Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Roberto Martinez Discussion - Including Live Poll (Poll Reset 1st May)

Martinez in or out?

• In

• Out

• Getting splinters eating cheese on toast on the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always think with these polls it's best to give them a few days after the result until people are thinking a little more reasonably.

A lot of upset Evertonians out there today, if someone offered me a magic wand to fix it all id happily pay good money for it.

Continually changing managers is not that magic wand though.

Having the exact person you want available would be a help but we're seemingly about to change ownership so who would do the appointing?

Putting an interim manager in place now until the end of the season will very likely make us even worse and open a window for our best young players to angle their way out of the club in the process.

Cool heads needed.
It goes way beyond last night mate, that was just the tipping point for many.

I agree that sacking him now is neither going to happen or would be prudent as it'd leave a potential unsettling inertia in the dressing room.

However, come May his performance needs to be taken at face value and if we finish in and around where we are now, it just isn't good enough, and he'll have failed for the second successive season. So he'd fully deserve the boot and should receive it.

Barring a dramatic upturn in performance - which would take a fundamental change in his tactical approach. I think he's a dead man walking - assuming the takeover happens that is......

Taking a step back I think he's probably done for anyway as there is a large swell in the fanbase that don't want him there (for right or wrong).

Even if he does pull out of this I think every time he goes through a dip there just isn't the goodwill there - like there was with Moyes and his crap first half of seasons - that will pull him through it.

Suppose we will see.

I think you're right.

He could win the fanbase back by being a little more pragmatic and working on his, and the teams weaknesses,but I just don't think it's in his nature to compromise in that way. I love the bloke and hope he learns from his mistakes and sorts things out, but I love the club more than the manager.

People often make the comparison with Howard's first stint in charge, but Howard was a better manager than Martinez and understood the importance of all parts of the team, I'm not convinced Martinez has got that yet.

It's not so much the results that matter for rest of the season, it's about turning generally poor defensive qualities into something more solid, and looking like the penny's dropped. If he can't do that and he totally loses the fanbase then his position will become untenable.

I think you're right.

He could win the fanbase back by being a little more pragmatic and working on his, and the teams weaknesses,but I just don't think it's in his nature to compromise in that way. I love the bloke and hope he learns from his mistakes and sorts things out, but I love the club more than the manager.

People often make the comparison with Howard's first stint in charge, but Howard was a better manager than Martinez and understood the importance of all parts of the team, I'm not convinced Martinez has got that yet.

It's not so much the results that matter for rest of the season, it's about turning generally poor defensive qualities into something more solid, and looking like the penny's dropped. If he can't do that and he totally loses the fanbase then his position will become untenable.

I'm not - (and after looking over previous results/clubs/games) - convinced he EVER will either. EVER.

Which, wherever you stand, is a bit sad really. A nice, knowledgeable guy who's destined, I feel, to become a 'nearly man'. He'd do brilliantly in the Scottish or at a smaller Spanish outfit.

Possibly.

Beat Carlisle and Newcastle and this all goes back in the box.

I love the forums, but the amount of utter horse manure that gets posted about this manager being on the brink is laughable. He's been on the brink for over 12 months. He's still here, and we'll crack on to that top half of the table nothingness that we reached under Moyes, and that'll be it. Done and dusted for another season. Are some really expecting May to arrive and then, on the basis of the above, sweeping managerial changes are made? Why? Because the fan base are split on the issue? Pfffft!

No club in our financial circumstances are sacking managers who get midtable.

Gary Monk was sacked after going on a run of 1 win in 11. Martinez is on a run of 1 win in 10.

I think we can all agree that Martinez has a much better squad of players to work with too.
Monk was sacked because he wouldn't wear a DoF sticking their nose in. He was being undermined and tipped for the sack when they were top half.

I love the forums, but the amount of utter horse manure that gets posted about this manager being on the brink is laughable. He's been on the brink for over 12 months. He's still here, and we'll crack on to that top half of the table nothingness that we reached under Moyes, and that'll be it. Done and dusted for another season. Are some really expecting May to arrive and then, on the basis of the above, sweeping managerial changes are made? Why? Because the fan base are split on the issue? Pfffft!

Allardyce was effectively sacked by West Ham
Pulis left Stoke by "mutual consent"

If Martinez leaves then I'd guess we see the term mutual consent bandied about.

Hahaha the state of that post

Allardyce was effectively sacked by West Ham
Pulis left Stoke by "mutual consent"

If Martinez leaves then I'd guess we see the term mutual consent bandied about.
I'm not talking about the semantics of it. Those examples happened when there was a will on both sides to call it a day. I don't see us in that place at all.

New ownership might change the equation. As we stand there'll be no action, IMO.

The easiest thing to do at times like these (as with last winter) is to go along with collective social media driven hysteria over a question that isn't on the radar of decision makers.

Things can change, but that's where I see us right now.

Serious question. What do you see that I don't?

Whilst I see what he offers attacking wise he has never proved (to me) that he can set up a defence. Its so frustrating as we had a glimpse of what a team with his attacking and a Moyes type defence in his first season. I just can't see that happening again without serious help from a Moyes type (not him) assistant but he just won't budge on his principals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back