Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Basic errors. The lack of killer instinct. You said it yourself, boss players, great togger, that's all Martinez. Individual lapses are costing us time and time again, the kind of stuff it's difficult to account for.

It's only difficult to account for if you ignore the blindingly obvious - e.g. we have a weak mentality which has resulted in us being a soft touch especially at home and liable to capitulate at any moment.

There are those who are blind because they cannot see, and then there are those who are blind because they refuse to see.

It's only difficult to account for if you ignore the blindingly obvious - e.g. we have a weak mentality which has resulted in us being a soft touch especially at home and liable to capitulate at any moment.

Maybe account for was the wrong choice of words. "Address" might be more appropriate. The lack of a winning mentality is contagious, spreading from one game to the next and getting worse. It will be difficult to rail in, because the memories of our most recent capitulation will always be in mind when we go ahead unless we start putting a run of wins together. As crazy as it sounds to people who are fuming from one game to the next, I think Roberto has been a fantastic manager but for this one fatal flaw. A bit of steel and we'd be an incredible side.

Anyone who hasn't seen enough by now never will, We have no passion tempo intensity or courage on the pitch no more, We just stand off the ball and sit deep jockeying players without putting a foot in or making any physical contact with the opposition. Then try and hit on the counter with a manager who's philosophy is supposedly possession.

We get out worked by the smaller teams and out classed by the bigger teams.

I'd really like to support any manager who is in the chair,it's the Everton way.But with the squad at his disposal this season he just can't seem to get good players to get results.Finding someone from the available stock who can, is the challenge

I didn't want Martinez, then warmed to him in the first season, now I'm unsure how much further we're going to get with the 'we're gonna score one less than you!' philosophy.

I've voted to get rid of 'the excuse making, breaker of dreams and creator of frustration'.

Last season I said he should be given more time. Sadly though, he just doesn't appear able to learn from his mistakes. Also his moaning is embarrassing to say the least.

When Moyes left, I felt he did so not able to do any more with the team in terms of progress. But I also felt that we had a team not too far away from better things; we just needed to appoint the right Manager capable of building on the foundation that was left, and moving us up another level. Now, it seems, we need to appoint a Manager to get us back to where we were before Roberto Martinez took charge.

I think a lot of people (me included) were so dazzled by his first season, they keep hoping it will return. However, with hindsight,mi think what we saw that season, was what Everton could have been had Moyes taken the shackles off them! Season two, all his defensive training and nous had been brainwashed out of them and we are now Wigan :( the sad thing is if the two could be persuaded to work together as attacking and defensive coaches, we would probably win the league!

I presume the letter to 365 pointing out the following stats has already been posted?

I'm going to post them again:

– Six league wins all season. Three wins since September which were against the current bottom three.
– 34 goals conceded in 23 league games.
– Most points dropped from winning positions this season.
– 110 – ONE HUNDRED AND TEN – goals conceded since the start of 2014/15 season.
– 18 wins in last 62 games.

I think a lot of people (me included) were so dazzled by his first season, they keep hoping it will return. However, with hindsight,mi think what we saw that season, was what Everton could have been had Moyes taken the shackles off them! Season two, all his defensive training and nous had been brainwashed out of them and we are now Wigan :( the sad thing is if the two could be persuaded to work together as attacking and defensive coaches, we would probably win the league!

First season bored me senseless, rode our luck game after game, United and Newcastle and so on missing absolute sitters against us, and us taking points because of it, passing it around slowly for 10 minutes before losing it and going again, relying on wonderstrikes and individual driving runs to get anything. (Fortunately Coleman, Mirallas, Barkley, Lukaku and co kept coming up with them).

Last season was the same only without the luck and the results.

This season has been the first season I've actually enjoyed the attacking play we do, proper team based build ups and both team and individual quality shown throughout.. For me its far better in the way we play than the first season... in the oppositions half of course...

In our half though its beyond a joke.

Why we can't actually tackle an opponent?
Or even mark someone who's so outnumbered that spotting the opposing striker in our penalty area is like playing where's Wally, only a bit easier because its invariably the one the pass actually reaches.

I like what he's done with us going forwards, and our goal haul shows clearly that offensively we are a really impressive unit and have taken huge leaps forwards.

Our goals conceded clearly show the problem. And its abysmal, we defend like a poor version Holloway's Blackpool.

Sadly, our league position currently is entirely accurate in its reflection of how we are, if not a little bit kind to us currently. But its that magic word potential that keeps me from wanting him out.

He has it, the squad has, they just havn't realised their potential yet, and if they continue this form for much longer, I suspect they never will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back