath of fresh air when he first arrived, especially after the dour one, but he is all too predictable now. No matter how we play the same players continue, the same excuses after poor performances and never ever sorting the issue out of conceding poor avoidable goals.

The man isn't going to take us forward sadly.

erm, so the mid table league position, the number of goals conceded, the number of football matches actually won over the last 18 months, we should all just forget about them should we?

Those things can't be levelled against him can they not? OK, as you where! lol

That's kind of what I'm trying to say. The results have been a symptom of one giant flaw which our talent, personnel and organisation has little to do with.

Will always remember the atmosphere at the first game,after our Blessed Walter was sacked, gave us all a big lift.

Without trying to be biased, apart from the Wigan QF I can't remember too many horrific atmospheres throughout the Moyes tenure. I think there was always a feel amongst most of the fans that we were moving forward as one even if we took a setback. Immediately after that Wigan game we beat City in a great atmosphere. The Wigan game was also the only time I can remember that there was open player dissent to the crowd. There was also some absolutely brilliant atmospheres such as United home 04/05, Fiorentina 07/08, Sunderland away 11/12, United home 12/13, and they're just off the top of my head.

Under Martinez though I've heard the crowd booing at half time and full time more in one season than the whole of Moyes' reign. Substitutes have been booed off and onto the pitch. The football has been booed even when in front. Howard and Stones seem to be waging a battle with the lower gwladys, the manager and senior players have had a pop at the fans repeatedly.

Then you move onto the atmosphere. Says a lot when the away games coming from behind v lower league teams have been some of the highlights, maybe the Old Trafford win as well in the first season. But at the semi final first leg the other week it was awful, equally in some of the big European games.

The fans haven't changed. The difference is most of them felt like Moyes was taking us on a journey, it had its ups and downs but for the most part the fans were as one behind the team and the manager. Martinez is taking the fans for a ride and despite more patience than he deserves the relationship has finally severed. Instead of trying to win us back though, him and some of the players have criticised and patronised and generally displayed an arrogant lackadaisical approach to football matches. The lineups for two of our biggest games of the season were embarassing.

Incidentally, it's 2 years to the day we were royally bummed 4-0 at the pit, everybody feel better?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back